All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 4:20 pm

Post subject: Hello!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just thought Id say Hello.

I started playing Lord of the rings warhammer around 8 years ago with a friend but when he moved away, 2 years after starting playing, I stopped playing for about 3-4 years altogether. Due to another friend playing the other games, I went with him to Warhammer world and I got abit interested again and started just painting a few models, mainly Heroes of both sides. But then I didnt really have enough time on my hands to keep up painting so I stopped again. Now Im back.

Ive started selling some of my army just so I can buy the Heroes figures of both sides just to paint. I havent really read the new rule book, Ive still got the return of the king rule book.

Im not the best painter ever, I cant do faces. My style is more straight flat colours, but Id like to improve. From when I first started to now I can see a big difference.

Ive got to get some new paint as alot of mine are dried up and I havent got a clue what colours are what now. I brought the Escape from Goblin Town boxset. Im selling the Scenery, Goblins, Gandalf, Goblin King/Throne/Grinnah/Scribe on a well known auction site. But I am keeping the Dwarves and Bilbo. I have also brought Saruman Mounted and in the near future plan on getting a Saruman foot figure to replace the one I painted years ago.

Merry Mounted
Pippin Mounted
6 Ringwraiths
Madril
 Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:14 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Welcome to the One Ring. If you're looking to improve your painting skills then you've definitely come to the right place. Despite multiple lengthy breaks from the hobby I have improved my painting skills a lot over the years I've frequented this website thanks to the invaluable feedback and advice I've been given from other members.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you

Do you know if the new paint is easier to use than the old paint? for adding detail to the faces mainly?

Merry Mounted
Pippin Mounted
6 Ringwraiths
Madril
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:29 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Greetings, and welcome to the One Ring!

We all go through periods of enthusiasm and disinterest in our hobbies, but it's always good to welcome someone back to the fold.

The paints aren't really any easier to use, per se, however there has been a shift in the past few years towards a greater use of washes/glazes, which helps you to move away from the flat color issue that you seem to be having. There are a ton of very talented painters around here, and I'm sure that they would be happy to critique your work and offer suggestions. Also, our Tomes of Wisdom library has some fantastic painting guides to help you get started again.

I look forward to seeing some of your work!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hello!

Just some thoughts on painting from someone who is a bad painter, but can achieve not bad results through cheating.

Faces can be tricky, so here's a cheat - paint the face white, a nice thin coat of paint so as not to obscure any detail - and hit it with the new GW Reikland Fleshshade paint. It pools in the recesses, and so does highlighting for you. It may need more than one wash, depending on how heavy you apply it, but I use it for most of my faces and skin to add some detail and definition with zero effort. I only really get stuck in with highlights and such if the mini is a major hero I want to spend more time on.

I'm an awful painter. My hand shakes, my back hurts, I get headaches and am awfully impatient. I'd probably have given up by now if I hadn't learned to be happy with what I can do (and figured out that cheating is entirely worthwhile). Don't try to produce masterpieces like some of the super talented guys here can do. Just try to do a bit better than last time. Ten models later, compare mini number 1 with mini number 10. You'll be pleased.

Don't be afraid to try different techniques - washes are a godsend, coloured spray primers like those sold by Army Painter are also helpful when painting models with a lot of one colour. Uruk hai are very brown, so I used a brown spray and painted on thinned down metal for the armour - the edges show some of the brown basecoat, so it gives a rust effect. I then hit the skin and armour with brown and black shades, and called it a day. I could have spent more time on them, but I just needed them done. You can ALWAYS go back and improve something after the fact - I could return to the uruk hai and highlight them, for instance.

Don't get hung up on colour matching, either. Just go by eye and you'll be grand. The new paints have a system where the "base" paints are thick with pigment, so should go on easily over an undercoat. But the "layer" paints have less pigment, and let the colour beneath bleed through more, so be careful if you try to use a layer paint over a black undercoat. It's wiser to start with a base paint of an appropriate colour, and then do the layer over that. At that stage your basically highlighting anyway - which I think was the point of the new paints, to make it a natural progression for new or unsure painters.