All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:37 am

Post subject: Mirkwood Armored Archers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:19 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Anyone buy the Armored Mirkwood Archers, and if so how many? I'm trying to decide if I should get any of these or if I would just use the Mirkwood Rangers for my ranged attacks. I understand they are cheaper (points cost-wise), but archery only goes so far...especially in a good army. Eventually the archers need to get in close combat or be useless. Do the possible extra attacks in melee/elven cloak combo warrant the extra points for the rangers or do the lower costed armored bowmen make more sense? Thoughts?
 Post subject: Re: Mirkwood Armored Archers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:08 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I don't play elves, but I prefer the rangers because they are cheaper (money-wise) and because of the bow limit rule. I think that you either take as much bows as possible or no bows. 100% bows in combination with a forest is very strong (but you don't need the forest). I think that you have to combine them with something else. The problem of the rangers is: Whenever they loose a combat, they will die. Maybe you can give them Lake Town spear support for a cheap extra attack. Palace Guard would be a more elite option. Try to convert a Palace Guard warrior in a Palace Guard banner bearer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Siegrend wrote:
Anyone buy the Armored Mirkwood Archers, and if so how many? I'm trying to decide if I should get any of these or if I would just use the Mirkwood Rangers for my ranged attacks. I understand they are cheaper (points cost-wise), but archery only goes so far...especially in a good army. Eventually the archers need to get in close combat or be useless. Do the possible extra attacks in melee/elven cloak combo warrant the extra points for the rangers or do the lower costed armored bowmen make more sense? Thoughts?

Get Mirkwood Rangers. Their sculpts/poses are awesome and numerous.

Also, their point value is absolutely worth it. They shoot well, and youre worried about close combat.......

Tell me what looks nicer....... 1 mirkwood elf attack with defense four or 2 Ranger attacks(or three if they base would with two enemies) at fight 5, with defense 3?

Most of the time, the enemy is wounding you on 4s these days anyway. Mirkwood Rangers are amazing. Ive fought with and against them over a dozen times combined, and they pay their cost back. Just focus the rest of your army on tough close combat. Personally I like to use them with the old Thranduil. That way enemies will have a hell of a time with them causing terror.

To further what Badner said.....

If youre not comfortable with it, dont do it, but I almost always never exclusively use all Elves. The nicest combination I had was similar to this:

Thranduil
Mirkwood Rangers
Thorin
Warriors Erebor
Alfrid
Lake town spearmen

Sure, you can switch out Alfrid if you dont want your opponent to cry about it even though its pretty themed.

Other wise....that high dwarf defense, 100% bows, terror, close combat masters in Thorin and the Warriors, and spear support. Also at higher points I throw in Beorn.

Even with all Elves, use the Rangers and then Galadhrim(just proxy them dude they have the EXACT same stat line) as Mirkwood elves and focus the rest of your army on spears and shields to shield, and close combat prowess.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the feedback. I already have too many Mirkwwod Rangers so I guess I'll just continue to use them. I'm a collector and part of me wants to have everything for the Mirkwood army, but for the cost of these finecast models I can do without some sculpts if they are just not useful in play.

I always preferred to stay with a single army type, but perhaps with these elves it just won't be all that competitive. I don't like power-gaming but I don't like to get crushed either.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:11 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My thoughts exactly bud. Even sticking with all elves rangers are tough.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:25 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Tell me what looks nicer....... 1 mirkwood elf attack with defense four or 2 Ranger attacks(or three if they base would with two enemies) at fight 5, with defense 3?

Except if you're opponent is a half decent player, he won't surround your rangers in combat.

Don't get me wrong, Rangers are incredibly good and the sculpts are fantastic. However they are very expensive, which in an army of expensive models...isn't great for numbers.

One thing I do like about the archers is the fact you can also equip them with glaives. Allows them to spear support once the lines clash or shield if they get attacked.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:53 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I would say archers. I've posted this on a couple other threads but you need to take other non mirkwood rangers to fully use their 100% limit rule. Since they don't count towards your bow limit you can actually take more bows if you max out on mirkwood elves with bows first. For example if you take a warband like this

Mirkwood elves w/ bow 4
Mirkwood elves w/ shield 4
Mirkwood elves w/ glaive 2
Mirkwood rangers 2

Should give you max bows per points, per warband. I think its a touch faction to build but it definitely is harder trying to build with just the very expensive elite units.

P