Allies-
Gandalf the Grey- 200
Aragorn- 200

C & C welcome!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It looks fairly solid, but you can probably remove some of the captains: 200points of captains is the same as 5 companies of dwarves ;) I'd suggest keeping a captain/shieldbearer in the formation that you expect Gandalf to be in and the rest are somewhat unnecessary because of the Epic Heroes. However, shieldbearers can be a God-send, doubling your chances of remaining steadfast if you manage to lose combats, but they also still increase fight by one and come with a point of Might for half the cost of a captain. The Epic Heores that you have should devastate the battlefield anyhow, so you could possibly drop a fighty one for more boides, but that's not necessary.

Hope that helps ;)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I agree that you have too many captains. I also think that you have too few formations, as your opponent can cast pall of night on them and keep them out of combat. If you don't want more units you need more magic to counter the pall of nights. So my advice would be to exchange the captains for more units, or for an elven magic user like Elrond or Thranduil.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would drop two of your epic heroes, maybe Balin and Aragorn? Also drop the Khazad Guard captain: most of the time you'll probably have an Epic hero there as it's you strongest formation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My new list

3 Dwarf Warrior Companies- 120, Shields
3 Dwarf Warrior Companies- 120, Shields
3 Dwarf Warriors Companies-120, Shields

Rare-

King’s Champion-175
3 Dwarf Ballista- 180
4 Khazâd Guard- 200

Epic Hero-
Gimli-175
Dáin Ironfoot King Under the Mountain- 200
Balin Lord of Moria- 100

Allies-
Gandalf the Grey- 200
Aragorn- 200
Faramir-90

Faramir, Balin, and Gimli will each take a separate company of dwarf warriors and act as captains, but better. Aragorn, Dain, and Gandalf will go in the Khazad Guard Company. i am going to combo Dain's rampage with Aragorn's 2+ to hit. I also do not need as many companies because I have such high dense with dwarfs.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dwarves do have a high defence, but you only need a phase of your opponent getting good rolls for it to be devastating. My girlfriend and I played a very small game and a single formation of two companies of elves with bows were killing a minimum of 5 dwarves a shooting phase. That was a 750 point battle, so imagine a full balanced army doing that. Having 6 Epic Heroes will let the army get chewed up and spat out, with each formation destroyed killing an Epic Hero too.

Also, 3 Epic Heroes in a single formation will receive all of the opponent's ranged focus to try and claim 800 points. It's a case of all of your eggs in one basket and relying on the D7, which is still simple enough to bypass.

I would suggest dropping at least one of the 200 point Epic Heroes. That's equivalent to 10% of your army and you can field 5 companies of Dwarves ib their stead.

If the companies survived to get into combat, then they should do some damage (primarily the Epic Heroes do the damage), but it's trying to ge them to survive for that long.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I see what you said but If I use Epic Defense its D9!

Ill make a new list
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That's true, but off the top of my head, does that not only affect the fight phase? Even if not, it's a lot to rely on and costs a point of might, which may be better spent in another manner. Personally, I feel that might should be used to create a great situation or lessen a bad one, rather than having tactics base around them. But that's just me.

Be glad to try and help with a new list. Hope I'm being helpful :P
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree with Hasnut's Blessing: you should drop some of the Epic heroes. Dwarfs tend to be pretty realiable anywyas, so I don't expect you'll need many heroes.