All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:37 pm

Post subject: First Army
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey all,

I thought I had posted this already, but can't have. I have recently decided to start playing LOTR / Hobbit SBG and I'm looking for my first Army. I am currently debating between Mirkwood, Rohan and Isengard.

I'm leaning towards Mirkwood as I love elves, but also like the idea of cavelry for Rohan. I have ordered a second hand set of 14 Uruk's plus 3 Warg riders and also Gandalf, Legolas, Gimli and Merry from ebay.

Even though Legolas is from LOTR would he be able to lead a hobbit Mirkwood army? Also would Gandalf be able to lead a company?

I can see me having about 4000 questions before the day is out.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,

James
 Post subject: Re: First Army
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:19 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well I can help with a few answers.

Gandalf cannot lead any warbands (in either incarnation) unless you account for the Fellowship special warband.

Legolas has different profiles for the hobbit Mirkwood force and lothlorien/ wood elf free people's force, so if you take the Mirkwood profiles, he can indeed lead them.

Isengard is generally considered a very good starting faction, they have all there stats in the right places for the points, and contain a huge variety of troops, as well as multiple 2 attack having units.

Rohan can be a little tough starting imo, mainly due to a few factors, they are mainly supposed to be a cavalry force, but a rider of rohan lacks killing power, and almost always requires the f4 upgrade from erkenbrand, to cut it in melee roles, they function as fairly good skimirshers though due to bow limit, foot troops have trouble making the famed shield wall, with there complete lack of spears (though a good amount of throwing spears is quite handy) I love Sons of Eorl and Out riders, one is a great shock and fighting cav unit, the other a great skirmisher/ flank objective operating unit. Rohan has some very good mid ranged heroes (erkenbrand, Eorl), a good cheapie in eowyn, and a powerhouse in Eomer, Kotp, but the faction never knows what it's like to have a baseline f6 hero.

Mirkwood plays somewhat like galadrhim (albeit far more expensive cash wise, unless you go with rangers/ palace guard). They have 3 of the most powerlifting heroes in the game imo, Botfa Legolas is one of the best heroes in the game, Botfa Thranduil is a elven blender, that most things without magic will struggle to fight at most times, Tauriel is like a mini Thranduil, and comes at quite a good price point. I love the heroes, not terribly keen on rest, even if Rangers are fairly good skimirshers, and armored elves are always good, but 3 for $25 is rough considering your paying about a dollar per point in elves.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In order of most difficult to succeed with to easiest:

Rohan
Elves
Isengard

I'd go with Uruks first.
Otherwise he pretty much answered most of your questions

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Start by getting
Vrasku
12 urakai scouts
Ugluk
12 urakai scouts
Lurtz
12 urakai scouts
Mauhur
12 urakai scouts
Saruman
4 beserkers
1 banner
Captain with shield
1k pnts
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Gil Galad king wrote:
Start by getting
Vrasku
12 urakai scouts
Ugluk
12 urakai scouts
Lurtz
12 urakai scouts
Mauhur
12 urakai scouts
Saruman
4 beserkers
1 banner
Captain with shield
1k pnts

The above is a failrly themed fluffy force, but here are some points you may want to consider.
Isengard is our main army , if you get scouts Mauhur is a must to unlock the scout upgrade. Vrasku is missle armed hero, and having only two shots in the game is not really getting much use from him. andf I would use a regular unnamed captain. Lurtz problem is that he is an old profile and too expensive,for what you get, and an unnamed captain is again the better option. Lurtz really needs some special rule.
Saruman is important for higher point games , but the first you should consider taking out at lower point games. As for scouts in general a core of standard pike and shield would be more useful, the shields give defence 6 the pike to support combat , with not one but two support models , rather that the one with spears, giving you more flexiblity when sorting out combats. Finally consider. Shaman the fury bubble means a final saving role if wounded and useful if broken Hopefully that has given you something to think about