All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:48 pm

Post subject: Dealing with Bolg
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:30 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So my casual battle partner has started taking the new mounted bolg model at every points level from 300+
He is very difficult as he just annihilates anything within range of a charge.

I play mostly erebor dwarves at the moment and have had good success until bolg came along. He has a longer threat range so hard to counter him without many/if any shooting attacks. I don't really want to change a whole lot into what army/allies I take because I know I could just change completely with taking Aragorn Elessar/Azog and beat him at his own game - I'd rather some assistance in strategy in dealing with him and not all eggs in one basket as i'll kill bolg, then the rest of his army will still be there...

My options therefore and keeping theme is taking Beorn and/or Radagast to use brute force and/or Panic Steed respectively.

I also have available to me:
Thorin's company / champions of erebor
Erebor dwarves + Grimhammers
Possibly allying in Elves with Legolas

I also wanted to try the Three Hunters against him and see how they went or pick up some Warriors of Dale for some bow support.

Any thoughts, comments or queries are more than welcome.
Thank you
 Post subject: Re: Dealing with Bolg
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:58 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I would suggest the new legolas mounted or the new thranduil.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:01 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Definitely take Radagast. He can easily take the warg out of the question with Panic Steed and he can then Immobilize Bolg and charge in for the easy pickings.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:38 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah it should be easy with Radaghast. Panic steed until he has no will remainig and then transfix Bolg and Azog are really weak against magic. And remember that Bolg kannt see and attack Radaghast if he is covered by his "Elvencloak".
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:10 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If you're happy to Ally in Legolas then it's simple, auto-hit his Warg every turn, you get a 33% chance of killing it every turn that can be easily boosted with a Might point or two. Once he's on foot he's far easier to deal with and will find it much harder to get up to 10 kills. If you start dismounting him in turn 1/2 every game he'll soon start reconsidering bringing him along all the time.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Either the Radagast idea(my initial thought) by Draug or Dr. Grants Legolas idea are good. I suggest the New Legolas.....after you auto hit him, charge the lines on horse and absolutely annihilate him....because hes bringing bolg right? That means he can only bring orcs in that warband....so basically, its likely his army has a lot of orcs right?

Orcrist.

OR.....finally.....you can take an Ent or Beorn. Bolg isnt killing anything when you have one of those two. You beat him in a fight and throw him really really far. Warg is gone, and Bolgs away from the battle lines for a turn or two. Then do it again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:45 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
I suggest the New Legolas

Orcrist.

Yeah new Leggy would be great, shoot his Warg and then charge into him, you match his fight value, an elven blade gives you the edge in drawn combats and Orcrist will do D3 wounds on Bolg. The Orcrist Terror bubble should stop him being swamped too.

mmmmm New Leggy...

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:00 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Brilliant, I hadn't even noticed the new legolas was so much better!
Unreal
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:05 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah hes one of the best miniatures in the game easily in terms of overall worth.

Hes the best shooter and one of the best combatants.

If youre talking about a hero to oppose orcs....mounted Legolas is easily the best character in the game.....

Just think about the movie *SPOILERS-but for the love of God if you havent seen it yet get with the program everyone ffs youre on this forum

Legolas has to be the anti Bolg in the game considering he does kill him in the film.....*

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

although if he loses to bolg in a fight, legolas can be in a serious trouble..

Look at the good side of your enemy force, having bolg (being costy) means he wont take much further orcs than you expect. his cost worth least 25 hunter orcs and 25 hunter orcs its by far a grivious sight for your army....

You just need to place the right characters on the right time.

You can even do the normal legolas if you wish, like Dr grant says, you got the best archer in the game to dispose of him and its a character than its like half bolg´s cost.

For Bolg price you got a fully warband with a cheapish elven heroe around 90/100pts to counter his army in which means that you can literally be everywhere in the field unlike bolg.

If you wanna waste "sort of saying" 10 man elven bowfire, just by that there is a good chance to pin down his warg, after hes on foot then you can control him more.

Draugluin made another excelent review on a character to take him out, Radagast.

Keep in mind you have to get Bolg off warg asap cause if you dont Bolg not only he is more killy but will charge radagast (yes its possible as the warg got the fell sight rule) or even in worst case charge your elven cloak heroes.

