Knight of the Pellenor 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other good hero(mention which) 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Other good unit(mention which) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 72
 Post subject: Best Good Hero for his Points in Hero battle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Theres been a lot of new epic heroes put into play with the new releases, and in the Hobbit in general.

Im doing an all hero tournament, and Id like to see opinions on what your guys have seen hopefully, or think generally.

There are way too many to list, so Im going to start with the Newest releases, and go backwards to fit in as many as possibly. Also, Im generally only going to include heros at 100 points or higher.

So........in a 750 all hero contest tournament, who are you likely to field in order for their value in points???

Assume everyone includes a mounted option if available. Thats only common sense to me.

So far if I had to choose a top 5 for their points to survive in an all hero battle Id probably go with:

1. New Dwalin-besides the fact that he will win most fights, he has 3/3/3 and a defense that will sustain him for a long period of time.
2. New Saruman-hes epic. His magic will be invaluable and he will be able to cast more than likely every round, as well as have 3 wounds, and 3/6/3 specials.
3. New Elrond-The fact that hes a good combat troop is nice, his 3/3/3/ are nice, and his spells are nice. The fact that he can heroic strike is absolutely brutal in a contest such as this.
4. New Thranduil-His reason for being low on the list is obvious. He has defense 6. But on foot, you'll rarely find him losing a fight at 4 attacks with a fight value 7.
5. Beorn-Absolute monster on every stat, and exploding with special rules. His reason for being lower is his points cost, and the fact he has to charge whoever he can. Not good for carrying objects such as the ring in a scenario, or holding objectives if a smart opponent draws him away.

Those are my first thoughts for a hero contest. YES, it seems really biased towards the new models, but thats because its an all hero battle.

Id def not have Beorn, Elrond, and likely not Dwalin in the list because two of them are independent heroes, and Elrond only really has a select number of troops he can lead, and wouldnt need to heroic strike every turn in a points match against orcs for example.

Anyway, gentlemen....your thoughts....

Post subject: Re: Best Good Hero for his Points in Hero battle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:56 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Dwalin is 3/2/2 ;) I would say Dwalin is the best. 4 attacks at fight 6 should be enough to beat most heroes. Although I would still argue that Thorin/ dwalin on a pony is better in an all hero list.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

All are really great. Most powerful are the new Saruman who is the best good wizard atm and Beorn, a nice utility for the good side. But if we think the point value, new Thraduil is godlike for his points imo and so I vote him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:36 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

My votes go to:
1.Boromir cotwt with lance, shield and horse: He is a combat beast, the 6 might is very usefull and horn of gondor and shielding can make him very durable.
2.Saruman(new): Although he can't take a horse his new rule and resistance to magic make him a good addition against enemy magic.
3.Gil Galad on armoured horse and shield: Fight 9, +1 to wound and terror make him good at killing almost anything and he can also shield when things go bad.
4.Treebeard: I prefer him rather than Beorn because in my opinion he is more solid and he is also a heavy hitter.
5.Elladan and Elrohir on horses with heavy armour: I know they are less durable than the other heroes you are looking at but i think they are very good pointswise and they add a good killing power to your army.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Dwalin is 3/2/2 ;) I would say Dwalin is the best. 4 attacks at fight 6 should be enough to beat most heroes. Although I would still argue that Thorin/ dwalin on a pony is better in an all hero list.

Oh yeah sorry I was typing so much so quickly I must have forgotten lol.

But yeah he is a maniac. And Id a agree the Old Thorin on Pony is better but I think overall the new Dwalin takes the cake. His defense is a huge boost and doesnt need to charge for 4 attacks.

Valadorn wrote:
All are really great. Most powerful are the new Saruman who is the best good wizard atm and Beorn, a nice utility for the good side. But if we think the point value, new Thraduil is godlike for his points imo and so I vote him.

Thranduil is for sure. And yeah I agree with what youve said. Ive always loved using Beorn and would love to try him in a tournament, but he still is the price of two mid range heroes. And yes, in a points match, hes worth it, but in here, maybe Id prefer two models for flexibility.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:50 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Alfred for four Goblins with shields, Yes please!

