All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 2:50 am

Post subject: New Player Gondor List!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I am a fairly new player to the game. I have had a few friendly matches but would really like to take my Gondor force to the next level. The list doesnt have to be uber competitive but its also not much fun to lose every game like I did at a tournament this past weekend. This is the list that I brought, looking forward to the help! Thanks in advance.

WB1
Boromir CotWT w Shield
2 Osgiliath Vet w Bow
2 Osgiliath Vet w Spear
2 Osgiliath Vet w shield
4 WoMT w Spear and Shield

WB2
Faramir CofWT w Shield and Heavy Armour
4 WoMT w Shield
3 KoMT w Shield

WB3
Capt oMT w Shield
Avenger Bolt Thrower

550 pts.

Plan was to have the Avenger do damage to some harder to kill stuff and Boromir to cut down most troops.

All feedback is really appreciated.
 Post subject: Re: New Player Gondor List!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:39 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well there's a lot I can immediately point to in terms of list optimization.

*Please note this is just advice, take or leave what you like as the goal is to have fun

1. Drop the Bolt Thrower, with modern deployment its near worthless.

2. Pick either Boromir or Faramir, its a bit too many points for this low of a points match on just those two heroes.

3. Drop the Captain and replace him (and Boromir or Faramir) with any of the following:
Denethor
Beregond
Damrod
These 3 heroes are very cheap and allow you to bring more troops, which with Minas Tirith you need.

4. Bring Rangers with spear to bolster your lower F3 models.
5. Bring some Fountain Guard with Shield to add a solid core to your army.
6. Never bring Knights without a mounted hero to lead them, but if you mount Boromir or Faramir dont bring Osgiliath Vets as they wont be sticking around them to give the added +1 Fight.
7. Bring many more troops to the fight.
8. Don't take just 2 bows, either commit heavily (max out) or don't bring any, 2 isn't worth it. Also don't take Minas Tirth Warriors or Osg Vets with Bows, only Rangers as they have the better shoot value

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I would also drop your bolt thrower. Its a really good weapon... when you are defending and have a long time to get shots off. Otherwise its not really that great.

I like Boromir and personally use him even though he is very expensive. If you do use him pick up a cheap hero to lead the other warband to save some points and put them into more guys.

I also dont like veterans. They are cool and all but dont really seem worth it to me. Just personal preference though.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:57 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm with the to above on the bolt thrower its nice if your enemy deploys right but it would be better at a high point ranger, maybe 700. Drop Borormir while your at it and bring some rank and rile troops.

I'm going to disagree with James on the bows and the knights though. Without the blot thrower you need some way to force your opponents hand. If he has some much as one bow he can pick the ground and make you come to him, it will be boring but he will win by attrition otherwise. As to the knights you can take them without a hero to lead them but you much recognize them as disposable. They can sweep round terrain and hit from behind when the lines clash or take out small groups of archers. You'll only get on good charge but the fear of those lances might work to your advantage on newer players.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:12 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

"one bow he can pick the ground and make you come to him"

That's a bit of an exaggeration lol. With or without a bow your opponent can pick the ground. If you're strategy is stupid and you just sit there then the bow can do some damage but the odds of anything significant is highly unlikely.

2 bows is near useless with Warband deployment. Just ask any tournament goer, you seldom get more than a turn or two shooting in. The knights can be used but without a hero it'll be hard to earn their points back as they'll die too easily. They'll get a turn of hard hitting but it'll be hard to hit and fade without the option of a heroic move

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:04 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Okay yes its a bit of on exaggeration but I've see and heard tell of stranger things. Also you can shoot the spears and banners after the fighting starts too.

And I'm not say the knights will win their points back or try to hit and run I'm saying the at lower points the treat of being caught in the rear or flank by a trio of knights can be used to move your opponent. Make him hold back resources to incase the knights make a move same with the archers to an extent. Its not some much about the killing they can do but the tools you can have at your disposal. Why limit your options on the field, you might not always need an umbrella but the day it starts raining you'll be glad you have it.

Look if you really want to win field Faramir, a womt with a banner and elven fountain court guard. Replace Faramir with a captain rinse and repeat until you are out of points. You'll win most of the time and guess what? It will be boring after about the 10th time you march straight across the field and try to crush your foe like turf under your boots.

You'll get bored if you don't try to win with something less than the best. Its about skill, luck, intuition and experience that's why the game is called a strategy battle game not a dice game or a roulette wheel.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:36 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Wan Shi Tong wrote:
You'll get bored if you don't try to win with something less than the best. Its about skill, luck, intuition and experience that's why the game is called a strategy battle game not a dice game or a roulette wheel.

Totally agree, that's why I hate all Fountain Guard lists and the like. I literally just raged against that on a different post lol. Theme is hugely important, that's why I'm all about faction purity. I never run, nor would I encourage this over-optinization it ruins the experience as you said. That's why my initial recommendations were for a well balanced force.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:23 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I absolutely agree with JamesR's initial post. He absolutely covered everything that should be said.