All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:31 am

Post subject: Moria 700
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:59 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Here's a go at my 700 point moria force please let me know what you think. I know there's no archers but it's not really a spam list so I figured the archers wouldn't be worth weakening my force to include them

Groblog+ 5 Blackshields+ 5 gob spears+ cave troll

Shaman+ 5 blackshields+ 5gob spears+ cave troll

Shaman+ 5 blackshields+ 5gob spears+ 2 Prowlers (1 with 2 h weapon (point filler)

shaman+ 4 warg marauders

let me know what you think
 Post subject: Re: Moria 700
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I would definitely try and fit a warband of archers in. The ability to whittle down an enemy is priceless.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think it's a very good list. My suggestions would be to replace the fourth shaman and the prowlers, for Durburz: I think 6 Might points are not enough for 700 points.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:52 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I like that idea constantine
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:38 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

In my opinion, the three shamans are too many considering the number of goblins. Two would be fine. Use a model with more Might instead, the lack of it is the main weakness of your force. Durburz is a superb choice I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Could be wise to opt either 3 heros or 4 heros list. I guess groblog gets most out with 4 heros list. And 4 heros need more mass to be effective: Overall: 700p, 52 units, 8 might.

*Durburz
-5 blackshield
-6 spear
-1 cave troll

*Groblog
-5 blackshield
-5 spear
-2 marauder

*Shaman
-5 black shield
-5 spear
-2 marauder

*Shaman
-5 black shield
-7 spear
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:41 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Salattu so you're thinking a little more swarm approach rather than running two trolls? Do you think the extra 5 blackshields and 8 spears will be more effective than a troll? I had been toying with the idea myself I'm just worried that one troll won't be enough at 700 I'd love to hear some people's thoughts on that, especially some of the moria players who I am sure are more experienced than I am at this points level
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think that if you only include one troll it will immediately become a high priority target, for your opponent. If you are to include monsters include more than one.
Hmm, I am leaning in favour of the Blackshields and the warriors being more useful than the troll.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I will def try both play styles the added units will help to make it a harder army to break my only worry I'd the troll seems like it has more killing power especially against heroes.

Also thanks for the ideas and discussion so far all opinions and ideas will help
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:27 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Is durburz better then a blackshield captain? I've heard they're good but i dont have either so i am not sure.

P
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yea he has an extra might is d6 courage 4 and has a 12" stand fast I think he'll be more beneficial to this army than just a captain
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:01 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Actually I forgot to put a banner carrier to the army. Anyways. To me it seems that you want a bit tougher troops than a mass list.

Durburz has a lot more impact in level in whole army than captain, more might and bigger standfast. Goblin captains are never too good fighters, so its quite neglible.

Durburz vs Groblog is a harder case. Durburz' standfast is pretty useless with 2 shamans, their fury gives courage anyways. Just a suggestion, ideal could be either Durburz + shaman + Buhrdur. Or Groblog + shaman + shaman + spiderqueen/burhdur/?. I would take a fighter hero instead second cave troll just because u get more might. Sure they look good too! But there are many viable options, these are examples.

I don't find burhdur bad for themic itself. Its just a big cave troll... It could take warg riders, which moria gets. If Burh was 3. hero, then u nearly should accept mordor orcs as part of army. i don't know if u can do it? By book misty mountains were full of all kind orcs... Tell me what do u think?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The problem with burhder is that I'm making a tournament list and if you ally in another faction there needs to be at least 1 full warband so that's a lot of Mordor Orc I'd have to add. Spider Queen I actually just bought and I'm yet to use her so that's a maybe
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Alright. In this case i would not suggest durburz but going with groblog and 2 shaman. You could take 2 trolls or a spider queen and troll for example.

Spider queen's usefulness can be discussed. It is probably slightly overpriced compared to it was 85 points once and commanded units... It has low defence and low fate, so it can prove to be riscy investment. Also old times monstrous mounts were bigger thing, i feel so. But spider queen also has might, and if person likes its look, it could be good add instead another troll.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I must say that I am personally a mordor player but I was interested and tried to make a good list. I noted a few things overall making moria-army.

Moria does not have strong mages. Mages mostly buff own units. Beastcaller seems to have fairly strong ability, with a buffed animal moria could kill even most strong enemies. Otherwise they don't have very usable transfix etc.

Cavetrolls are ok. Constant damage, almost as good as more expensive mordor troll. But without a mage its unlikely enemy hero is anyhow trapped, so its up to the troll indeed. Nazgul + troll is quite strong combo. Moria could have warg riders or marauders to cause trapped. Or then Bat to win combats. But bat is expensive, then there should be rly much hitting power to get use of bat.

"Elite troops" such as blackshields are not bad, but higher courage than morannon is not useful if there is plan to use shamans... Instead, a goblin captain + 12 goblins is under price of one mordor troll! This ability to use mass seems unique to moria! It also works with idea of buffing own troops.

What do you think would be best?