All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:19 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you for your advice haldir. I've worked on getting a bit more contrast on the faces of these two. These two were very fun to paint, I had some concerns about the color scheme but thanks to the Lord they have turned out quite nicely.
I've also been working on some terrain. I'm trying to make some trees using sponges like bizarrewarstar did. The bases look very bare at this moment but I'm adding some grass and bushes to it which should brighten them up a bit. The tree still needs a lot of work but hopefully they will turn out well.
Please leave feedback, I'm very interested in hearing what you fellows have to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The highlighting on the cloaks is really nice, good job.
I find it interesteing that you coloured the sponge before you shaped it, I shaped it first, then coloured it. :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The cloaks look amazing! :yay: The faces look really good as well.
Can't wait to see more!

-PoW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:13 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I like the way you painted the figures they look very nice.

I would like to offer some suggestions on the terrain.

It is a good size. The shape is very good. You did a good job blending the edge to the table. The ground work looks good. It looks like you mixed the paint and glue and over painted the sand. That is the strongest way you can make it.

To finish the ground work just dry brush it a little more and add grass to match your figures. I do not think you used too much grass on your bases. Don't go over board the terrain should complement the figures. Avoid poi dots real grass does not look like that.

The souring pads make good trees I have made hundreds if not thousands.The real twigs look good. I do not think they will last very long because they were already ready to break when they fell off the tree. Green wood will work much better. I see you used some.

You did not say if you were going to paint or flock the scoring pad.

If you paint it it will need to use a lot more glue and let it dry so that it will stand up to dry brushing.
If you decide to use flocking. It will be a little harder to keep it off the base because the trees are already attached. Try holding it up side down when you spay them with glue.

I use bamboo skewers. I impale the scoring pad bits on the skewer dip them in watered down glue and roll them in blended flocking. I hang them on close pins to dry. The skewers are a uniform size so I only need one drill bit to install them.
I hope this has been positive reinforcement. You have done every thing right. I think it will turn out well.
Good work :yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:46 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've finished up the two rangers. I tried a mixture of colours on the bases, the red is coloured saw dust and the green static grass.
Thank you Oldman Willow for all your advice. I'm using the yellow part of the sponges to make these trees, at least the one that was shown. I dipped it in paint after I shaped it and the paint wasn't dry yet, which is why one of the twigs is green. I've finished up the bases. I'm a beginner when it comes to terrain making so your comments and advice will be greatly appreciated.

@Oldman Willow-Thank you for all your advice, it's very helpful to have such an experienced terrain maker giving me advice. I never thought about the condition of the twigs but it will be something to keep in mind for future projects, though now I realize that I should have used skewers. I've been trying to figure out what to do with the scouring pads after I ripped them off the top of the sponges so your comments have been very helpful. Could you PM a few pictures of your trees just so I can have an idea of what you did. Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Post subject: pads
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I did not have a good photo so I shot this one to help illustrate. I posted this in my photo bucket tree album so you can veiw the album when you click the photo to enlarge it.

Quote:
I've been trying to figure out what to do with the scouring pads after I ripped them off the top of the sponges so your comments have been very helpful. Could you PM a few pictures of your trees just so I can have an idea of what you did.

I used a scrap of wood with different size holes drilled in it for a glue stand. Use a line and close pin when you do large numbers.
On the block:
a Lichen tree, two scouring pad trees, clump foliage then Woodland Scenic pine kit trees.
Back row:
a sponge tree dipped in flock, a unpainted sponge tree, a tree made from furnaces filters, and a few more pine kit trees.

The hedge rows were made with furnace filters. You have a lot of options on how to shape them. I made the hedge in the front row for a garden. Dennis Layson made the wilder country hedge row from the same filter pad as I used. On one of the trees he cut a strip and twisted it around the skewers on the other he tore the pad into parts and made the rounder tree. I made the pad and the sponge tree the same way.

I liked the colored saw dust very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:25 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you, those have really helped. I'll stick to sponge for this project but you've given me a lot of great ideas for future projects.
Here is the first of the two done. The next one may take a while.
Please leave C&C, thank you.

Post subject: Good job
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I think they turned out well. I am glad to help. :yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The trees have turned out very well for your first try. And nice work on the rangers too. 8)

What did you base your terrain pieces on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@King Elessar the Uniter-I based the trees on scraps of Styrofoam from older projects which was based on cardboard. Based on something I had read a while back I covered the bottom of the cardboard with PVA glue and then glued the terrain on top, bending the already bent cardboard into shape. It makes it a little hard to glue the pieces to the base but really helps to reduce the warping of the cardboard. I've noticed that you've been asking that question, what do you have planned? I hope that helps.

I've finished the next two rangers. I was really dreading painting the bald guys, I just didn't like the look of them, but it was actually quite fun to paint, in my opinion one the most detailed and realistic sculpt in the whole set, so I'm looking forwards to the next one.
That makes four for that colour scheme so I'll be moving on. I'm hoping to paint the next ones like Haldir_pl painted his haradrim.

Suggestions as well as comments and criticisms will be greatly appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:07 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm been a little busy again but I have made a start on the next rangers. Here's one of them. I still need to do a lot of work on him. I've been having quite a bit of trouble on him so any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Interesting color scheme. It looks good, but I don't really like the cloak. IMO, pink doesn't go with dwarves, or almost any other miniature. Other than that he looks great!

-PoW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:25 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you. I didn't notice how pink it looked. I've done my best to fix it and finished it off along with the other ranger. I used roughly the same colours for their cloaks so it would seam as if the difference is mainly due to the colour underneath, pink for the first one and black for the second.
Please leave feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The cloak looks much better! I think these two turned out pretty well. :yay:

-PoW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:04 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: On some battle field with 6,000 riders behind me yelling....DEATH!!!
Great job! Keep it up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've finished the next two. I'm really happy with the second one but the first one's face is still missing something. At this point I've decided to leave them as they are but any suggestions you guys make I'll keep in my mind and apply it to my future work.
Feel free to leave C&C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I like the colour scheme, very original. I also like the dark rings around the eyes of the second ranger from your last post (I don't know if it's the camera though! :)).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:50 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you for your comments gambit025 but I copied the colour scheme off of Haldir_PL's haradrim. The rings around the eyes were caused by the way I paint the faces, it's not the best but it does make them a little more detailed, I'm glad you like them.

It's not much of a work in progress but here's Drar. I tried to get achieve a dull and worn look on him, after all the two are travellers. I'm not really sure what to do with the plates on his armour as I don't want a dwarf wearing golden armour, after all their strength is a high defence and gold is a soft metal, so I just painted it like the other metallic but tried to make it a little brighter. On the base I tried a mix of rock of dirt, grey and brown, though I'm not sure it looks right.
Please leave feedback. Advice on how to make him and his companion look more worn and weary would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: I like the results so far.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I like the results so far. The base looks good. I really like the bit of red saw dust you added to some of the other rangers. May be you should do that with all of the bases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:47 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you for your comments, I have taken them into consideration. I've finished gotten to work on Murin. He was very fun to paint and I'm pretty much done, his sword needs a little more work and I'll probably work on toning down Drar's armour a bit. Please leave feedback.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next