All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:33 pm

Post subject: Balrog Review profile - need testing plz
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I dont have much time testing for this beast and like Badger brought this topic up like hes not worth his points ill show you this profile and you guys try it out for me then tell me wat you think :)

Since its a new profile I can´t just update the old one, but lets see what you guys and girls think.

The Balrog, Durin´s Bane(Spirit, Monster) ........................................................Points Value: 425pts

Move________F_____S_____D_____A_____W_____C ____M__W__F

6"/14cm____10/3+___9______9_______4______10______7_____*___10__**

Wargear:
Fiery Lash: The Balrog, Durin´s Bane flaming whip count as a throwing weapon with the range of 6"/14cm and a Strength of 7.

Flaming sword: Calling out the flames, the Balrog summon a fiery blade to strike down its foes with a mighty strike that can turn anything to ash.
When the Balrog is in combat he can opt to use this special strike before any blows are struck and any heroic strikes and actions are made,
If he chooses to use this attack, The Balrog strikes with a single attack instead of his normal profile attacks
if the Balrog wins the combat any model that suffers a wound from this attack is automatically slain. Models with Strength 6 or higher will take D3 wounds instead
(Fate can be used to prevent this attack as normal) This Special attack cannot be combined with any other brutal power attacks.

Special Rules:

Resistant to magic; Terror; Fearless. See main rules manual for details.

Ancient evil: See main rules manual for details.
(*)Shadow and Flame: The Balrog can use 1 free point of Might per turn.
(**) Terror of an ancient world: Anytime The Balrog, Durin´s Bane suffers a wound, roll a dice, on a roll a 5+ the wound is discounted like if a Fate point has been used to prevent it. Additionally, The Balrog, Durin´s Bane cannot prevent wounds by this manner against hits caused by magical/named blades.

Magical Powers:
________________Range______Dice Score
Flames of Udûn: _Special_________5+
Shatter:________12"/28cm_______3+
Spellbreaker:____12"/28cm_______4+

Flames of Udûn: All enemy models within 6" of the caster suffer a Strength 3 hit.
Cavalry models, both rider and mount suffer a Strength hit.

Channelled: All enemy models within 6" of the caster suffer a Strength 4 hit and are knocked prone

Spellbreaker: The Balrog can select himself or a friendly target under the effect of a spell and remove its effect.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

What you guys think? please test him sometime soon and tell me how this went, if he got more fun and more competitive. :)

Last edited by Galanur on Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:44 am, edited 17 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Balrog Review profile - need testing plz
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I like it's new stats but I would change one his Shadow and flame rule for just being able to use 1 point of might each turn for free without rolling the dice.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:57 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

warrior of the north wrote:
I like it's new stats but I would change one his Shadow and flame rule for just being able to use 1 point of might each turn for free without rolling the dice.

I agree, I'd also tweak the save down to a 6+ simply because a 5+ on avg gives him roughly 14-15 wounds as opposed to a 6+ save giving him only an extra 1 to 2 on average

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I would take the Might rule and give him 3 might, then focus on one aspect of that beast that has always been undervalued.
Magic.
Balrogs can use magic. Galdalf said that a spell he cast on a door to close was being countered, he felt a strong counterspell, powerful enough to counter his spell. He should have a limited, yet powerful, spell selection.

- Counterspell 4+
Choose a model who has been targeted by a spell still in effect (permanent and/or temporary, no istant). The effect of the spell is negated.
-Gash (fire in orc language) 3+
as fireball.
- Aura of Command 2+
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

warrior of the north - good call on that one, although I would envison ti give him more than 1 might free though cause sometimes would be interesting him to make the special strikes as well, but let me consider on that one.

JamesR: the 5+ was actually ment for 14/15 wounds roughtly in average as its a beast like a few hundred points than smaug while smaug is alot more and got 20 wounds. So in teory would like to try the 5+ for the test though... which is significant roll on a dice than a 6s...

Dikey: is also right that he can cast magic though.

I do still think hes slightly overpriced for what he does though, this beast as it is should stand around 450/475.... hes not 15 just an average... as hardly many things wound a D9 that much nowadays..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

made some changes, check plz :)

mainly:
The Special Brutal attack will cost no might point as its opose to normal its a single dice strike compared to the normal 4, and its a player´s choice to see whats best.
Shadow and flame; Terror of an ancient world; added some spells been changed/added.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:27 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The special strike is a little unnecessary. I would leave him at 400pts, take away the special strike, the Flame of Udun Spell and make ** just a universally applicable version of channeled Fury. So everyone from Moria is affected by it. He's still super expensive, but with the fury, the spells and the free might, he would be as powerful as his 400 pts should make him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Im not sure about the universal fury cause well... would leave shamans out and this 1 is freaking way harder to kill than a shaman.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Im aalso not giving fury cause spirits would gain it... now get this guy + shadowlord + dwimmerlaik + shade... its expensive, but freaking hell, all with 5+ ignore wounds cause there all spiriits, that would be broken..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

funny all this, I actually made a profile not long ago for Gothmog and for Glaurung, I want to make a plethora of 1st age profiles. I would be happy to playtest profiles for you.

I like the free might per turn and goblin king style fate save too, they would work really well here