All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 12:34 pm

Post subject: Uruk Hai Isenguard
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:03 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey all!

Wondering what a good starter army is for Isenguard and if Uruk Hai Berserkers are good and how many is a good number to own?
 Post subject: Re: Uruk Hai Isenguard
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:57 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I started out with isenguard the only problem is the fight values of heros is at best 5 I suggest you get saruman grima versaku and a captain and then get a couple of boxes of warriors, I only have two berserkers but 4 or 5 would be sooo good!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:56 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Berserkers are really good in their role: They are perfect at killing enemies who are lying down after being transfixed or wizardblasted by Saruman, due to their 2 handed sword. If there is an elf hero down, you can be nearly 100% certain that berserker will go for it and not freeze due to fear.

They do work without Saruman too: normal cheap units such as wild men or orc warriors make them win more likely (if they give dices to combat). Also ballistics might help at knocking enemies down, or why not warg riders.

Berserkers wont go broken in the battle, so you don't need to worry about that. They have good damage and defence, 2 attacks.

To original question. I am not isengard pro, but berserkers seem really good units. Sure, there is an alternative option called feral uruk-hai, which is cheaper and about same stats, and fight 1 handed so dont need to worry loosing fights especially but neither have the incredible hit power of berserkers when win.

Personally I would choose to take at least some berserkers. They have a role in game. And they also look more FEARSOME than nearly any other warrior in game.

So, if you want a berserker spam, its very fine. I guess 500 point army could have up to 12 berserkers if you like them, though 8 would be probably enough.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi,
Isengard is a great faction to play. They have F4 for all warriors (uruks, at least), and cheap heroes (but lack of F6). S4 for warriors and S5 for heroes is great too!

Saruman is a great choice but he's expensive, you won't field him in lower points games... When you do, include Grima if you can afford, he's a real pain to play against !

Lurtz and Ugluk aren't really powerfull (lurtz has no special rule, and because of his bow, he can't benefits from the shield... he's only D5... - Ugluk special rule is quite situational).
I suggest you taking Vrasku (crossbow sniper ^^). Mauhur is powerful with his 3 attacks, increased speed, but he only has 2 might... Captains with heavy armor and shield are D7, which is pretty good.
Uruk-hai Shaman are pretty good too, with their "Fury" spell!

For the warriors, scouts may be useful for mobility with their increased speed if taken with Mauhur. Otherwise, go for Uruk-hai warriors (best defense). You can make pike blocks (1 shied and 2 pikes behind). If you need shooting weapons, crossbows are deadly (S4, hits on 4+...). You need to quickly go to a strategic point, however, to make them effective. And when they are not useful anymore, send them to battle. With F4, S4, D5, they'll still do some damage ^^
You also can add a banner if you want to, this can help with pike blocks.

Berserkers are killers, I always include a few in my armies and send them against the threats or to kill infantry :) Ferals Uruk, well, I've just received 2 so I'll include them in my next game :p
Pay attention not to loose those elites before the armies clash. I tend to keep them safe until that moment (they'll be pincushion every game if you don't) :p

I've never used Dunlendings, or orcs, or Isengard trolls, so I can't help you with these units.

If you need mobility, wargs are cheap but can cause havoc against low def units. They have weak defense (D5 with shield), so don't let them be fired at! Use Sharku to lead a few amount (5-6 wargs), and keep them together (cavalry need to move first, heroic charge with Sharku and his 3 might points !)

I hope that helps you, and sorry for the bad English :)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:09 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You don't have to go 2handed with the beserkers. All models (except those who is unarmed in the profile) have a hand weapon they can use.

Try to max out on crossbows. Strength 4 shots can seriously ruin alot of armies.

I find Uruk shamans is also a really nice thing to pick up. Uruks have a high basecost and if you can save them, it will really be worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks everyone for the feedback!! It has been very helpful. Sounds like crossbows are a priority purchase.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I consider Isengard my main faction. Beserkers are a must as well as a shaman, crossbowman, and ferals. Ferals are very good for their points but hard to find. You could proxy them by using uruks demolition warriors. With a few conversions they would look great. Fury has saved me on average 60 points of uruks. I like to think of it this way, if we play a 600 point match and my Shaman saves 60 points worth of uruks, then its like I showed up with a 660 point army. Varasku is great with a warband of crossbowman. A good set up is a Shaman leading 6 beserkers with 5 ferals and one banner bearer behind them to benefit from the beserkers defense 6.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:41 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Good info. I have a ton of sword and board uruks and pikes. I have 6 berserkers and two uruks ballistas. for heroes I have Saurmon and Grima. No other heroes yet. I have decided to convert up the crossbows with broken pikemen.