All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:29 am

Post subject: White Guard of Faramir.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey all, I was just reading up on Beregond and was reminded that he became Captain of Faramir's troops after Sauron's downfall. Here are some rules for a few of them. I'm converting models now.

Faramir, Prince of Ithilien (100pts)

Faramir has been revived from the brink of death by Aragorn, Chieftain of the Northern Dunedain. The young Steward's wisdom and strength have only been buttressed by his experiences, and his optimism is given new life by his love of the Rohirrim Shield Maiden Eowyn. After the War of The Ring, Faramir was made Prince of Ithilien by the newly crowned King Elessar, as well as retaining his hereditary post as Steward.

F/Sh S D A W C
6/3+ 4 6 2 2 6

M:3
W:3
F:2

Faramir wears heavy armour and carries a sword. He may be given the following items at additional cost:

Longbow......5 points
Lance......5 points
Horse......10 points

Special Rule
For Faramir! As Prince of Ithilien, Faramir commands a garrison comprised of hand-picked troops. Most of these have been fighting alongside Faramir for years, and have cause to die for him. Any White Company or Ranger of Ithilien models within 6"/12cm of Faramir count as being within the area of effect of a banner.

Beregond, Captain of the White Company (65pts)

Though he has earned a death sentence for slaying fellow Gondorians on hallowed ground, the wise King Elessar has instead allowed Beregond, former Tower Guard, to follow his beloved Lord Faramir to Ithilien. Only for Beregond's valour and common sense was Faramir saved from his mad father, Denethor. Tempered by battle at the Black Gate of Mordor itself, Beregond will no doubt prove an able commander for the forces of Ithilien.

F/Sh S D A W C
5/3+ 4 6 2 2 4

M:2
W:2

Beregond wears heavy armour and carries a sword and longbow. He may be given the following items at additional cost:

Lance......5 points
Horse......10 points

Special Rule
Bodyguard So long as Faramir is alive and on the table, Beregond will pass all Courage tests he is required to take.

Mablung, Captain of the Ithilien Rangers (75pts)

Mablung was one of Faramir's most trusted lieutenants among the Rangers of Ithilien, one of the few who Faramir trusted with the knowledge of Frodo Baggins' quest. In return Mablung stood by his captain through battles in Ithilien and at Osgiliath, surviving through his strength of arms and skill. Such is Mablung's skill at ambush that he led the scouts of the Army of the West, diffusing an Easterling trap lying in wait for the valiant Men of Gondor and Rohan.

F/Sh S D A W C
5/3+ 4 5 2 2 5

M:2
W:2

Mablung wears armour and carries a sword and bow. He may be given the following items at additional cost:

Lance......5 points
Horse......10 points

Special Rule
Master Ambusher Mablung (and any Rangers within 6"/14cm of him) count as being Woodland Creatures. Furthermore, such is Mablung's skill in pathfinding that when mounted, he and any mounted Rangers within 6"/14cm can move up to HALF of their normal move through wooded terrain, and retain any charge bonuses when attacking other infantry models.

This is all I have for now. I'll be posting Warrior profiles as well as a Lieutenant of the White Guard profile at some point.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Looks great! 8) Can't wait for the rest of the profiles to come out!

Why?

Because it's my birthday... <i>and I wants it.</i>
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:16 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nice idea, I like this "after LotR's" feel 8)

Only question, why would the rangers be mounted?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:41 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nice work and love the ideas. But you know I'm going to comment :)

For 100 points, Faramir should at least get 3 attacks. It's all about dice and odds, and it's hard to justify fielding a 100 point model that can only roll 2 dice. Those dice are the only thing between the enemy and his 2 wounds...speaking of which...again, it's a bit low just because it's a lot of points invested. I'd almost prefer to take 2 normal captains: twice the wounds, 1 more might, and greater flexibility. I don't know that he needs Fight 6...

