All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:27 pm

Post subject: Citadel Guards vs. Guards of the Fountain Court
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Okay i'm looking for an elite unit to hold my center during larger games, currently i'm only have the Grey Company hold it but them being only D5 a hard hitting force can put a dent in them pretty quickly.

So i wanted to open up a thread where a pros and cons of each of Gondor's elite infantry can be examined by the community. The first thing i noticed was Citadel Guards have Bows, making them more versatile in such a quickly changing game, however GotFC have a higher Defense making them more durable and likely to hang around for awhile.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I assume you're already fielding Osgiliath Veterans??

If not, use them. Shooting AND D7 with shields. Plus immune to Terror as long as Cirion is around.

If they're already in your line, it's a toss up. Longbows are nice if you play on a big table, but if they're in your main battle group, it's going to get stuck into combat so do you want to be extra paying points for two combat units to have bows?

Have you considered Wardens of the Keys? D8! But hella expensive.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I havent even seen the models for them yet. Osgilioth Vets aren't the most fluffy with my army either.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

thelordcal wrote:
Osgilioth Vets aren't the most fluffy with my army either.

Nice to see that's a consideration and not just the stat line. 8)

Not sure which models you "haven't seen". I'll assume Wardens of the Keys. There are no models for these and I assume they are simply elite Guards of the Fountain Court or elite Citadel Guards. Probably the latter. So you would use those models depending on your interpretation.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Do the Guards of the Citadel not need to pay for the bows? They are the same cost because the Guards of the Citadel have a higher strength and the Fountain Guards have a higher defence. That's from memory.

Ultimately, are you playing defencively or aggressively? Guards of the Citadel are best for aggression (you can give them bows to whither the enemy if you wish) and will punch harder, whereas Fountain Guards are harder to shift and more themed to a desperate defence at the last tier of Minas Tirith...
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

fountain guard look cooler, and (as has already been said) have a higher defence, which IMO is enough to boot citadel guard into second place. 6s to wound (from most enemies anyway...) is a real bonus compared to 5s.

however, personally i would leave out both and get guards of the galadhrim court. this idea is definitly nothing to do with me collecting elves. at all.