If you want another fun way to get rid of him, use Saruman or Gandalf, a well casted sorcerous blast should ruin him pretty bad(least the warg that is)

If you got Erebor, you could eventually ally with Durin´s Folk and have Floi, seems not but that simply guy can shut down bolg´s special rules when you wish, or simply shut down one of his adquired special rules, so it can be fun... and not to mention since your using a full dwarven force, any multiwound stuff the dwarves kill, floi will get his will points back.

In battle, throw in the king´s champion and heralds, they should work nasty on bolg though
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:28 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Awesome advice thanks guys!
We just had an 800 point game where I took Beorn + Legolas as well as my normal Thorin + Dwalin with warriors of erebor shield wall.
The scenario was Reconnoitre and the board had a small walled village (with alley ways about the size of a cavalry base for the most part but monster size bases for a small portion) - this took up about a quarter situated around the middle. With some hills and trees scattered around it.
He also had Saruman + Mahaur with an isengard troll, scout marauders and berserkers.
I deployed Legolas first on my left side and Thorin with full warband of shields + spears in turn one. He deployed the scouts in his centre and Bolg’s warband directly across from Legolas :D. He proceeded to shoot out Bolg's warg in turn 1 which scared him to rush the warg pack in too quickly. This left me some manoeuvrability with the shield wall so I could bottle neck as much as I could in the village.
Bolg used his warg pack as buffers to stop my charging which allowed him to get to Thorin. They had an epic battle for most of the game both heroic striking lots but in the end Thorin used up all his might, will and fate plus saruman kept immobilizing him so he never had a chance 1v1 against Bolg. I got a late priority and charged Bolg with other warriors and got thorin out of there.
Beorn couldn’t get into the game much until the end as he found it hard to get through the village but he was my leader so I was sort of ok with that. Legolas did his main goal in shooting out Bolg’s warg plus a few others but I didn’t advance him quick enough so he only got into 2-3 fights.
Bolg though, without his warg loses so much of his punch. Happy that I could eliminate that headache. Cheers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:12 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi,

sounds good. Maybe you can try to use Beorn a little bit more offensive, because I think that he and Thorin together are able to kill Bolg, especially after he has no M and F. Maybe you can try to include Alfrid ( if you want ) so you can give Thorin enough M for dealing long enough with Bolg until Beorn can kill him with his brutal power attack.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Grimhammer19 wrote:
Awesome advice thanks guys!

Beorn couldn’t get into the game much until the end as he found it hard to get through the village but he was my leader so I was sort of ok with that.

Bolg though, without his warg loses so much of his punch. Happy that I could eliminate that headache. Cheers

You def have to make an effort to get Beorn in there.....hes too valuable and point heavy to not. As for Bolg, nice work slowing him down.

Badner wrote:
Hi,

sounds good. Maybe you can try to use Beorn a little bit more offensive, because I think that he and Thorin together are able to kill Bolg, especially after he has no M and F. Maybe you can try to include Alfrid ( if you want ) so you can give Thorin enough M for dealing long enough with Bolg until Beorn can kill him with his brutal power attack.

Actually, not to say youre wrong....but Beorn can even take on Bolg himself if they can fight evenly 1 on 1. Beorn can pretty much destroy any model 1-1.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:41 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Badner wrote:
Hi,

Actually, not to say youre wrong....but Beorn can even take on Bolg himself if they can fight evenly 1 on 1. Beorn can pretty much destroy any model 1-1.[/quote]

I did not want to say that you need Beorn and Thorin. Of course Beorn can destroy, more or less, any model 1-1. I just wanted to say that Thorin and Beorn together is even better, especially after Thorin took away Bolgs M (and F ?).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Absolutely true. I love Beorn man....

He can never have 1 free might per turn, but thats a situational rule. He already beats Bolg on fight, strength, defense, courage, and other things. Same points too, and less with warg.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:43 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Legolas, either profile, should go a long way to reducing Bolg's effectiveness. Auto Hit is warg out, then keep auto hitting him till he dies...don't be afraid to spend 1 or 2 might to inflict a wound on him in shooting.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:52 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Mounted Bolg hates Nature's Wrath hehe