All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:25 am

Post subject: maybe a dumb idea but -
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

is their a way to send an idea to GW like this one. Ok so while I was reading the hobbit this great idea came to mind. why in war of the ring does it considers all the battles to be in the day when it is dark out some times. Well my idea is to make a war of the ring expansion that on every other round it is dark out and does so and so to the troop stats and gives them so and so abilities and so and so rules that are put down on that round so who wants to help me make it real. these are the ideas I’ve came up with so far R stands for reduce to or by I haven’t decided yet and U stands for upgrade to or by and - for stand at what it normally is and N stands for none this round or you mite say 0 this round. all this is for in the faze’s that are in the night round of course. down their are what the stats will look like some what with lines in between them

R - R R U N
4 - -1 3 7 0
M F S D C M
8 4 4 4 3 3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think there should just be night fighting rules that effect shooting (kind of like enchanted cloaks rule)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:05 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

^^ agreed. but mabye not just shooting. perhaps they can't charge anything more than 12'' away either cause they cant see them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:56 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I like the idea. Sadly, game companies rarely pick up on fan stuff. They have not even listened to our requests for a FAQ. You could work your idea into a set of house rules, or a fan made expansion for WOTR.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Every other turn is too often...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

first thanks for the good ideas and ya Every other turn is too often how about roll a die or every third round and you said- They have not even listened to our requests for a FAQ- well how did you try to contact them? ps- keep the ideas coming :-D :-D :D :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

mada wrote:
first thanks for the good ideas and ya Every other turn is too often how about roll a die or every third round and you said

I think rolling a dice would be better. Or how about this: if the roll for priority is a draw, it changes to night (or if it is already night it turns back to day).

PS. 400th Post! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

General Elessar wrote:
Quote:
how about this: if the roll for priority is a draw, it changes to night (or if it is already night it turns back to day).
nice idea that will work 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

there were some very nice rules for every day time and weather condition in BGIME #65.
I don't have it right now, but I think it was based on a die roll result to decide the day time the game starts at, then if the starting day time is at dawn or twilight then another roll is taken to decide how many turns till day time changes or something to that effect. rules was given for each day time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:18 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

What about the fact that moria goblins can see better at night than their mordor and isengard counterparts iirc, orcs are weakened by the sun, and i think elves have night vision? Difficult terrain, would be more difficult, and dangerous terrain more so. You can't move as far/fast in general at night.

What about spells like pall of night, and blinding light? I'd think at night, blinding light would do so much more beacuse of the way eyes work. If you look into a bright light at night, your vision is Devlan Mud for atleast a half hour because of the rods/cones (its also why you see white specks and stuff when you close your eyes, or look away after looking at a light).

With shooting, at night sure you cant see your target as well, but your target cant see the arrows coming at him, so arrows should be +1 str, i think, and maybe the range is reduced, or the short range/long range thing changes. ex: shortbows 9''-18'' normally, turns into 6''-12'' or 6''-18''. Just an idea.

Id think terror tests would be easier to fail too. Trolls are scarier at night. Also, trolls that arent olog-hai (the mordor troll chieftan), should be weakened at day, cave trolls the most.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

nice ideas Thorin & Co. now keep um coming 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The whole night thing makes sense. Not sure fluff-wise, if it matches up, but in the movies the battles of the last alliance were in the dark, maybe because of a dark cloud over mordor, or maybe because it was night, either way, night fighting rules should apply. Same thing for the battle of the hornburg. Battles in a thick forest like fangorn, mirkwood and lorien, i would presume to be dark, as well as ones under the mountains like moria.

Instead of doing an entire expansion, you could condense it down into a scenario. By that i mean, clump rules into a couple more generic rules, and then pick a few that you like. Theres probably 4 main categories:
Day benefits (shooting), day negatives (orcs and such), night benefits (orcs and such), night negatives.

If you wanted to do an expansion, it might be a good idea to write scenarios for battles that are fought in the dark, alot of which arent in the core rulebook (all of the battles in moria specifically).

By extension, you could try to include weather conditions. Rain could be the most common, but other things to think about would be snow (the tops of mountains) and heat (open plains, the deserts of harad, wastelands). Rain would make shooting pretty much useless, since the water would ruin the composite materials that make up bows and the fletchings of arrows. It could potentially disrupt movement too. Heat, would effect things that are more heavily armored more-- armor that gondorians wear would cook them, wheras the haradrim have light armor and head coverings.

Just some thoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I look forward to seeing the final product. :D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Having it go from light to dark every turn makes less since than all battles being done in day time.

Post subject: Home rules
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:26 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Having it go from light to dark every turn makes less since than all battles being done in day time.

Try this: take a D6 and a D12. !-3 am4-6 pm. The result of the D12 will be the hour. Each whole turn could advance the clock 1 hour. The you can apply what ever modifiers you think would work in the scenario or your home rules.

I think this rule was called bad light in a old out of print game called Fantasy Warriors. They had scouting rules that gave you an advantage for the time of day and some times the choice of terrain on the battle field. They even had a spell to advance or set back the clock. I think most of the effect of bad light was to the games equivalent of courage. Bad light should reduce the range of shooting to short for any units effected.

Try this out or let me know what you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

this is what I had decided on if the roll for priority is a draw, it changes to night and is so for one round this was also a good idea this way a could actually finish it. Instead of doing an entire expansion, you could condense it down into a scenario. By that i mean, clump rules into a couple more generic rules, and then pick a few that you like. Theres probably 4 main categories:
Day benefits (shooting), day negatives (orcs and such), night benefits (orcs and such), night negatives. 8)