All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:36 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 961 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 49  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:29 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Brilliant work on the Belly Scales! Looking forward to the rest of this project :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ebob wrote:
I started a discussion on the sculptor's forum about your dragon, thought you might be interested.

Be warned that honest opinions are aired on the sculptors forum, you won't get a continuous stream of praise - but you will get honest feedback. Generally, I think it's well recieved - some discussion about the belly scales.

Thanks for the warning Ebob! I read it after reading the comments! Wow, they really express themselves. :D I'm tough enough to take it (even though some are rather condescending). The criticism of the belly was interesting to read. Obviously there's a wide range of opinions as to what a dragon's belly should look like - snake-like or not snake-like. It's a difficult choice but in the end I just went with what felt right for me. I didn't want the smoother snake belly of the GW model and changed mine to have a tougher, more leathery, armoured look. This is different from the Smaug of the Hobbit. He had a soft underbelly that could easily be pierced with an arrow. Ah, well. Each to their own. I'd like to see some of the sculptures made by the guys on your forum. It would help me know where they're coming from.

Ah, it's bliss to be an amateur! :wink:

Thanks for the advice on casting. I'll see how the project turns out and consider it.

Cheers,
Natarn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think in general they liked what they saw, frothers can be a tough pplace mate so beware make sure you have dragon scale armour before diving into that place lol.

Last edited by tidoco on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:54 am 
Ufff... I just looked through this thread and am amazed. I don't know how I missed it so long. Your Dragon really looks magnificient. I'm really looking forward to see it finished. I always thought about sculpting one myself but never dared to, now I have even more doubts if I could make it. ;)

Greetings, Ela.

Post subject: Picture update
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks, Elastirion.

I've started to fill the gap between the spines and the belly. Here's a huge close up!

The base of the tail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

There's all kinds on Frothers.. several commercial sculptors, casters and just general idiots - but if it's Devlan Mud, they'll let you know! which is a good thing. You could post any old piece of tat on here or on Steve Dean Forum and all you'll get is love-hearts and sickly-sweet comments of praise, but what you need is gut reaction - good and bad, only then will you know if you've actually hit the mark or not.

Hasselfresian on Frothers is very good. Check out Hassel Free Miniatures - and the dragon in his WIP folder!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:46 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yes I am hoping that Kev gets that finished one day, the pose reminds me so much of the old Great Spined Dragon.
 Post subject: HasselDragon
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

:D Wow! That's a great dragon. I love the skeleton - did he boil the flesh off a lizard for that? Fantastic. Actually sculpting a skeleton before adding muscles before adding skin is really brilliant, creating a totally realistic creature. Amazing. I'll check out his WIP and it may inspire me for my next dragon.

Did I say next dragon? Hold on there! I'd better finish this one first.

I know what you mean about the long, thin wiry-ness of Tolkien's sketches of Smaug. I took his drawings as a starting point and then went down the road of my childhood imaginings of dragons. I've seen the Welsh flag too many times.

Hasselfresian's dragon has incredible tension. He's so alert, ready to leap into the air...

I will take it as a compliment that no Frothers actually described my dragon as [word deleted]. That's a boost to my self-esteem, as is your interest in my efforts. For my first dragon, I'm really happy with the way it is turning out (apart from the head). However, there are certainly a few things I'd do very differently were I to sculpt another.

What is the size of Hassel's dragon? Is it on a cork from a wine bottle :shock: or a storage jar? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Very tidy work there mate, the gap between the spines and the belly is different to what I would imagine it to look like but now that I see the smaller scales up against the larger belly scales, it all fits very nicely.

A few of those comments on that site were just plain rude! Especially that 'woody' individual. Shouldn't criticise something if he's got no explanation to back it up :x

Natarn Ulka wrote:
I'll check out his WIP and it may inspire me for my next dragon.

Did I say next dragon?

:shock: Come again? Did you say next dragon

:P Excellent!

Keep up the fine work mate and don't let any frother bother ya! (couldn't resist)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks, Jack. I actually don't mind critical comments that make me think about my work in a new way. When I was at college we often had 'crits', when tutors or other students would give (mostly constructive) criticism of work. Some you take, some you leave. It's great to have praise, because it is so encouraging - but praise alone doesn't always bring out the best. Often others have thought of things that you haven't and it is very helpful when such things are pointed out.

Scale report.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:16 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Superb scale mate, very detailed. Great stuff here.

In my hobby life I steped on a piece of Knoledge that can be useful in ypu Tips :D

Sculpting Tip No.2 : Never use your lips to hold any piece covered with Super Glue

:)

www.independent-painters.blogspot.com/
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:04 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That piece is just too amazing Natarn!
Remember the missing scale in his chest ;)

Keep up the good work!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:58 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I see dots on the scales... are you still counting as you go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

BrentS wrote:
I see dots on the scales... are you still counting as you go?

Yes, I am keeping a running total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:58 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Natarn Ulka said:
Quote:
Yes, I am keeping a running total.

Now that would be a nice competition question - how many scales on your Smaug?

One little thing to bear in mind regarding public criticism; people can be very harsh when they percieve someone as an upstart newcomer/outsider (or amateur). I have seen this in many walks of life. In my opinion, your dragon is one of the best I have seen anywhere (based on the WIP), though there is a way to go yet and the wings are such an important element in the overall composition so we wait with bated breath (and crossed fingers) for the next installment.

Wouldn't it be fascinating to know what WETA and Co have come up with for His Nibs in the film?

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks for your comments, Dorthonion. :oops: You are a great encouragement. :D

Dorthonion wrote:
One little thing to bear in mind regarding public criticism; people can be very harsh when they percieve someone as an upstart.

Oh, I'm definitely an upstart. :wink:

Another load of scales sculpted. I know it must seem very slow and there's not much of a change between each post, but these scales do take a long time to sculpt and when I've done a load I like to show you how it's developing.

By the way, perceive is spelt like this. :wink: The 'i before e, except after c' rule. Just working on being an upstart. :D

Last edited by Natarn on Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

That is a stunning shot. Upstart or no, it looks amazing.... to think you started all down this path with a pizza box (if I recall correctly).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

BrentS wrote:
to think you started all down this path with a pizza box (if I recall correctly).

Ah, do you mean my fort?

Yes, foam from packets of pizza started the fort project. I am now a nutty sculptor. I love it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I love that dragon. I think the limbs could be thicker, but the belly is GREAT. Still, better than a pizza box! Which I wish had now, by the way. Then again, a dragon like that would be pretty cool. Sorry, IS pretty cool. I love that dragon. I'll stop typing now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You need to consider the feet soon. I suggest you build the fingers/toes in wire and graft that onto the leg wire. How are you going to do the wings?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 961 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 49  Next