All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:28 pm

Post subject: 300 point GW tournament list thoughts
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:07 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey guys

I am from Geelong, Vic, Australia. Our local GW is running a 300pt tournament next Saturday as a way to increase Hobbit interest and for a bit of fun.
I've been into the game for years on and off and since Hobbit came out I've been a dwarven player.

I'd like you thoughts on my list, I believe should be pretty strong at this points level and good them also

Dwalin
5 Warriors of Erebor w/ Spear + shield

Balin
5 Warriors of Erebor w/ Spear + shield
3 Warriors of Erebor w/ Shield
1 Warrior of Erebor w/ Banner

Look forward to reading any feedback
Cheers
 Post subject: Re: 300 point GW tournament list thoughts
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:09 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

PS - if there are any other players in the Geelong/Melbouren region keen for a game here and there please let me know!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:10 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

At 300 points i'd be tempted to drop the banner for regular troops instead.

Do you haave grim hammers to pick as well or just Erebor?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:48 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yeah? I honestly haven't used them much but thought at such small point level - could pretty much cover 50-75% of the army

I do have grimhammers and a fair few more WoErebor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:52 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You might have better luck looking for opponents here :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146832525446670/

You might be better off dropping the banner for more dwarves, but have some games and see what works best for you
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:17 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Do you happen to know what the scenarios will be? In case of To the Death: certainly keep the banner. Otherwise, well, it depends; there is no real right answer. Dropping the banner and a few spears will allow for another 3 guys - not much, but still an 18% increase.

Do you have a Dwalin on pony model? That would be great, he can ride down an entire warband in a few turns.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:02 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the link nic0 i'll definitely use that group

As for dwalin on pony, sadly no - sourcing a pony model has been a fruitless endeavour so far. AU$40 each at least for hobbit on pony from ebay is too hard to say yes, seeing as the conversion is still needed and they are mostly metal models. I considered just putting my 'Escape from GT' Dwalin on a rohan horse as the sizing isn't too bad as dwalin is pretty large himself, but just couldn't pull the super glue trigger.

I believe they will be using any and all scenarios on the day, plus it will be more of a friendly tournament rather than super competitive so not a huge deal really.

Thanks for the advice however, I appreciate all your thoughts and comments and I'll have a play around with banner/no banner and mixing in grimhammers and more warriors

Cheers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would just convert one on a horse if you really need to but I suppose for 300 points it's not a big deal.

I'd definitely drop the banner and replace Dealing with Thorn and shield. Unless you've used him a lot you don't understand how good he is for his cost.

With the dropped banner you can add the pony or more troops etc.

Otherwise Balin is a great choice. Nice list.

That was my opinion but you will do just fine with Dwalin as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sorry mods double tap

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:49 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So I went with a version of this list with Thorin, however I could not bring myself to drop Dwalin so I took both!
My list was:

WB1
Thorin w/Oakenshield + Orcrist
2 Warriors of Erebor w/Shield
2 Warriors of Erebor w/Shield + Spear

WB2
Dwalin
2 Grimhammers
3 Warriors of Erebor w/Shield + Spear

I finished the day with 4 wins and 1 draw which was awesome!
Every scenario was To The Death for ease for the new players and each board had it's own special rules which were really cool and different too!

Thanks again for the tips, helped loads
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:26 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Congratulations.....they are both tough S.O.B.s for sure.

Can you kinda go over which armies you faced and how the fights generally went? Like a small battle report just summarizing a sentence or so for each battle. Im curious.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:45 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Absolutely!
Firstly check out the GW Geelong Facebook post with the boards he made up for the tournament - https://www.facebook.com/GWGeelong/post ... 3474091554.
The special rules for the boards are as follows:

Drowned Isengard
2/3 of the board is water difficult terrain. You may risk full movement in the water however you must roll a D6 and on a 1 the model is removed from play

The Pass of Caradhras
The player without priority places a Large Blast marker touching either edge of the long board edge and roll a scatter dice and 2D6. All models underneath are wounded on a 5+. Once that is done the player with priority moves then it is their turn to place the large blast marker.

The Ruins of Osgiliath
Models must pass a courage test at the beginning of each turn following the same rules for charging a model with Terror. Stand fast can be used as like a broken force.

Mirkwood
There are two forest terrain pieces on the board that scatter 2D6 at the end of every turn carrying any models in the terrain with it.

Goblintown
On a roll of a 4+ a goblin appears from each corner, as well as the two edges at the center of the board. These goblins must move towards the closest model (from either force) and charge if they can as a third party army.

Thanks for reading this far! Anyway, my first game was against Legolas, tauriel and mirkwoof rangers on the Osgiliath board. Dwalin was fearless and Thorin passed all courage tests. I just ran into the ruin then heroic marched as close as possible to his line and just took them out with heroic combats from Dwalin.

Game 2 was against Spider queen with giant spiders and fell wargs on the Isengard board. I just trotted up to the edge of the water and let him come to me. He risked, then proceeded to unluckily lose 3-4 wargs in the water before the first combat. Then again Thorin and Dwalin just took them to town.

Game 3 was versus a goblin town army with grinnah, a captain and goblin scribe with full warbands of goblins, played on the Caradhras board. Was able to take out a few with the large blast templates before combat, then just funneled the goblins between the difficult terrain with control zones and again the heroic combats were key from both heroes essentially killing 4-6 each, every fight phase after turn 3.

Game 4 was against a gondor side with Mtd Faramir, beregond and cirion. Back on the isengard board for this one and we were both very cautious to lose guys or get them bogged down in the water so it was a bit of a stare down for the most part, then the time limit came into play so we just went for it. Too late unfortunately and this was the drawn game as there were no VPs for either of us after the last turn. One more turn however and he would’ve broken me so I got luck there haha

Game 5/5 was back against the mirkwood side from game 1 as a sort of championship match and back on the Osgiliath board again. I was able to deploy pretty much in the centre of the board and just rushed in again and trusted the shields of the dwarves. Got into combat and held off tauriel until dwalin and thorin could 2v1 her and take her out with help from Orcrist elven blade.

Awesome day in the end and big thanks to the manager of GW Geelong as he’s a huge supporter of the Hobbit and LOTR.
Cheers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow awesome man. Thanks! Good job. That whole event sounds like a fun day for sure!