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

rigg1313 wrote:
Alfred for four Goblins with shields, Yes please!
e

Yeah I actually am considering him in my force but I dont want my fellow players I know there to hate me ahhaaa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think Bard the bowman should be on the options, call heroic acuracy with him and almost guarantee 3 S4 shots with the otpion of an auto wound with the black arrow
New legolas is too versatile, in LotR 9 heroes struggled to kill one cave troll in moria, this legolas can go rambo toe to toe with a mordor troll and in combat or go on a rampage through orc ranks with orcrist, that isn't counting the fact he can spend his time being a sniper in the back in the meantime murderring anything in his path atop a horse.
Dwallin is the perfect monster killer, either going 3 attacks with burly and Strength 5 or just going mental with 2 axes with A4, and now with D8 he is really dangerous
Durin, this guy is a tough mother. +1 to wound, D9 terror, and essentially a fury save, it's a pity he doesn't have more might for heroic combats really :P
Gilgalad F9, +1 to wound, terror, definitely give him a armoured horse and a shield, this guy is murder on wheels

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I voted capt boromir. He gets so much for less than 200 pts. 6/3/3, shield, horn, sky high def, looks awesome, and he's a human. However, gil galad is also powerful and highly under used. The new elrond is awesome as is elendil. I CANT CHOOSE, so many good pieces! You cant rule out king elesar either. Anduril is hard to beat, especially with the free might every turn.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Grungehog wrote:
I think Bard the bowman should be on the options, call heroic acuracy with him and almost guarantee 3 S4 shots with the otpion of an auto wound with the black arrow
New legolas is too versatile, in LotR 9 heroes struggled to kill one cave troll in moria, this legolas can go rambo toe to toe with a mordor troll and in combat or go on a rampage through orc ranks with orcrist, that isn't counting the fact he can spend his time being a sniper in the back in the meantime murderring anything in his path atop a horse.
Dwallin is the perfect monster killer, either going 3 attacks with burly and Strength 5 or just going mental with 2 axes with A4, and now with D8 he is really dangerous
Durin, this guy is a tough mother. +1 to wound, D9 terror, and essentially a fury save, it's a pity he doesn't have more might for heroic combats really :P
Gilgalad F9, +1 to wound, terror, definitely give him a armoured horse and a shield, this guy is murder on wheels

As for bard thing about it....hes the same points pretty much as the new legolas, with in comparison, a garbage fight value and less in some other areas. Furthemore, for those points in general, Bard is way to squishy. I didnt even choose Legolas in the top 5 for the same reasons. He has less wounds, and when I used him in an all hero match against my friend, his bow did nothing against high enemy armor and he doesnt have enough attacks.

As for him being "too versatile"....lol thats exactly what you want in this game. Orcrist will probably be useless but otherwise hes awesome.

And I completely agree with your assumptions of the dwarves....and Ive faced Dain many times...always such a pain in the rear.

As for GilGalad...he worries me. Hes obviously a beast, but at the same time he has 1 fate and monsters can destroy him if they win a fight. Sure....hes more likely to win....but that one wrong roll and theyre either chucking him 6-10 inches or rending him to death.

jdizzy001 wrote:
I voted capt boromir. He gets so much for less than 200 pts. 6/3/3, shield, horn, sky high def, looks awesome, and he's a human. However, gil galad is also powerful and highly under used. The new elrond is awesome as is elendil. I CANT CHOOSE, so many good pieces! You cant rule out king elesar either. Anduril is hard to beat, especially with the free might every turn.

Yeah I have always wanted to paint and use my Captain Boromir. The trouble I have with him is fitting him in a themed list with everything. I might literally just not care and just throw in a mixed bag of stuff I always wanted to use list.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:45 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Boromir COTWT and the BOTFA Dwalin are at the top IMO. Great offensive and defensive capabilities for both of them. And they're both hard to beat even when trapped (with the horn and 4 attacks respectively). Beyond them id take Oin, an occasional banner and a cheap healer (the armored one), Gandalf for blinding light and beyond that whatever you like

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:01 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

JamesR wrote:
Boromir COTWT and the BOTFA Dwalin are at the top IMO. Great offensive and defensive capabilities for both of them. And they're both hard to beat even when trapped (with the horn and 4 attacks respectively). Beyond them id take Oin, an occasional banner and a cheap healer (the armored one), Gandalf for blinding light and beyond that whatever you like

I've been thinking a lot about Oin for an all hero army, his BOTFA-profile is good for his healing role with his high defence and now he can shield to keep himself alive. Has anyone tested him out?

