All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 7:29 pm

Post subject: basing color
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Now that I have the trays to play WotR, I'm wondering about base color. Do people just spray paint them? I'd like to go for a base scheme the same as the ones in the books which looks to me like bestial brown. But is that the right color? And how do you paint the trays? They seem awfully big to brush paint but GW does make any bestial brown (or whatever color it is) in a can?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:18 am 
Administrator
Administrator

You dont need to use GW paints. I'm sure you can find all sorts of colours in a can in any good DIY store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

There are several problems that I have encountered when finishing WOTR bases. The first is that if you spray them, then the figures do not fit well in the holes. The fix is to clean out each hole with a hobby knife. However, this wastes all the time that you save by spraying. You could try to cover the holes when you spray, but then the entire tray would not be painted. Thus my advice is to buy a big brush and paint the trays by hand.

The second problem I encountered is that the basing material can become unglued if you use pva glue, because you constantly remove figures from the trays. My solution was to use epoxy to hold down the basing material.

Now, on to your questions. I think that GW usually uses bestial brown on the bases. GW does not make a bestial brown spray can. However, you can use an airbrush to spray GW paints. (I would not advise going the airbrush or spray route.) You can also buy spray paints in DIY stores. MAKE SURE YOU TEST OUT THE COLOR AND LET IT DRY before you put it on your models. It has been my experience that spray paints rarely match the color they advertise.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks that was just what I needed to know. I'll just paint the edges of the trays and put terrain on the tops. Then I guess the holes should remain gray?