All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:19 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

No, it's not whi I play against, been playing with them for 30+ years :) WoTR just doesn't feel like Middle-earth and with all the arguments seen on the forums over its rules, I doubt if I will ever play in a competition as no two people play the game the same way.

Crikey, haven't seen that sight for years!

I've started another thread for WOTR?Ancients cross over so as not to go off-topic here. Topic could have dne with a vote button :)

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=206601#206601
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I oftwn realize I'm blessed with a group of mature gamers that believe more in theme and fun than power-combos and winning (though our lists are solid and our games are very competative). We just don't get that sort of attitude some of you complain about. We have some WH/40K players that are more along those lines but thankfully not many and I never have to cast dice with them since they don't do anything LotR.

I agree that WotR did bring in more porential magic than SBG, but most of the named casters were in SBG as well so they're not really new and many evil lists already had shamen for weak support magic. The cost of these Mastery 1 generic casters is usually equal to 2-4 Companies so they really are not the prevelant and don't do too much to upset the balance when they are there. And the powerful ones, Nazgul, Wizards and some Legendary Formation powerhouses are expected to be great forces anyway. Although Tolkien rarely made magic an obvious force he often made comments about the power of such forces and those with skill manipulating them.

If players want to get cheezy such as the 'pinwheel of death' from another thread, well that's their option. There was cheeze potential in SBG as well. At a tourney you may not have much choice, but if you have the problem in your local game club for friendly games then, IMO, that's as much a problem with the club as with the rules. Let the person know that no one likes power gamers and if they keep at it just don't play them.

I still prefer SBG myself as mentioned before, but I don't think WotR should be cast aside as "evil". Just managed locally to keep more to the spirit of the source material. Now if you just don't like formation-based games (and I'm not a huge fan of them myselves) that's different.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject: Re: How?
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:19 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Oldman Willow wrote:
Quote:
I agree with Whafrog about the "Tolkien flavor" being taken out of WotR, and that is the primary reason I choose to play only SBG.

How and Why?
I would like to know what Whafrog thinks as well.

For all the epic scope of the books, Tolkien's world is still very down to earth. The emphasis is on ordinary folks stuck in extra-ordinary times, getting the job done with grit, determination and perseverance. There is very little "magic", and barring displays from Gandalf, what there is is mostly a contest of wills. So putting it in the game and having all the Epic This and That just turns it into a cartoon.

SBG, while modeled on the movies, still manages to keep that gritty personal flavour.

...all just MHO.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:24 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hithero wrote:
I doubt if I will ever play in a competition as no two people play the game the same way.

I used to think that way too but now I would have to disagree. I played a pretty big WotR tournament last weekend (26 players) and majority of the play was simple with no rules problems. There were ofcourse some, but good refereeing was all that was needed to fix those (and no arguing against what the ref said, regardless whether you think he was right or wrong) (there's a link to the report in case anyone's interested).

There is nothing stopping a tournament organiser in putting limits on broken rules either. At the above mentioned event we had magic level limit of 7, even though it was pretty big 1500pts. Also a lot of epic hero combinations were cut (like Durburz + Gothmog for double Overlord). As long as you know the organisers are reasonable people, playing WotR competitively is not a problem at all.

Also it's up to the players to play in a relaxed environment, there shouldn't be any rules problems or 'broken combos' when you're playing with friends, unless they're doing something very wrong.

As for my personal opinion on magic - Shamans are a waste of points, Ringwraiths are slightly overpowered (really only Wings of Terror is annoying, all the rest is reasonable), but they die in duels a lot of the time (Epic Strike doesn't really help if you have one too and call a duel, hence already being at 11 vs 10 advantage + extra might). Saruman, Galadriel, Gandalf - these don't even have epic strike so unless they somehow manage to run, they will be getting killed a lot of the time and with them the rest of the formations via duels.

Another thing - there are scenarios in WotR too and these can't be won by having one massive combo...

Yet I still do love SBG and it's been my main game for years, I believe WotR has potential to be amazing. The same mistake is made by all those Fantasy and 40k players who play one game of LotR and then all their life scream 'game of 6s', 'no skill', etc... it looks like the LotR community is doing exactly the same thing towards WotR even though most people have hardly any experience with it, they will still say it's a bad game in the exactly same manner as the fantasy vs LotR.

I agree it is a game where you have a lot of very effective combos, but there's nothing that can't be beaten on regular basis.

Lastly, in my opinion you can't possibly compare LotR to WotR because they are two completely different ways of playing the game, only sharing the same world. It's like saying football is better than rugby, even though they're both a sport, they are too different to compare reasonably.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:33 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

General Elessar wrote:
I play both, and I don't have a preference over either one. SBG is great for small games and is (in my opinion) more tactical. WotR works well with large battles, something that SBG never managed.

