All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:53 pm

Post subject: 600pts ARNOR help!
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:00 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi everyone, I'm currently prepearing for an upcoming 600 pts. tournament. I want to use an arnror army, I have little experience using only units form this army, so I'm hoping for some advice:)
The following scenarios will be played:
- Scouts (custom GBHL scenario)
- Domination
- Lords of Battle
- To the Death!
- A Challenge of Champions (custom GBHL scenario)

(I don't like the custom ones, hehe)
Each game will be stopped after 1hour and 50minutes.

Example list:
WB 1
- Elladan(army leader) and Elrohir With Heavy armour, horses and elf bows.
- 5 Warriors of arnor
- 3 rangers of arnor With Spears

WB 2
- Halbarad With banner
- 4 Warriors of arnor
- 4 rangers of arnor with spears

WB 3
- Arathorn
- 4 Warriors of arnor
- 3 rangers of arnor with Spears

WB 4
Ranger of the North with spear

Total 600pts, 28 models, 13 might, 15 bows (two elf) Don't think i need more models because of the timelimit and the def 6 of the arnor guys.
My plan is to shoot all i can then line up a wall with the rangers behind, halbarad will provide the re-roll and make up for the low courage. While I rely on the twins and arathorn to kill as many enemies as possible to break them fast (Depends on the opponent). I will probably use most of my might on heroic strikes and moves as usual.

Thoughts?
 Post subject: Re: 600pts ARNOR help!
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My only suggestion would be to squeeze in Malbeth.

What I see is a force I could duplicate with gondor. You really aren't playing to Arnor's strengths. There is nothing wrong with your force, just keep in mind that Halbarad with banner will be a high priority target as the majority of your warriors possess a courge of two.

Your force isn't bad, it is a solid force, so I am not going to tell you to alter it. What I will say is you have to hit your opponent hard and fast. Arnor will lose the battle of attrition due to low courage, where as this same force (warriors and rangers) will stick around much longer when replicated in the gondor culture. With that in mind, don't think you can out last your opponent.

Use the elves to fight monsters, their high courage and high fight value will limit the number of times you get hurled about. If you find your self on the wrong end of a nazgul on fell beast, shoot it. Shoot it with all your fire power until it is dead.

In fact, since you have 15 bows, that should be your primary strategy. Arrows, arrows, and more arrows. Arnor excels at pushng out the fire power. Use your Warriors of Arnor to stop your opponent from getting to your rangers. Don't walk to your opponent, let him walk to you. In fact, walk away from your opponent so you can fire more arrows.

Lastly, I will reiterate, because it is so important, keep Halbarad in the back for as long as you can. He is a super high priority target. In fact, the next time you find yourself fighting halbarad with banner, kill him first.
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for your reply! I agree With your Points, the best chanse i have With this force is to shoot all I can before close combat, then i can use the elves to flank the enemy line with their horses. I only hope i can keep Halbarad safe from monsters and heroes.

What do you mean by arnors strengths? Malbeth?
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Themic is rly good. Might is rly good.

I'm not sure if the ranger of the north is as effective gamewise as 3 more normal warriors/rangers would be.

The banner is 10% of your army. I would probably go for more units again. It would also mean more bows. ^^
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:20 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Malbeth the seerer is the only good piece in the game which affords good guys a fury save. He is in the Arnor culture.

Arnor's strength is bows. They are one of two factions which can field 100% bows. Combining Rangers of the North and rangers arnor allows you to field all rangers, all armed with bows. That is Arnor's strength. However, as I said, there is nothing wrong with what you made, just keep halbarad alive and you'll be fine. The arnor warriors will provide a solid front line to protect your archers.