All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:26 am

Post subject: Is the Lord of the rings/ Hobbit game stopping?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:58 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Seems they are stopping quite alot of stuff

and alot of the new stuff is quite pricey

Merry Mounted
Pippin Mounted
6 Ringwraiths
Madril
 Post subject: Re: Is the Lord of the rings/ Hobbit game stopping?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

In short, yes, probably.

I'm not expecting expansions, sourcebooks, or continued support once Battle of Five Armies is out (even though I weep for no Dale expansion), though I am expecting BoFA itself to be very well supported with releases - I'm actually anticipating the biggest Hobbit release yet, though maybe spread through the year due to the weekly schedule they have these days. Once that's out give it a year or two until it goes direct only, and then it'll either stop when their licence expires or just dwindle away (depending on whether they're allowed to sell their remaining stock when the license expires - I have no idea how these things tend to work). I don't expect them to renew their license - they seem very keen to sell nothing but warhammer sub brands, and entirely their own IP (even to the point of making sweeping. alterations to warhammer stuff to make it more unique for IP purposes)

But one thing to bear in mind - the game doesn't rely on some server that Gw operates to function - once GW stops selling the game (hopefully it'll be sold in some form, or another for a good few years yet, license pending) they don't come to your house and take away your miniatures. SBG thrives on it's community - to a far greater extent than Warhammer. We are all in this for love of middle earth, and that love lived long before GW, and will live long after. So long as that love endures then this place will, and therefore so will things like the GBHL tornaments. Expect fan produced sourcebooks to start coming out, along with novel ways to use non Gw minis in the game in a manner that is fitting and consistent with the tone of the setting.

I know that myself, and a lot of posters on this forum I've chatted to, are in this for the long haul. The rush for us is to get the stuff that's going oop before it does, to bulk out the armies we have that still need bulking out (I'm nearing on 600 points per faction almost by now, and with 8 uruk crossbows, 4 berserkers and 8 fountain guard in the post to me right now) and to - hopefully - be able to look at a fantastic collection of miniatures when we're doddery old men and still feel that love that I spoke of earlier.

There's also always the good chance that when Gw does stop, some other company will see this community and think "Well, if you don't want it..." Knight models has made some brilliant character sculpts for Hobbit, and if the license is up for grabs when the game is finaly dropped, expect more than one company to seriously consider it. Middle Earth is a poor fit for GW, their business strategy, and the amount of money they need to make to support their stores. It'd be a perfect fit elsewhere, and expect someone else to see that.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I find it funny how some OOP items selling for next to nothing on ebay but others go for massive amounts.

Merry Mounted
Pippin Mounted
6 Ringwraiths
Madril
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:46 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

WillowtheWisp wrote:
I find it funny how some OOP items selling for next to nothing on ebay but others go for massive amounts.

well that is just basic economics

you dont find many mahud kings and gandalf the grey mounted around, but you sure can find a lot of legolas models.. and almost evryone has one or more of him.. so many more bidders for the mahdud etc.

I find it not to funny, it is a bit sad, but I paid my wedding with it so not to sad... :oops:

prov. 27:17
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I really hate to say it but I think as soon as the hype of The Hobbit film trilogy runs its course the whole Middle-Earth theme in GW will end.

The LOTR SBG got me into this utterly astounding hobby a little over a decade ago, and the same range brought me back a year or two after the War of the Ring rulebook was released. Then, once again, with the Goblin Town release I was enthusiastic about painting tiny pieces of plastic to my hearts content all over again. Then GW delivered three main blows to hobbyists like myself that made me reconsider my hobby and the use of my wallet:

1. Finecast - not majorly problematic, but of the £80 or so I spent on various finecast products I'd say about £60 was a complete waste. To this day I don't know how GW managed to make me part with so much money on an appalling quality of product.

2. Cost - tied with the above. GW is NOT an expensive hobby, all my other friends spend about three times the amount I spend a month on this hobby, and their interests range from athletics to sculpting, to travelling and skiing. But, the costs of the LOTR and Hobbit range ARE excessive.

3. The mutual feeling of others - in my local area, I'd say my GW has lost almost half its customers. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't play the games I just paint and collect, but I know that the seven friends who joined me in my hobby no longer do so, and neither do I. The same goes for many regulars who used to spend days in my local GW, now they sometimes pop in and buy a clam pack, but nowhere near to the level they used to. And I can safely say that having to walk past my store five days a week at both mornings and evenings on my way to and from work, there has never been any more than two customers inside.

I am deeply saddened to say this, but GW made some awful decisions over the past three or four years, that destroyed the hobby for me. I no longer collect LOTR and Hobbit miniatures, and last year sold my entire collection for near enough its original retail value online. Do I miss it, not really. :(

LOTR and Hobbit will end soon enough, as players become less and less willing to put up with the three above points I mentioned. And their own reasons too, like having to put new careers, hobbies and sometimes even families first, rather than whiling away the hours with miniatures and paint pots. After losing hope with the LOTR and Hobbit SBGs, I made the bold and blasphemous move to WHFB, which in my opinion gets much more attention from GW and its customers than any of its other ranges - in my local store at least. So there is hope, I just can't see these two ranges outliving the next three years at all. Sorry guys and gals, but I genuinely raise my cap to those out there who still enjoy these ranges, you're all braver and brighter people than me! 8)