All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:25 am

Post subject: Galadrim used as High elves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello All in my process of acquiring lotr for my gaming needs I've come into quite the lot of galadrim, now I'm not the biggest fan of wood elves compartively to high elves ( and I'm no fan of the Last alliance plastics)

that being said, would people view it as acceptable to run Galadrim models as High Elf infantry ? This also means sticking with the high elf list in such but using the much more size appropriate and recent and more supported model line apart from High elf heroes and such which would all be the originals.

Would a slight conversion needed, or would my idea for silvered armor and white cloaks be sufficent ?

What's the communities thoughts on this
 Post subject: Re: Galadrim used as High elves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm pretty sure I saw a post just a bit back about using the Galadhrim as Mirkwood Armored Elves, and the general consensus was that with the right paint scheme it wouldn't be too bad. Plus the models look fairly similar, so I don't think people would mind too much. That said, if you want to make them look more like High Elves, by all means go ahead and convert them. I'm sure people would prefer that, though most would still be fine with just a different paint-job.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:44 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I was planning on silvered armor, and white cloaks, not sure where to get like helmets tbh
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:11 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I alread do this with no problems. I do not convert them. I just use the high elf profile for the galadhrim (partly as I hate it that the would not wear heavy armour, idem for mirkwood) and like the galadhrim look much more than the poor poses of the plastic high elves.

prov. 27:17
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Obviously you wouldn't be allowed to proxy them at a tournament unles you have converted them, as then they are just silver and White Galadhrim.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LordElrond wrote:
Obviously you wouldn't be allowed to proxy them at a tournament unles you have converted them, as then they are just silver and White Galadhrim.

I'm not so sure, after all there were many houses of high elves and you could easily sell them as a 'Mithlond' Noldor army, as their armour could be seen as the mariners of the High Elves.

I've used this before and had no problem. In fact I used both, all in silver themes but with different cloaks. After all, there are Noldor in Lothlorien so anyone who doesn't allow it, is just being a pain in the... shield arm.

They're elves wearing what appears to be heavy armour, in my 'Elven' opinion (seeing as all I play is elves themed from Silmarillion and beyond) this should be encouraged, not hampered. Good luck, definitely upload some pictures when they're all done.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:57 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

LordElrond is right. At a GBHL tournament, they (Galadhrim) wouldn't be generally allowed as high elves. Most TOs require at least a small amount of conversion to make them look like the right models. Just painting them a different colour isnt enough.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SouthernDunedain wrote:
LordElrond is right. At a GBHL tournament, they (Galadhrim) wouldn't be generally allowed as high elves. Most TOs require at least a small amount of conversion to make them look like the right models. Just painting them a different colour isnt enough.

Even so, how would you suggest converting armoured Elves to look like armoured Elves? For example, the high elves that came from other factions of the first born, we've never seen what they actually look like. Judging by the fact we've seen the other Elven factions, they all have their own style of protection, though similar weapons.

I still think an armoured elf, is an armoured elf, as long as you're not trying to benefit from the high elf stats for the Galadhrim points, no one suffers.

(Except arguably GW, due to lack of plastic Noldor Elf spearmen. I suppose if you're using Galadhrim, you only need the plastics to field a well-rounded force, whereas you'd need Last Alliance, plus the blisters to have a similar force of the traditional High Elves.)

It's a good debate though, an interesting topic. It's a pity I don't have a picture of it anymore, but someone made a beautiful Mithlond army with Galadhrim, led by converted High Elven captains.