All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:37 pm

Post subject: Dol Guldur army help(lore geniuses please come here lol)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:16 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

For the longest time, Ive wanted to make an army with the Necromancer and I finally want to put one together on paper now.

For one, Im going to use him as my force leader of course.

I plan to upgrade a number of orcs to Dol Guldur Orcs with 4/4+ fight value.
I also probably will put in a Captain or two with the upgrade.

My original ideas include putting in some Black Numenoreans for mix and to combine their terror with the Ancient Evil special rule.

I also had another thought to do a proxied so to speak warband.

I wanted to do like the profiles of a Harad taskmaster/orc taskmaster, 6 half trolls, and 6 haradrim spearmen support. Im going to use their profiles but paint/design them differently as such:

Dol Guldur Taskmaster:
-6 Dol Guldur Troll Kind
-6 Dol Guldur slave men with spears

As a theme, and because in the next movie I saw larger than man but smaller than cave troll sized troll looking creatures.

They also have terror as well. I thought it would be a nice theme.

Furthermore, I need to know what types of units can I use out of Dol Guldur?

I plan on putting in a warband or two of Hunter Orcs and their leaders. I probably wont put Gundabad Orcs in. I may, but I dont like them too much. I might just have to though.

Other than basic orcs, Hunter Orcs, and Gundabad Orcs, what can I throw in here that would keep with theme.

Please no Castellans. I hate them. Lol thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: Dol Guldur army help(lore geniuses please come here lol)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:39 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Dol Guldur is one of my favourites so I will help you with theme.

Well the basic Orcs, Hunter Orcs and Gundabad Orcs would help make a nice core, you can add Orc Trackers to that too as they fit the same type.

Then there are plenty of Wargs around Dol Guldur, so wild Wargs, Fell Wargs and Warg riders are also well themed. As are giant spiders due to them nesting there, so any Giant Spiders, Mirkwood Spiders and Queens, and of course Bat Swarms too.

Also, Olog-hai are found in Dol Guldur as well as Mordor, so that means for now Mordor Trolls and Troll Chieftains work well too with theme, and seige equipment would work too.

Certain other beasts like Cave Drakes could fit too. There could easily be a nest of Drakes within the mountain/hill,which could be called upon to defend it

Then there are the spirits, of course you'll already know about Khamul and the Necromancer, and any other Ringwraiths (but not most of the named one like Betrayer/KoU etc - uyou'd be okay with the Undying, Dwimmerlaik, Tainted, Shadow Lord though. And because of spirits being okay then a few spectres wouldn't go amiss if you wanted them, maybe a Shade if you were feeling particularly nasty, but not Barrow-Wights because they are specific to Angmar.

As for Black Numenoreans, yes they could certainly be there and so could Half Trolls so long as they represented half Orc - half Troll rather than half Man - half Troll.

So you see, there is quite a lot of things that suit Dol Guldur perfectly, in fact so lang as you avoid anything Isengard, Goblins, and The men like Easterlings, Corairs and normal Haradrim, oh and Dragons, the watcher, Balrog too, then you'll find that anything else within reason can be reasonably assumed to be tailered to fit Dol Guldur as it is a very diverse place being a kind of mishmash of whatever Sauron could get hold of.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Goblins, giant spiders, mahud as half orcs. Also, easterlings (balcotch) came from dol guldur during the war of the ring. Perhaps a barrowwight representing a wraith lord. The spider queen perhaps.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thats a very nice response man. Thank you.

Im lacking in wargs although I do have riders. And spiders are out.

I have much of the rest of what you posted though. Maybe I can use another generic wraith as a warband leader too.

Do you have any good suggestion for the half troll-half orc warband?
Technically by the rules Id have to use a leader of Harad as their warband leader but I guess with friends I can literally just make him the orc taskmaster model and be fine with it. Theyre basically the same anyway......

And what else to fill out the warband because Ill probably just use six.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Something unnatural. Deadly too. I would suggest morgul stalkers, and gollum as a tortured prisoner or something like that. :orc:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:24 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
rest of what you posted though. Maybe I can use another generic wraith as a warband leader too.