I totally agree!
I was going to write the same thing...but im lazy hehe :P
CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:27 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've only played WOTR a few times, and whilst we deliberately avoided magic and mega-heroes I didn't really enjoy it.

For me LOTR is about the struggle of individuals, and in SBG (and other skirmish games) you get lots of stories played out in a game (be it that single orc that won't die, or the WOMT that goes on a killing rampage etc etc)

Even in really big games you still get that story feeling (Typhoon2 and I have played several very large sbg games, up to 6000 points a side). These may take longer than WOTR, but they felt more engaging, and if you have decent company then a long game is great fun.

I'm aware that I haven't given WOTR much of a chance and have probably missed on some of it's subtleties, but I don't feel the need for another rule set for large games, and the amount of confusion regarding the rules does not do much to tempt me to try it again.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:38 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

hithero wrote:
...since when was Middle-earth inhabited by all these battle-winning spell casters!

Since the Valar sent 5 maiar emissaries of valinor to middle earth.

I seem to recall pther epic personages as well. Gems of great power made by faenor that caused a huge ruckus. Spiderdemons who could devour everything, including herself. Armies of balrogs where a certain defiant elf was able to slay many singlehandedly.

etc. etc. etc.

Middle earth is an epic. WotR relates to this proportion.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Don't forget the Human who kills 70 trolls in one battle(and defied the original Dark Lord to his face), his son who kills a Dragon and is doomed to kill said Dark Lord at the final battle, the Elf who scares off the next Dark Lord's most deadly servants... [/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hellfury wrote:
hithero wrote:
...since when was Middle-earth inhabited by all these battle-winning spell casters!

I seem to recall pther epic personages as well. Gems of great power made by faenor that caused a huge ruckus. Spiderdemons who could devour everything, including herself. Armies of balrogs where a certain defiant elf was able to slay many singlehandedly.

etc. etc. etc.

But they are not in the rules and the rules don't go back to that era so is irrelevent.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

hithero wrote:
Hellfury wrote:
hithero wrote:

etc. etc. etc.

But they are not in the rules and the rules don't go back to that era so is irrelevent.

That's not completely fair to say they're not applicable.

I don't have my books with me here at work, but in the appendix describing the final victory of Lothlorien over Dol Guldur it sounds like Galadriel threw down a host of foes almost single-handidly, and then tore open the evil fortress itself (paraphrasing here obviously). Elrond is forever described as a great force himself who, if ever pressed to battle, I would wager would be as Epic as anything WotR presents and Glorfindel is talked up as a great Elf lord. The Nazgul were beings of such power that all Minas Tirith would tremble on their passage even though they were facing an entire army of Mordor at their doorsteps. And the Wizards, though rarely casting open magic, were considered among the greatest powers in Middle Earth. I doubt Gandalf got his reputation just from his fireworks.

Though we may (often and rightly so!) question some of GW's design decisions, and I can easily believe that some of those decisions regarding WotR were tainted by some of their other game systems, I think it's a mistake to say that just because Tolkien didn't describe it directly in the scope of the four main books that it didn't happen. JRRT has a lot of "epic" and magical scenes take place off the main page in the form of retelling, hints, allusions or apendicies notes.

Yes, some of the magic in WotR is more "in your face" than we have read in the books but most of it, even the powerful spells, are still within the flavor of the stories. Many deal with supporting or disrupting Formations of troops in indirect ways, not blasting away with Fire Balls or Lightning Bolts all willy nilly.

I think the main place WotR falls down in this respect to allowing too many spell casters in many cases, but again it's not all too bad if not taken purely at face value but rather what it brings to the game. For example, the Elvish Stormcaller: Elf bows in WotR lack some punch over other races with Long Bows, but the presence of a Stormcaller (at the expense of two potential Companies) gives access to a little magic that can help enforce their shooting power or else a spell that can enforce the overal combat effectiveness of an Elvish formation. Magic in Middle Earth was always more restricted than most lower fantasy worlds and so for a pure interpretation of the rules vs. Middle Earth the likelihood of so many nameless, low-level spell castsers is counter-Tolkien. But keeping them more in the mind as a tool for enhancing a Formation may soften the blow a bit.

Except for the introduction of too many "nameless" spell casters, I think the problem may come as much from how players setup their lists, looking for killer combos and loop holes, than from the design itself. If someone builds a list that's packed with magic then they care little for Tolkien's themes themselves. Just because you CAN pull in four or five spell casters doesn't mean you need to. Just as in SBG people abused the Grey Company, Spider Queens and others that I'm just not thinking of right now, in WotR you can abuse lists if you want. But no one is forcing you to. A player makes the decision on their own to do so. If you can reasonably justify from some of Tolkien's own work that something did or may have happened then that's one thing but to together a power list just because you can and then have no basis for it even being close to possible is just not something any real fan would enjoy playing against very much.

