All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:28 pm

Post subject: High elf shields
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Iam looking to start a high elf army, but the have noted, that the old plastic models do not come shields and are not availible at an option. What have other players done? 1) What do high elf players do? Play without, accepting the lower defence ?, 2) Play without, say that all their non bowman have shields (obviously paying for them on the army list). Re the first option , is an elf army wiyjout shileds viable ?
 Post subject: Re: High elf shields
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:45 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I find shields to be invaluable as elves. While the defense means little against cheeky strength 4 evil armies, the ability to 'shield' with elves is huge! You will likely be outnumbered because of expensive heroes and troops, so managing fights and winning where you have to is important. Rolling two dice to win the fight (3 with banner) is big when your troops are fight 5. I view elven blades as a supporting troop only. Two handed is useful in fights where you want to kill things.

So far as models go, I shelled out for the finecast spearmen. They really are beauties and the spear shafts required only minimal bending to straighten. I understand that they are expensive, but you'll only need a warband or two in any standard list.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Make a press mold or craft your own shield.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:20 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just buy the high elves with spears and shields, in metal or finecast. They're fantastic models to paint considerin they're warriors, and what's more, they look awesome and are even more awesome in game. F5 or 6, D6, C5 is just heroic. They do cost an arm and a leg both in pts and £s though
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I ended converting mine up out of spare parts from the riven dell knights kits and plastic warriors, with shields from a press mold cast in resin.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I generally don't bother with shields except on the spearmen and banners. Using the front guys to deal damage and the guys in back to shield if they need to. But before I started doing that I would just say the swordsmen counted as having shields on them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you for the opinions as for the models, I already bought the models.incuding some metal spearmen As for shileds it does appear the are useful. As for adding them, I 'm loath to spoil the lines of the models. I do have insta mold and green stuff, and have push molded shields before but just was for missing shield and really don't have the skill to add the figure without having it look naff. So would proberly stick to saying the swordman all have shields. Quick question those people who have added sheilds where have added thento the model, any pics ?