All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:25 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

General Elessar wrote:
Hirumith, the Grey Knight wrote:
So for dwarves and manueverability, I'd think give them a 1 (even though they're not actually quite as bad as Hobbits, the slow movement combined with no cavalry makes them basically tied for worst). I would save 2's for an army like corsairs, Numenoreans, or high elves who, although moving at normal speed, have no cavalry options and therefore are outmanuevered by 'average' armies.

The Outmaneuver is, in my opinion, the trickiest. What's the average? An army with a 6in move and no cavalry? Or with cavalry?

Me too. :? Rohan is given 5 in outmaneuvere but they just have cavalry like Gondor, they get it for one point less. Big deal. I would say an average would be a force with decent points cost and no cavalry. But Galdhrim would also get a 3 even though they have cavalry but the expensive troops cancel it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:57 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I agree, manueverability is by far the trickiest. The problem is, almost all armies have cavalry of some sort, so "average" manueverability should include that. But then from there, who really deserves a 5? Rohan has many cavalry options, and thematically they are a nation that relies heavily on horses which is why they're percieved as having high manueverability, but you're right that they're not that much better than anyone else as far as actual gameplay goes. Harad seems like another high mobility choice because of cheap cavalry as well as the mumak, but again maybe not so much better that they deserve a 5. On the other hand, these do seem like the best armies for manueverability, so from that angle they should get a 5.

Offhand, an army of Mauhur's scouts with wart riders thrown in for support seems like they'd be the only other likely candidate for a 5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What about Dol Guldur getting a high (if not the highest) masnueverability score. Wargs, Bats and Spiders would be tough even for Harad to keep up with.

And, Agincourt777, why give Galadrim a 2 in numbers? What army are they going to be able to, with any amount of consistancy, outnumber?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:39 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

How about this Outmaneuver?

1 - Armies with less than 5in move
2 - Armies with 5in move
3 - Armies with 6in move but no cavalry
4 - Armies with 6in move and one type of cavalry
5 - Armies with 6in move and more than one type of cavalry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:51 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

As I said already about DolGuldur, but now with some changes

out-class:3
out-shoot: 1
out-number:4
out-maneuver-5 (Dol Guldurs greatest advantage: Speed)

Out-Maneuver, this should take into accout, the movement of troops, Drummers, cavalry models (how cheap and how often fielded) and also how good the cavalry models (or a models moving similar to a cavalry models) are.... on it own, for an example Rohan has cheaper horses and some elites but SKODA and Morgul Knights best them any time...

Still i think that giant Spiders make the best "cavalry" models in the game, cause they have always 2 attacks no matter what, and have great strength... and for my knowledge there is no troop type with strength 4 that are able to carry a lance...(this would be better than strength 5)

Also Mahud Camels and Morgul Knights are very Devastating :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:22 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Mouth-of-Sauron wrote:
and for my knowledge there is no troop type with strength 4 that are able to carry a lance...(this would be better than strength 5)

Mahud camels have S4 and get a war spear...
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:38 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog wrote:
Mouth-of-Sauron wrote:
and for my knowledge there is no troop type with strength 4 that are able to carry a lance...(this would be better than strength 5)

Mahud camels have S4 and get a war spear...

Yes, and Mahud camels also get 2 attacks+ and a free strength 4 hit on the charge and they get knock to the ground. Sure a spider has 2 wounds but only D3, against most archers, only a 5+ would be needed to wound but on Mahud (D5) most archers will need 6 which is twice as hard to roll so it being twice as hard to wound and having 2 wounds cancel each-other out so IMO I think Mahud are better (can't remember how many points they are, though).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
And, Agincourt777, why give Galadrim a 2 in numbers? What army are they going to be able to, with any amount of consistancy, outnumber?

they are cheaper than high elves and could quite easily manage similar numbers to an all-monsters army, or even uruk hai.

take into account that they have wood elf warriors and galadhrim warriors who, although definitely not cheap, aren't massively expensive. there are plenty of more pricey evil troops, particularly new releases who have to be given some kind of super-stat to get sold, such as black guard or mahud.

i see you're point though, they should probably be 1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hmm well in that case Mahud are better as a cavalry model (sorry, I´m not so familiar with harad) but they only have 1 wound, so they are somehwat easily stoppable... (although it always depends)

AND i have to repeat myself over an over and over again: "Only a very stupid general would position his spiders so that they could get shot."

Mahud are cheaper how ever, those 3-5 pts, are not such a big issue for me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well I guess we should split Harad up into sections (Serpent Horde/Harad, Corsairs, and Mahud)

Mahud:

Outfight: 5 (Every Warriors has 2 attacks and an impressive staline)
Outshoot: 2 (Blowpipes have short range and low power)
Outnumber: 2 (Expensive troops and heroes)
Outmanouvre: 4 (Using General Ellesar's guide they have 6 inches movement and 1 type of cavalry)
Outlast: 3(/2?) (This is kind of tricky, if you are using a Maud King you have 4 Courage with 4 points to alter Courage tests with so even if you roll snake eyes you are safe for a turn with a doubled range, but Tribesmasters and standard warrios have the worst courage in the game.)

OERP
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Mor-galad of Greenwood wrote:
What about Dol Guldur getting a high (if not the highest) masnueverability score. Wargs, Bats and Spiders would be tough even for Harad to keep up with.

Good call! Dol Guldur would make an excellent candidate for 5 outmanuever.