Finally, WotR is in its first evolution. Look at the difference between SBG with the OR book and SBG from the Fellowship and even RotK books. When WotR 2.0 rolls out we can hope it will be a more smooth and playable system, but for now I think it can do what it's trying to do.

Well, that went on longer than I expected. Hope it's still partly coherent. In a nutshell for me: SBG is better system for playing out most of what you may love from Tolkien's work, and I really like the individual-model scale and feel. But WotR is a decent system for large Formation-based play as long as the players are all Middle Earth fans and try to build lists and play them in a way that is consistent with the world rather than looking for every option in the under-developed rule set.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

hithero wrote:
Hellfury wrote:
hithero wrote:

etc. etc. etc.

Glorfindel is the particular elf in question who single handedly slew many balrogs. Died in battle with one and was granted to be set forth from the halls of mandos. No other creature has been afforded such an honor. His rules are in the book, though for such a powerful character he certainly has trouble matching others such as gil galad for example.

Galadriel is another who made the trip to middle earth wth her cousin faenor, with the sole purpose to rule.

Elrond. Balrogs (notice how its merely a rare choice and not a legendary formation? What does that tell you? Multiples are possible and multiple balrogs have not been seen since Beleriand was young). Nazgul. Isildur. on and on and on. Its pretty apparent that they intend for these rules to cover a wide variety of eras.

So yes, it is obviously relevant.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hellfury wrote:
Glorfindel is the particular elf in question who single handedly slew many balrogs... though for such a powerful character he certainly has trouble matching others such as gil galad for example.

Galadriel is another who made the trip to middle earth wth her cousin faenor, with the sole purpose to rule.

Elrond. Balrogs (notice how its merely a rare choice and not a legendary formation? What does that tell you? Multiples are possible and multiple balrogs have not been seen since Beleriand was young)

Sigh. I'd like to see Glorfindel a bit more powerful in line with the backstory and the Balrog AND dragon moved to Legendary as multiples are just too abusive. But the latter can be dealt with thru gentlemens' agreements.

For the record, I much prefer WotR - even with its (manageable) flaws. I'm sure SBG good. I just prefer mass battles to skirmishes. I'm a huge nut for the Tolkein background but I can overlook most of the criticisms offered in this thread in order to have a dynamic game. We don't use much magic.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hellfury wrote:
Glorfindel is the particular elf in question who single handedly slew many balrogs. Died in battle with one and was granted to be set forth from the halls of mandos. No other creature has been afforded such an honor.

I'm pretty sure that's not a fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

General Elessar wrote:
Hellfury wrote:
Glorfindel is the particular elf in question who single handedly slew many balrogs. Died in battle with one and was granted to be set forth from the halls of mandos. No other creature has been afforded such an honor.

It is according to the books I have read.

But you don't have to take my word for it. This took me less than 20 seconds to find on google.
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Glorfindel
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Glorfindel_of_Rivendell
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hellfury wrote:
General Elessar wrote:
Hellfury wrote:

It is according to the books I have read.

But you don't have to take my word for it. This took me less than 20 seconds to find on google.
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Glorfindel
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Glorfindel_of_Rivendell

I was saying what it says about Glorfindel in the Complete Guide to Middle Earth. It seems that it's wrong though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:19 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Beowulf03809 wrote:
I don't have my books with me here at work, but in the appendix describing the final victory of Lothlorien over Dol Guldur it sounds like Galadriel threw down a host of foes almost single-handidly, and then tore open the evil fortress itself (paraphrasing here obviously).

I think this is poetic license, kind of along the lines of "Napoleon conquered Europe"...that and his army :) Not to say she wasn't powerful, but Tolkien had a way of expressing these things that can't be taken too literally, IMHO.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Exactly, throughout all history its the leaders that that managed to conquor the known world on his own, nothing to do with the unnamed legions that followed him.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I've only played SBG and I love it. :D As has already been mentioned, big games are possible with SBG too. I like the detail of the game and think of it as a battle fought in slow motion.

With lots of large armies, I look forward to many more long, long, long SBG games.

If an improved wotr is released without the rules problems I hear others moan about, then I might be tempted to try it. The trouble is that, because I love SBG so much, I don't have much incentive. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SBG only for me, I like the smaller scale battles and would even welcome Battle Companies becoming an official game by GW. I have no use for WotR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like both, as BilboOfTheWhiteTower I also like the smaller scale battles & I think they are more fun, but I'm slowly sneeking into the WOTR because together they look great when you have an army all painted together... but all in all, they're both good!