All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:25 pm

Post subject: Nazgul in Dol Guldur (Book lore question)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:37 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

In 2951 Third Age, Khamul and two other ringwraiths recolonise Dol Guldur. Later, when the hunt for the ring begins these three rejoin the others and head to the Shire. After the event of the Ford of Bruinen they 'head shapeless back to their master' or words to that effect. However, after this where do they go?

We know the Witch King and presumably some of the other ringwraiths are present at the Battle of the Pelennor, but as far as I'm aware it is not stated how many other than the Witch King. There is possibly also a nazgul that remained in Minas Morgul area since it is sent to find Frodo and Sam after their escape from Cirith Ungol. It is conceivable though that he may have been in both Minas Tirith and here since it isn't far by Fell Beast.

We know there are no Nazgul at the Battle of Dale. I can't remember the source but I'm pretty sure that is the case. However, did Khamul and any other ringwraiths return to Dol Guldur and lead the forces against Lorien and Thranduil? It seems unlikely that these forces were led simply by an orc chieftain. Or alternatively, were all the nazgul at Minas Tirith.

Personally, I think it would be more likely for Khamul and another wraith or two to lead the forces of Dol Guldur but I'd be interested to hear opinions. Or if I have got any of my facts wrong then please let me know.

Post subject: Re: Nazgul in Dol Guldur (Book lore question)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:45 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The book also states the presence of 'the nazgul' at the Battle at the Black Gates. If this refers to all the nazgul then none can be present at the final battles in the north. However, in the time between the Battle of the Pelennor and that at the Black Gates, Nazgul could have easily flown from Mirkwood to Mordor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

"The two vast iron doors of the Black Gate under its frowning arch were fast closed. Upon the battlement nothing could be seen. All was silent but watchful. [...] Yet they knew that all the hills and rocks about the Morannon were filled with hidden foes, and the shadowy defile beyond was bored and tunnelled by teeming broods of evil things. And as they stood they saw all the Nazgûl gathered together, hovering above the Towers of the Teeth like vultures; and they knew that they were watched. But still the Enemy made no sign."
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:09 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you, thats perfect. Do you think the Nazgul led some of the attacks at Dol Guldur before flying down to the Black Gate? Or were they in Mordor (and at Minas Tirith) all the time?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:50 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I imagine they would have flown down in response to the defeat at the Pelennor, so would have had an opportunity to command the forces in the norh for some time before they recieved Sauron's summons. In their absence, I would hazard a guess that it was a Man who commanded Sauron's northern armies - they were said to be heavily comprised of Easterlings, so one of their warlords or kings would be a likely choice. More loyal and capable than any orc captain, in the absence of one of the Nine.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think that the army assaulting Dale and subsequently Erebor were entirely composed of Easterlings. However, the army from Dol Gulder was Orc and Wolf based. It's this army that might have been commanded by a ringwraith or two rather than a man since there were no Easterlings here. I believe the plan was fro the Easterlings to crush Dale and Erebor and then join with the forces of Dol Guldur in Mirkwood to assault the Elves.