All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 9:21 pm

Post subject: All Knight army - advice needed.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I have three boxes of Rivendell Knights with about nine painted thus far. I've used five (plus one captain) alongside a Rivendell foot-troop force led by Erestor. It was very effective giving me three out of three victories against Morannon Orcs and Wargs.

In those fights I used the bows on the knights, alongside the bows of the ground force to eliminate the warg support. (They have six) and they were all killed or dismounted by turn two. I then ignored those newly grounded orcs and continued around the flank of the orcs, by using the woodland and their superior movement range to avoid the Orcs left behind. (Kind of like a lethal version of that school yard game 'British bulldog'. The Elves got through anyway.) Meanwhile Erestor led his troops armed with spears and bows right up the middle, peppering the main horde, after the Knights were the only cavalry on the table. Of course what happened next was obvious, we clashed, elven fight value ruled the day and we only lost three elves in total as the Knights slammed into the back of them and gave me victory.

Now that was a very basic hammer and anvil strategy and I pulled it off very well, as you just read. I'm feeling a little braver now and fancy the challenge of taking a full cavalry army. My initial thoughts are to divide the army into three and send two to the separate flanks, then basically shoot, shoot....shoot some more etc before eventually closing in from all sides.

You may or may not be able to tell from that, that I've not used an all cavalry force before, only used them to support an infantry force. Is there any advice you would give me? Or any mistakes you think I'm likely to make? Thanks in advance.
 Post subject: Re: All Knight army - advice needed.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Erestar wrote:
So I have three boxes of Rivendell Knights with about nine painted thus far. I've used five (plus one captain) alongside a Rivendell foot-troop force led by Erestor. It was very effective giving me three out of three victories against Morannon Orcs and Wargs.

In those fights I used the bows on the knights, alongside the bows of the ground force to eliminate the warg support. (They have six) and they were all killed or dismounted by turn two. I then ignored those newly grounded orcs and continued around the flank of the orcs, by using the woodland and their superior movement range to avoid the Orcs left behind. (Kind of like a lethal version of that school yard game 'British bulldog'. The Elves got through anyway.) Meanwhile Erestor led his troops armed with spears and bows right up the middle, peppering the main horde, after the Knights were the only cavalry on the table. Of course what happened next was obvious, we clashed, elven fight value ruled the day and we only lost three elves in total as the Knights slammed into the back of them and gave me victory.

Now that was a very basic hammer and anvil strategy and I pulled it off very well, as you just read. I'm feeling a little braver now and fancy the challenge of taking a full cavalry army. My initial thoughts are to divide the army into three and send two to the separate flanks, then basically shoot, shoot....shoot some more etc before eventually closing in from all sides.

You may or may not be able to tell from that, that I've not used an all cavalry force before, only used them to support an infantry force. Is there any advice you would give me? Or any mistakes you think I'm likely to make? Thanks in advance.

It's important to have Lindir, you don't want magic to make your knights dismount. Another problem is enemy bows but considering you are going to have more and better they should be more afraid about you than you about them.

There are some particular scenarios where cavalry sucks though.

Visit my WIP!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

What types of game modes are you playing and are you always going to be playing against the same enemy?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
What types of game modes are you playing and are you always going to be playing against the same enemy?

I'm almost always playing against evil, so mostly strength 4 heavy infantry, lightly armoured cavalry and the occasional spell-caster.

I realize it's quite a strange list to use, but I'd love to use it at tournements. Though I realize in some scenario's it gives me an advantage, yet in others it will be a problem.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:16 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Erestar wrote:
LordoftheBrownRing wrote:

I'm almost always playing against evil, so mostly strength 4 heavy infantry, lightly armoured cavalry and the occasional spell-caster.

I realize it's quite a strange list to use, but I'd love to use it at tournements. Though I realize in some scenario's it gives me an advantage, yet in others it will be a problem.

Well for sure first off id take elrond with them. Hes great as a fighter and you can natures wrath before a large charge and absolutely murder foot soldiers.

Obviously idk if its basics to you but shoot the life out of their lightly armee cavalry first so they do damage you or ruin your charges. Take them out wth elrond as well.

Skirmis a lot. Run around them and take out people like cav magic users spear support etc. If you face morannons or uruks take out their spears amd pikes which are likely less armored.

Choose your combats extremely gingerly. Youre losing over 20 points per model dont forget.

Idk how you play wih friends......some get annoyed by the face you might just literally circle around them but in tournaments just shoot shoot shoot as lon as you can and dont go into combat until necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If this is for 750 I would suggest:

Warband 1
Elrond with heavy armour on horse
6 Knights of Rivendell with shield (1x with banner)

Warband 2
Lindir of Rivendell with heavy armour on horse
7 Knights of Rivendell with shield

Warband 3
Elladan and Elrohir with heavy armour, horses and elven bows

total: 750pts
its low in numbers around 17
might: 10
alot bows for this though :P even the twins shoot so you can run around and bring foes lil by lil.
if you dont like the twins replace for a captain with shield and get around 6/7 extra knights prob...