Yes, they fit the theme perfectly, Sauron had as many as 6 in or around Dol Guldur at any one time.

Technically by the rules Id have to use a leader of Harad as their warband leader but I guess with friends I can literally just make him the orc taskmaster model and be fine with it. Theyre basically the same anyway......

I wouldn't necessarily consider filling that warband unless you happen to have spare points at the end. If you did have plenty of points, you'll find that Black Numenoreans are also in the Harad list which fits the theme, or if you don't have many points use Haradrim warriors as human slave workers.
Either the taskmaster, or a Half Troll model converted into a leader and using the profile of the Mahud King, or (and you'd be pushing it with this last option) The Knight of Umbar.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:25 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

truck22 wrote:
Something unnatural. Deadly too. I would suggest morgul stalkers, and gollum as a tortured prisoner or something like that. :orc:

Morgul Stalkers due suit the theme, but if one is planning on using Hunter Orcs then there is no point, as Morgul Stalkers pay 7pts for an Elven Cloak, which is a little pricey.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
rest of what you posted though. Maybe I can use another generic wraith as a warband leader too.

Yes, they fit the theme perfectly, Sauron had as many as 6 in or around Dol Guldur at any one time.

I wouldn't necessarily consider filling that warband unless you happen to have spare points at the end. If you did have plenty of points, you'll find that Black Numenoreans are also in the Harad list which fits the theme, or if you don't have many points use Haradrim warriors as human slave workers.
Either the taskmaster, or a Half Troll model converted into a leader and using the profile of the Mahud King, or (and you'd be pushing it with this last option) The Knight of Umbar.

Yeah I will have a heavy point guy in the Necromancer so I wont be putting another named wraith. I dont have him anyway. But the idea of the Mahud King profile transformed or human slave workers is good. I did forget the Numenoreans are in there though, so Ill probably either go with slaves or them as a second line in that band. I dont like not filling warbands thats why I asked.

Thanks for all the ideas! I was having a tough time thinking of ideas before, and now its going to be hard limiting with all these great choices. I really, really appreciate the help man. Im great at putting together armies, but now, Id like to make themed ones better.

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
truck22 wrote:

Morgul Stalkers due suit the theme, but if one is planning on using Hunter Orcs then there is no point, as Morgul Stalkers pay 7pts for an Elven Cloak, which is a little pricey.

And OOP and extremely high in price. Yeah...I want to use Hunters. Theyre my favorite and Ive already gotten a bunch of them. It will be an army that is around the period just before the necromancer is out of power and there are hunters and full armies still roaming around.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What is the max point value you are using to build your army? And do you know where the battle will be held? Any details are bound to be helpful. Terrain? Opponent's army?
"...for of all the armies Sauron has commanded since the fall of Morgoth, the garrison of Dol Guldur was the most unnatural." -Mordor sourcebook p.32
If you are trying to get best theamed army at Adepticon, them take it ot heart. Add some castelions, spiders, tracker orcs, M.stalkers. specters, and blk guard. Also any named or un-named ringwraith would be appropriate. GL
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nah man none of that. Its just an army I want to put together. Skys the limit!! Its for fun, and I want to start theming my armies now that my collections gotten huge(in my opinion).

I generally play 750 or 850. Rarely less, and rarely any other numbers. I have some regular opponents who generally always agree upon this.

And no, if you read the adepticon description actually, its 750 max 20 models. A lot of those troops arent going to bode well in that contest. I have many other plans for Adepticon.

Are you going by the way? Im excited!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I got a list for you

Warband 1
The Necromancer
10 orcs of Dol Guldur with hand axes

Warband 2
Captain of the black guard (proxy use an gundabad orc captain)
10 orcs of Dol Guldur with hand axes

Warband 3
Orc Shaman 50
5 Orcs of Dol Guldur with shield
5 Orcs of Dol Guldur with spear

Warband 4
Hunter orc Captain
10 hunter orcs

Warband 5
6 fell wargs

747pts
50 models