Dori BOTFA is also pretty good for his points. Other heroes at the top of my head would be Elrond's twins and Tauriel despite her drawback of average defence. Dwalin BOTFA is a monster.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah Tauriel has that drawback but as long as its not a ranged attacked youll find someone hard pressed to beat her in a fight.

As for the twins....ive experimented, and they failed miserable.....what happened was for one...I made a stupid choice. I went and picked up the ring in the middle (scenario objective from last time they did this tourney) and that brother got killed...then as I was losing units the other brother was messing around having to try to kill that guy......

It sucked....but even if I didnt make that choice, their rule can still screw you especially if you have like 6 troops or so.

Edit: and Dori IS good, but the most Im buying is Thorin, Dwalin, Balin, Oin out of the new figures haha.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Gil-Galad and Boromir of Gondor
In smaller games, there is simply nothing that can stop him. In larger games, if he gets shut down by a spellcaster, so what, at 500, the twins are gonna be there too, and at 750, Glorfindel will appear.

Boromir of Gondor is amazing. For just over 100 pts, you get 6 might, D6, S4 3As, 3 wounds and fight 6!
True, he has no fate and will likely die when surrounded, but he'll sure as hell kill a lot first, provided you aren't a really awful player and send him in on his own or expose him to bow fire.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

give that boromir a horse... booya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I would also like to add Rumil to this list, considering he is so cheap (comparatively) and brings 3 might and fight 6 to the table along with swift parry. He is a great hero for the points and has always served me well.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Gil'Galad - High Fight value, can be mounted, and +1 to wound with defense 8. They have to burn might to win fights against him, while he won't have to burn might in response unless they are ~F7 or higher. At F6, it's a 50/50 shot for them to go higher than you. If they break even, they used a point of might to be able to draw the fight, and there is a 1/3 chance of them getting o benefit.

Beorn - high fight value, S/D 8 and brutal power attacks. Crush will be great if you have all of your might remaining, since most of the heroes you will see are going to be defense 8 or lower.

Treebeard - high fight value, S/D 8, brutal power attacks, and 6 will. Downside: only move 6, but throw stones makes up for that to some extent.

Radagast (either on Horse/sleigh or Eagle) - Renew so you can heal your other heroes, line of sight to everything so he can hide behind cover, immobilise, and Panic steed to get rid of mounts. On the Eagle, he loses the staff of power, but he gains F7, S6, 2-3 attacks, and the monstrous mount rules.

Any White council models: Glorfindel, Elrond (new or old w/heavy armour on horse), new Galadriel, either Saruman, Gandalf.
The White Council +1 to resist spells is going to be huge in all hero battles.

Alfrid: cheap might. Bumping Gil'Galad to 6 might is probably the best use of him.

(this isn't in any particular order, though probably: Alfrid>Gil'Galad>White Council (Radagast being rated the highest for points imo (only because it's all heroes, in any other situation, new Saruman takes the cake).)>Beorn/Treebeard)

Honorable mentions:
The New Dwalin: with no ability to be mounted, and only move 5, it should be easy for the other player to avoid him or get the charge with a mounted model or monster.

Rumil: swift parry. No mount option, D6, and only 1 will though.

The Twins, & Boromir: Might may be even more important in all hero battles than normal. Boromir CoTWT is a lot of points, and Boromir of Gondor has no fate and only 1 will. Twins are both great for the points.

New Thranduil: He isn't going to be quite as good in all hero battles because he is only S4/D6 and his rules are a bit better for fighting standard troops.

Balin, Oin, and Bombur from thorin's company for the special rules. Priority, healing, and recovering will.

Last edited by Asamu on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:06 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I guess you guys really seem to love Gil Galad. Since when can he have an armored horse......was that FAQ'd?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:08 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
I guess you guys really seem to love Gil Galad. Since when can he have an armored horse......was that FAQ'd?

Yes.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:28 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow thats crazy. Four attacks charging with fight 9? Holy cow.