All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:36 pm

Post subject: Good uses for Morgal Stalkers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Late one night, I was going through the Mordor sourcebook and I saw a unit that interested me and that I hadn't seen before. The humble Morgal Stalker. After doing my homework and reading around online for a while I saw that people really don't think much of them, but it got me wondering on how to use them with the rules they have now.

Anyone have any experince with them? Faced them or used them I'd love to know how to make them (somewhat) viable. I think I'd just use them for warding off and funneling slower infantry away from different areas like bridges, narrow paths and ruins. After all, fighting a two attack model is pretty irritating no matter what.

I'm not looking for uber-cheesy stuff, just fun ways to use "Bad" models against friends.

Thanks.

In the mirror of doom."
 Post subject: Re: Good uses for Morgal Stalkers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:51 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have tried with varied success using Morgul Stalkers. With an average Fight value and low defense, they seem to disappear from the table too quickly for a 15 point model, despite the two attacks (could be a result of my consistently traitorous dice). I've found they worked best in gang attacks vs. spreading them around. It's slow, but getting two or even three of these guys on any normal model gives you an awfully good chance of winning the fight, even against a moderate hero. And if you can trap that hero...he could be toast! It all works well in theory, but getting enough into a warband to work well also costs a lot of points. Not everyone likes them, but I end of taking a 45 point Castellan of Dol Guldur in place of 3 Stalkers. I've found they can really harass a hero and basically take him out of the game for quite a number of turns.

Anyway, I typically only take Stalkers when I'm trying to be thematic, they just look cool and I WANT them to be cool too! If someone has a great way of playing them, I'd be all ears as well.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They are just way too over costed. You get the same offensive value and annoyance from a hunter orc half their point total.

I don't think anyone will ever justify these. Look cool tho

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

the thing that makes them weird is that they have elven cloaks so as such they need to be deployed behind friendlies until the fighting begins to be really effective

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
They are just way too over costed. You get the same offensive value and annoyance from a hunter orc half their point total.

Yeah, but I could really see them becoming better if there was a Morgal Stalker Captain or something. Just any hero with an elven cloak that can be used to give them heroic moves and take on other heros. There I could see a good use for them, as a sneaky anti-ranged unit.

Speaking of the Captain, anyone have any idea for a house rule statline and points cost? Looks like creating that could be a blast.

I'm gonna have to play test some different lists I guess. One with Stalkers and one with Hunters.

Again, thanks for the advise everyone, it's much appreciated :)

In the mirror of doom."
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

MRmehman wrote:
LordoftheBrownRing wrote:

Yeah, but I could really see them becoming better if there was a Morgal Stalker Captain or something. Just any hero with an elven cloak that can be used to give them heroic moves and take on other heros. There I could see a good use for them, as a sneaky anti-ranged unit.

Speaking of the Captain, anyone have any idea for a house rule statline and points cost? Looks like creating that could be a blast.

I'm gonna have to play test some different lists I guess. One with Stalkers and one with Hunters.

Again, thanks for the advise everyone, it's much appreciated :)

Users hunter orc captain profile with 3 attacks and add 5 points for a cloak. Done.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

10 points for a cloak!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If I was assaulting a wall from a mobile tower then I would consider having them in the second wave to assault from it.

The ability to not be so easily targeted by archers on flank walls and still get enough attacks in without needing spear support can make a difference.

But surviving.. well not so great.

Probably more usefull when there is a maximum figure limit in a game and you can't take any more heroes?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I was actually meaning to try mine out in an army today, but I got carried away with practicing with a tournament army. What I was planning to do was to pair each one up with a Morannon Orc (shield+spear), hide them behind the Morannons while advancing to benefit from the cloaks, then spring them forward when you need them in combat. Maybe give them the Dark Marshall for support, maybe use a Shade too. Although, once we do that, we get into the Corsair Reaver spam army, and that one does the job much better.

They are highly situational is the problem, you can make good use of them against ranged armies, but I am currently struggling to think of the best way to fit them into an all-comers list.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Anyone have any good proxy models? I was thinking orc trackers.

In the mirror of doom."