All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:29 pm

Post subject: Spell Caster For The Elves
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:26 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey Guys
Looking for a spell caster for my elven army, at the moment i was thinking to to put either Galadriel in a formation, or get a box of wood elves and create Gildors household? Im unsure which one to choose...but if anyone has any other ideas they would be much appriciated
Thanks a bunch
CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That's going to be hard. Those two are at such extreme ends of power and use. Gildor is probably 30% - 40% useful as a spell caster, while his role as a combat leader and part of a Legendary Formation with Ambush account for the other 60% - 70% of his usefullness. Galadriel on the other hand is probably 70% valued as a spell caster and 30% valued for her support Special Rules. And that's not even counting the point differences of course.

I'm going to guess you have a Lothlorien force? It would help to provide more details for people to give good suggestions. For example is it pure Lothlorien or do you also use other Elf or non-Elf forces? What point level are you usually playing and trying to get up to? Do you have any other Epic Heroes that would benefit from Galadriel's special rules? Info such as that all goes a long way to making suggestions more meaningful for your particular force.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Personally, I think that Gildor's Household is a must have formation. They Ambush (which means they will be in defended terrain, upping their defence by between 1 and 4), they have elven cloaks (ca only be shot at when within 12"), longbows (to dish out some pain from within their cover) and 2 Wilderness spells per turn (a good idea is to use Guide Arrows to up the shooty damage and Nature's Wrath to do some direct damage, unless opportunities arise for the other spells that make more sense).

Having said that, Galadriel is pretty cool, but she seems more fitting for larger size armies (from a fluff point of view) and, whilst powerful, just doesn't seem to have quite as much oomph as a unit does.

Overall, I would suggest both, but Gildor first. It's personal taste. In fact, which models do you like more?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
Personally, I think that Gildor's Household is a must have formation. They Ambush (which means they will be in defended terrain, upping their defence by between 1 and 4), they have elven cloaks (ca only be shot at when within 12"), longbows (to dish out some pain from within their cover) and 2 Wilderness spells per turn (a good idea is to use Guide Arrows to up the shooty damage and Nature's Wrath to do some direct damage, unless opportunities arise for the other spells that make more sense).

Having said that, Galadriel is pretty cool, but she seems more fitting for larger size armies (from a fluff point of view) and, whilst powerful, just doesn't seem to have quite as much oomph as a unit does.

Overall, I would suggest both, but Gildor first. It's personal taste. In fact, which models do you like more?

I donno, put Galadriel in a good combat formation, cast light of the valar and sunder spirit and enfeeble and you can watch your said formation reduce the opponent to a pulp. They will likely fail there courage test against your charge and so fight at F0, and enfeeble will reduce their strength as well.

To top it all off she can call a free epic action to either improve her focus rolls (with a re-roll) OR she can call an epic defence and boost your elves defence and therefore make them even more likely to sweep through your opponent.

Additionally she can support your other epic heroes with ease. She is a very very useful epic hero and at games of 1,500 or more I never leave home without her.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:19 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Beowulf03809 wrote:
I'm going to guess you have a Lothlorien force? It would help to provide more details for people to give good suggestions. For example is it pure Lothlorien or do you also use other Elf or non-Elf forces? What point level are you usually playing and trying to get up to? Do you have any other Epic Heroes that would benefit from Galadriel's special rules? Info such as that all goes a long way to making suggestions more meaningful for your particular force.

Well at the moment i use

Legolas
Rumil(which i include in a pike formation)
TreeBeard(Monster)
3 trays worth of Galadrim Warriors(8 Glaves, 8 Spears, 8 Bows)
3 trays of Galadhrim Knights(1 Banner,3 Glaves, 2 Bows)
3 trays of Grey Company(Allied)

Its based around Lorien, but other elven units are still fine :)
I hope to build it up to around a 2000-2500pt army
Thanks
CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:00 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Brutoni: You've pointed out something that I always overlook and forget (my book is currently 350 miles away, lol), which is her ability to use a free Epic Action ebery turn, particularly when she has that re-roll one to use combinations such as your suggestion. I'd like to make it knownt hat I wasn't saying she is weak in any sense of the word, but that I think Gildor's Household is a must have unit, regardless of army size as well, lol :D

CJ Morgan: Do you mean Rumil in the Guards of Caras Galadhon? Also, I thought you meant that you had 3 trays of Blades and 2 trays of Bows for the knights, lol. I presume you meant models ;)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
CJ Morgan: Do you mean Rumil in the Guards of Caras Galadhon? Also, I thought you meant that you had 3 trays of Blades and 2 trays of Bows for the knights, lol. I presume you meant models ;)

Yes i do :-D , i use that formation as a cavalry buster. It just always seems to work :P
And yes i meant models lol 8)
CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:35 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm awfully fond of using Galadriel in my Elven force. Aside from her role as a spellcaster, combining Touched by Destiny and Epic Renewal is really hepful at keeping those heroic and Epic actions coming and keeping your army mobile with ATD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:12 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

GodlessM wrote:
I'm awfully fond of using Galadriel in my Elven force. Aside from her role as a spellcaster, combining Touched by Destiny and Epic Renewal is really hepful at keeping those heroic and Epic actions coming and keeping your army mobile with ATD.

Yep, she is very useful really, and should you really really need to move might around then she easily move 2 points a turn and up to 3 or 4 on a lucky dice roll.

I personally think she is useful for her Epic Defence, Her support abilities AND her magical abilities. Overall she makes a pretty mean epic hero choice and no one should leave home without her.