All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 1:27 pm

Post subject: heroes special rules affects on units.
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Do heroes pass on special rules. eg Queen Beruthiel has spirit grasp and so do the Nazgul. does that mean their company hits courage instead of defense.

Lurtz has pathfinder(all) does this mean he passes the special rule onto his unit.
as it doesn't say master, and no other unit in the army list has it.

Post subject: Re: heroes special rules affects on units.
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Rikin wrote:
Do heroes pass on special rules. eg Queen Beruthiel has spirit grasp and so do the Nazgul. does that mean their company hits courage instead of defense.

Lurtz has pathfinder(all) does this mean he passes the special rule onto his unit.
as it doesn't say master, and no other unit in the army list has it.

Read page 69.

The only rule I am aware of that does pass on to the formation is Terror and only due to the wording of the rule which makes it the exception. The FAQ clarifies this.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Beaten to the punch again, but as said, the rules specify that no special rules transfer to the units. Terror is an exception as it mentions the creature, not formation and was also confirmed to be true in the recently released FAQ.

However, there is a possibility that Epic Heroes' special rules may be useful in future expansions.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:41 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

On a slightly related note, what about heroes transferring their abilities to their formation and affecting other heroes.

The issue that came up is would Kamul's ability allow heroes to negate hits on a roll of a 5 or 6, for example from duels or black dart.

While extremely overpowered I think it does but im not sure. Everything else works so that when it affect the formation it also effects any heroes.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

BigT wrote:
On a slightly related note, what about heroes transferring their abilities to their formation and affecting other heroes.

The issue that came up is would Kamul's ability allow heroes to negate hits on a roll of a 5 or 6, for example from duels or black dart.

I guess it would have to be interpreted on a case by case basis.

In the case of Khamul, I doubt his special rule transfers to another epic hero. Essence leach affects a formation while black dart and duels affect a hero.

Its up for interpretation though.

Best way to deal with it is to use the interpretation that offers the least amount of advantage. Its a fail safe way of keeping the game flowing not only smoothly but friendly as well.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Let me get this straight; the Nazgul have Spirit Grasp but it has no effect whatsoever? That's stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

General Elessar wrote:
Let me get this straight; the Nazgul have Spirit Grasp but it has no effect whatsoever? That's stupid.

Yo mama is stupid. :-D Just kidding Ellessar.

It doesnt make much sense and while the excuse for their inclusion is for possible future forward compatibility, it makes little sense to throw them in the game and expect people to not think the rules do something. Anything. 90% of the time they are there "for completions sake". :roll:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

But most units that have spirit grasp have we stand alone also, so your paying the price for something you can't really use. like if queen beruthiel could allow her company spirit grasp she may actually be worth taking.

back to my earlier question whats the deal with lurtz and pathfinder all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:28 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

BigT: I'd have to re-read the rules, but I'm pretty sure it says any hits on "the formation" may be negated on a 5+. If it does, then black darts and duels will ignore this (apart from normal troops being killed by the duel. So, the hero's wounds wouldn't get the 5+ save, but the troops killed by it would).

General Elessar: It does seem ridiculous to include RULES that have no effect for "completeness", but it saves a lot of work when expansions come out meaning the rules do have SOME effects and it is likely also left in from when the rules may have had an effect originally.

Rikin: Not sure what your first point is... If the FORMATION has Spirit Grasp, then they attack Courage. We Stand Alone simply means a character can't join them.

As to your other question, I'd already answered it: it has no effect. The only effects characters confer (other than things like Mighty Blow and Essence Leech) are Terror, their Fight value for the company that they're in and they're Courage value.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:46 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

My first point was clarifying whether there was an effect with things such a spirit grasp if the hero had it but the company didn't. i know what we stand alone does and spirit grasp, :-D.

I am speaking on behalf of a large group of gamers in Galway and these are just questions that were brought to my attention, i am just asking for a consult thats all. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If the Hero has it and the company doesn't, it has no effect. If the company has it and the Hero doesn't, the hero benefits from it ;) Sorry :D Mind's a bit frazzled of late, lol :D