On rating Outmanuever, the problem is that most armies have 1 or 2 cavalry options, and by the proposed rating sytem the majority of armies would be ranking 4 or 5. Additionally, how many types of cavalry isn't really important, what counts is how much cavalry the army typically contains (and how fast that cavalry is). That's why I rank Rohan so high - when you think of a Rohirrim army you generally think of lots of cavalry and powerful mounted heroes. The collectibility of any cavalry models is important - you don't typically think of Easterlings as a high-manueverability force just because metal cavalry are so pricey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Mor-galad of Greenwood wrote:

Good call! Dol Guldur would make an excellent candidate for 5 outmanuever.

On rating Outmanuever, the problem is that most armies have 1 or 2 cavalry options, and by the proposed rating sytem the majority of armies would be ranking 4 or 5. Additionally, how many types of cavalry isn't really important, what counts is how much cavalry the army typically contains (and how fast that cavalry is). That's why I rank Rohan so high - when you think of a Rohirrim army you generally think of lots of cavalry and powerful mounted heroes. The collectibility of any cavalry models is important - you don't typically think of Easterlings as a high-manueverability force just because metal cavalry are so pricey.

I don't think Easterlings would have high outmaneuver anyway. The way I see outmaneuver is how the force is played as well as their cavalry. E.G

Easterlings:

Outfight:4 (very formidable dragon-knights and pikes)
Outshoot:3
Outnumber:3
Outmaneuvere:2
Outlast:4

I gave them 2 in outmaneuvere not because they have a slow move-rate or no cavalry, but because the way they are played, in big, scary, but very immobile blocks of pikes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You bring up another excellent point, and one that's much harder to quantify. The standard playstyle of a force is key to it's manueverability, though. And I would agree with you - Easterlings are a low mobility force as a result of their standard playstyle, not just because their cavalry are expensive. I do think that you might see fewer pike blocks and more cavalry, however, if there were plastic Kataphrakts (maybe bumping them from a 2 to a 3).

And of course, the rating system is just to give a general picture of the army, but as with almost any tabletop game you can still build a niche force with most lists (OK, so building an elite goblin army wouldn't be so easy, but the point being a player could make an elite infantry force of all Rohan Royal Guard on foot if he wanted to, it's just not the normal way of doing things).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You bring up another excellent point, and one that's much harder to quantify. The standard playstyle of a force is key to it's manueverability, though. And I would agree with you - Easterlings are a low mobility force as a result of their standard playstyle, not just because their cavalry are expensive. I do think that you might see fewer pike blocks and more cavalry, however, if there were plastic Kataphrakts (maybe bumping them from a 2 to a 3).

And of course, the rating system is just to give a general picture of the army, but as with almost any tabletop game you can still build a niche force with most lists (OK, so building an elite goblin army wouldn't be so easy, but the point being a player could make an elite infantry force of all Rohan Royal Guard on foot if he wanted to, it's just not the normal way of doing things).

That makes rating Outmaneuver almost impossible, as it basically depends on your opinion.

Fellowship of the Ring:
Outfight - 5
Outshoot - 2
Outmanuever - 3
Outnumber - 1
Outlast - 5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

General Elessar wrote:
That makes rating Outmaneuver almost impossible, as it basically depends on your opinion.

Unfortunately, yeah. It's a blend of subjective judgement and too many variables, and most armies aren't consistent enought to deserve just one rating in the manueverability department. But hey, it's also an important category, so it seems that you would still want to include it, somehow or another.

For the Fellowship, I'm tempted to bump them up to at least a 3, maybe a 4, for shooting since Legolas is killer good, Aragorn is average, Gimli has throwing axes and Gandalf's sorcerous blasts can be quite useful as well. The thing that really hurts them here is just numbers. Everything else looks spot-on to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think all these stats should be measured by a standard army of the race/civilization. E.G Rohan could have outfight 5 if they only took Sons of Eorl but no player would be expected to do so. As this is going to be a sticky, we might as well make some small army lists. This won't be able to cover everything in the army (like every Rohan army probably won't have Sons of Eorl) but these could be added in bracets next to the normal. Here for example.

Rohan (can't be bothered to count up the points now)

Captain with shield on horse
20 warriors, 8 shields, 8 shield and throwing spears, and 4 with bow
8 riders, 4 with throwing spears
5 rohan royal guard on horses, 2 with throwing spears

And stats:
Outfight:3 (pretty average everywhere but IDK if outfight should include cavalry)
Outshoot:4 (all riders have bows so a lot of shooting generally)
Outnumber:3
Outmaneuvere:5 (you can expect to find a lot of cavalry in a Rohan army)
Outlast:3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

General Elessar wrote:

For the Fellowship, I'm tempted to bump them up to at least a 3, maybe a 4, for shooting since Legolas is killer good, Aragorn is average, Gimli has throwing axes and Gandalf's sorcerous blasts can be quite useful as well.

And Blinding Light as well. Yeah, it probably should be 3 or 4.

spuds4ever, is this going to be turned into a sticky? Who said so?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

General Elessar wrote:

And Blinding Light as well. Yeah, it probably should be 3 or 4.

spuds4ever, is this going to be turned into a sticky? Who said so?

Me. :) I suggested it but i didn't say it will be.

Highlordell wrote:
Maybe we could make one of these 'Statistic lists' for each army available; then we could put them all in once place (perhaps a Sticky in the 'Beginners' forum) and it would help new players choose their army based on their play style and which attributes they prefer.

One of us will have to PM Dagorlad and we should make sure we have a good idea of what it should include before we do anything final. Although I like spuds4ever's thought on making a 'Average Army List' on each faction, but we have to be careful or else this might turn into a discussion about what should be in those lists.

OERP
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Shall I ask Dagorlad if he would be willing to make a Sticky for this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sounds like a plan...but rememeber there is still alot of work to be done on making all these lists.

OERP
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next