For Beregond, I kind of liked having the option of a low-cost hero to fill things out. Maybe his son can fill that void...
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

whafrog wrote:
For 100 points, Faramir should at least get 3 attacks. It's all about dice and odds, and it's hard to justify fielding a 100 point model that can only roll 2 dice. Those dice are the only thing between the enemy and his 2 wounds...speaking of which...again, it's a bit low just because it's a lot of points invested. I'd almost prefer to take 2 normal captains: twice the wounds, 1 more might, and greater flexibility. I don't know that he needs Fight 6...

i agree with whafrog here. he is a risk, considering he's 100 points and dies rather quickly.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Not experienced enough with the stats side of things to comment on them, but I like how you've themed the special abilities, and look forward to seeing your conversions!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

whafrog wrote:
Nice work and love the ideas. But you know I'm going to comment :)

For Beregond, I kind of liked having the option of a low-cost hero to fill things out. Maybe his son can fill that void...

It's always a gamble. Some people would cry out that making Faramir a 3A, 3W "Kombat Monstur!" is way over the top. Maybe I should drop his Fv back to 5 and give him an extra Attack. The Courage is justified, I think, since he risked his life in daring actions many times in the books.

Beregond is a bigger Hero now, yes, but I think the precedent set in WoTR (where he is Fv5) allows for this. I'm not finished yet, so there will definitely be some small Heroes. I've already painted my spare Damrod in an alternate scheme, and I doubt I'll alter his profile. I also like your idea of using Bergil as a young Guardsman character.

As for the Rangers using horses, why wouldn't they? There is precedent for this; the Rangers of the North use them in both the books AND the game. Rangers of Ithilien use them to retreat from Osgiliath in the book and film, so obviously they KNOW how to ride at the very least.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

King Dain Ironfoot wrote:
As for the Rangers using horses, why wouldn't they? There is precedent for this; the Rangers of the North use them in both the books AND the game. Rangers of Ithilien use them to retreat from Osgiliath in the book and film, so obviously they KNOW how to ride at the very least.

They can probably fish and build fires too.

Does that mean you will arm them with fishing rods and burning brands?

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

lol, I ment that when fighting, they would be on foot to take advantage of their stealth and ambush tactics.

Horses are fine for running away or traveling long distances, not so much for sneeking up on people, maby adding some Knigts of Minas Tirith as Ithilien Knights would add some cavalry, or even messengers on horseback...

(unless I'm mistaken the GC fought on foot at the Pellenor fields)

Still I like your idea 8) maby you should also add Eowyn.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

gaarew wrote:

They can probably fish and build fires too.

Does that mean you will arm them with fishing rods and burning brands?

:wink:

If there were rules for them, then maybe! :P Hey, I like that; an "immolation bonus" for a model charging with a flaming brand... Denethor beware! :lol:

The thing is, upon trying to think of troops for the list I could only come up with the White Guard (which I equated with Citadel Guard seeing as Beregond was their Captain) and the Rangers. Obviously there is so much more I could add, but at the risk of this turning into "The Tower of Ecthelion 2.0"

As for Eowyn, it is stated in the book that after her marriage to Faramir she no longer needed to prove herself in battle. She didn't fight anymore.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:46 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

As for Eowyn, it is stated in the book that after her marriage to Faramir she no longer needed to prove herself in battle. She didn't fight anymore.

Yeah, she became a Healer. But she *could* still fight. Maybe she could be like Arwen, but with Renew instead of Nature's Wrath.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

whafrog wrote:
Yeah, she became a Healer. But she *could* still fight. Maybe she could be like Arwen, but with Renew instead of Nature's Wrath.

Hmmm...interesting idea. I think I'd put her Fv down to 4 though, as she'd probably gotten a little "rusty" on the combat side of things. I'm afraid I have NO idea how to do costs for magical powers and such though :roll:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

yaba-daba-doo the cost calculator for you! :-D http://membres.lycos.fr/l01c/lotrcostcalc.html