All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:14 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Cool, didn't know this was so important :) (I just played my first game :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Wait... what happens in the following turn when you are disordered? You roll a courage test and if you pass, all is good, right? If you fail, you can only retreat and you can only roll one die in the fight, right? Do you also lose all your fight value like with terror?

Also - you're at -1 for the courage test if someone is near you, but is that the case for all courage tests, or only those rolled because of disorder status?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

midloo wrote:
Also - you're at -1 for the courage test if someone is near you, but is that the case for all courage tests, or only those rolled because of disorder status?

A formation gets a -1 to all courage tests if an enemy formation is within 6in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

General Elessar wrote:
midloo wrote:

A formation gets a -1 to all courage tests if an enemy formation is within 6in.

Don't think that is correct, rules don't mention a -1 for Terror tests or leaving terrain. Does for restoring disorder and moving at the double, don't know about other tests.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:06 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

yes, it has to pass a courage test before its movement. if it passes the test all is ok and it can act normally.

the draw back is that, it's probably within 6" from an enemy formation so it will take the test at -1 courage. also if it's charged first then it will not take the test and will have to fight as disordered, only then it means rolling only 1 dice without any modifiers. a very nasty situation that will probably lead to at least two losses in a row.

in case of failing to pass the test, then the only thing it can do is fall back if the controlling player chooses to do so, otherwise stand and face its destiny.

as far as I know, the normal courage test doesn't have a -1 penalty, so it's a situation specific.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

MuslimRohirrim wrote:
as far as I know, the normal courage test doesn't have a -1 penalty, so it's a situation specific.

That's what I thought the result of a half-hearted attempt to go through the rulebook was. We had a question last year about whether a -1 is applied any time the enemy is within 6" and we couldn't find it.

So only for disordered or at the double... got it. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thats anothing that bugs me with the rules - inconsistancy and something else to try and remember and get right. I am forever having to refer to the rulebook to see if its being played right.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

True, very true, I know almost all rules now, but make a lot of mistakes here and there, and its sometimes hard to find all the exceptions etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It's things like that that make banners so important: they double your chances of remaining steadfast. If you're a dwarf with a shieldbearer as well, then you are theoretically 4 times as likely!

There are gripes with all systems and it's a shame that this has more than most. I don't have the rulebook to hand, but I believe the 6" -1C thing is only for disorder and at the doubles,a lthough I thought "At the double" was similar to marching in WH in that you can't do it within 8" of the enemy.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:51 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oh this system has much less gripes than many games I have seen. Most of them seem to relate to assumptions from elsewhere. In the rule's defense, they are better at first edition than many later additions of other rules. :)

Doubling is not similar to marching in Warhammer (or FOW, for that matter) mechanically speaking, though there is a similar effect. If you double move within 6", you will move more slowly.