All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:19 pm

Post subject: Death to the Dwarves!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My friend is going to start a dwarf army, and I know that dwarves are really strong close-combat fighters, and they have really strong defenses, so they're pretty tought to kill by archery. I usually play Haradrim, and I'm worried that I'm going to get slaughtered in close combat because of their lousy armour. :shock: Some ideas for victory would be apreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:06 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

My advice would be to focus on bringing superior numbers to bear through the use of spears. Since Dwarves cannot take spears this should give you a numerical advantage in trying to win the fights. Taking a banner would increase those chances. Also, use cavalry to swing around the flanks of his shieldwall. You can charge from the rear, enabling you to trap his warriors and impale him on your lances. Yes, Dwarven armor is thick and sturdy, but it can be penetrated with enough attempts.

Also, remember that some scenarios will favor your increased mobility. Always be aware of the mission objectives and focus on completing them. He may slaughter your army, but if you complete your objectives, you win!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:44 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Erunion makes great points. Most players start out wanting to just charge into the fray. This is something you need to avoid. But your strength is mobility, and probably numbers. Pepper him with arrows, swirl around him until you can pinch off a small group. Cheap cavalry with war spears (+1 wound) could come in handy at this point...
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:51 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

something i would like to point out is that dwarves have F4, so they have more then you do. taking some corsairs of umbar with spear and have them assist could solve this problem, since they have F4 too
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:43 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Phantom_Lord wrote:
something i would like to point out is that dwarves have F4, so they have more then you do. taking some corsairs of umbar with spear and have them assist could solve this problem, since they have F4 too

Yes, it's true that Dwarfes have high fight, but corsairs as supporting troops will not help you at all since none of the supporter's stats will come into account. The thing about their high fight is that if they are inside the range of a banner or using shielding, they have the better chanse of winning a fight even if you have spear support AND a banner. What I would suggest is to take as much cavalry as possible while still maxing out your model caunt and bow limit, if you want to you could even add in some Mahuds and Half Trools to giva a better punch. Maybe you could try something like this:

Cavalry heavy:

Suladan---------------------------------------------------------90
Captain/ Horse/ war spear------------------------------------60

1 Haradrim/ banner------------------------------------------30
12 Harad cavalry (8 with war spear instead of bow)-------132
11 haradrim/ bow----------------------------------------------66
17 haradrim/ spear--------------------------------------------102
4 haradrim/ nothing-------------------------------------------20

500p/ 5 might/ 33% bows/ 47 haradrim / 13 cavalry
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:22 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

What about Far harad? the Mahud? same fighting skill but with 2 attacks, now thats deadly :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the advice! I can't believe I forgot about the Mahud (I collect Mahud too; thats pretty sad). Usually I choose a Mahud King on camel w/ a bodyguard of raiders. then i have a core of warriors backed up by a couple of Half-trolls. Maybe I could swing around the back w/ my raiders while my king and infantry attack from the front...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I would take enough arhcers to make the poison arrows work like a charm.

rerolls on 1's can be good - I would go for 12 archers.

And load of half trolls, haradrim, watchers of karna and anything else you can get hold of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:52 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Says the Dwarf: You can't win. Just give up now, you have no chance.

Says common sense: Big things are mean to Dwarves. Any Trolls, Half-Trolls, and Mumaks at your disposal will help. Just watch out for Khazad Guard!

Another thing to try is to win the shooting game. With only 5" of movement, a Dwarf army needs its Rangers and Ballistae to provide long-range support, both of which are relatively squishy. Once you've taken out their shooting, just pick away at them and eventually they will die.

Post subject: hard
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:46 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

halftrolls strenght 5
but the ultimate weapon has a trunk and is big.
[/quote]grey as a maus big as an house[quote][/quote]