All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:21 pm

Post subject: mordor army
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

hey everybody. i started a new mordor army and am wondering what to get next. my army is an alliance between minas morgul and the black gate. i have

48 orcs
23 morannon orcs
morannon orc captain
mordor troll, and mordor troll chieften
the dark marshal
orc captain and banner
warg rider box
5 morgul knights(1 banner, 1 horn)
black numenorean marshal mounted

what do you think i should get next. when i played i found i was lacking a hero that was powerful enough to take on boromir and has enough might will and fate to be a leader.

i was thinking of getting gothmog and a blister of trackers as well as either morgul stalkers or specters. what do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well for both SBG and WotR I'd tell you to take a mordor troll which packs a punch on heroes. Even if he doesnt take out Boromir like you fear he will at least weaken him a little. If you want a good hero I would go with Gothmog or the Shadow Lord. His special rule has saved me many orcs from bow fire and they whiped out the rangers that wanted to shoot at them.
How many points do you need to spend is the real question

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i have about $60 to spend. i really like gotmog and i already have 2 trolls. what do you think of trackers, stalker, and specters?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:05 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well for SBG Gothmog can be deadly with his master of battle special rule and I have had fun with the stalkers. They can get in close with their special rule that makes them count as having an elven cloak and their 2 attacks do som damage but their points value takes a toll.
The trackers have a better shot value than orcs do but they have lower defence so they usually get taken out pretty fast unless you have something else distracting your opponents bow fire.
Spectres...I have only used a few times and they seemed to do ok but again...their point value can eat up a lot out of your army. They are fun to paint though. I enjoyed painting them up and Gothmog is a real treat to paint as well.
If you do purchase the Spectres keep this in mind, you already have some models for an Angmar army and if you buy them then you can also have an Angmar force too.
If you need help with buildig your army let me know but I just need to know what kind of army you want such as one for seiges or taking over Osgiliath, etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

right now i am trying for a flexible 750 point force. i think specters would be really fun to paint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:15 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

With the Spectres I viewed it as there is no wrong way to paint them. I sprayed them black and gave them a heavy dry brush of scorched brown and then ued various greens to over brush them again and then panted them up in their normal color schemes as if they were alive and then used brown and black inks to dull them down and rust them up and slime them up in sense.
For a force that you want you can do what I just do, figure out who would be a good leader and then just throw in what looks kool to you 8)
So if you go with Spectres it will give you the start of a second force as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would go for Gothmog and maybe another wraith (khamul or the knight of umbar are ideal if you're having trouble with uber-heroes). Orc trackers might be an idea but I would probably just do conversions instead of paying £8 for 15 points-worth of average shots. Stalkers, though, is what I'd recommend and then perhaps also get some sceptres at the same time as they work well together. So in order of preferance (just my opinion, of course):

Gothmog
Another wraith
Stalkers
Black Numenoreans
Sceptres
Trackers
Another wraith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i will get gothmog. but i don't know about another wraith. i guess you could use specteres to pull eneimies away from thier formation and then slaughter them with the stalkers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

since you are going to have some expensive troops and heroes I would go ahead and get the Shadow Lord to protect them from bow fire and use the spectres when to lure the enemy way when you are closer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i like the shadow lords special rule but thats all he's good for. he has less will then most wraiths and the same fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That is true but he has saved me in tight situations in the past. Since Gothmog can be shot down easy and he seems to be an arrow magnet for me I figured it would help you out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hmm I would suggest Dwimmerlake as every use of M/W/F is goingto be quite costy for Boromir and I think that you opponent will think twice whether he will use any M/W/F...at all...

Thats how I managed to destroy Legolas, Thandruil and Rumil... even though my herose were Dwimmerlake, Spider Queen, TaskMaster and a Drummer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i never thought of using him with gothmog. thats a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

isengard owns wrote:
i will get gothmog. but i don't know about another wraith. i guess you could use specteres to pull eneimies away from thier formation and then slaughter them with the stalkers.

That's exactly what my plan was in one of my armies which I may have taken to school league but I decided it was too anti-hero focussed. That combo works even better with a nazgul in the mix and a few drain-courages and a compel. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i already have a nazgul so i could do that.

Post subject: Re: mordor army
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i was at games workshop yesterday and i picked up the orc shaman on warg. these are the three lists i was thinking of are

Barad-dur
Orc Captain shield

16 Orcs shield
16 Orcs spear
8 Orcs bow
8 Orcs 2-h weapon
12 Morannon Orcs shield, spear
12 Morannon Orcs shield
Mordor Troll

The Nazgul
The Dark Marshal

or

Barad-dur
Orc Shaman warg

16 Orcs shield
16 Orcs spear
8 Orcs bow
8 Orcs 2-h weapon
8 Morannon Orcs shield, spear
8 Morannon Orcs shield
6 Warg riders 2 bow, 1 throwing spear and shield, 1 shield, 2 hand weapon

Minas Morgul
Gothmog warg

3 Spectres

or

Barad-dur
Orc Shaman warg
Morannon Orc Captain shield
The Dark Marshal armoured horse

16 Orcs shield
16 Orcs spear
8 Orcs bow
8 Orcs 2-h weapon
8 Morannon Orcs shield, spear
8 Morannon Orcs shield
6 Warg Riders 1 shield, 1 shield and throwing spear, 2 bow, 2 hand weapon.

which one do you guys prefer?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

well buddy I would say all 3 of those are good. Gothmog would be good if you have to go up against someone who you know will call heroic moves left and right. The nazgul would be good for someone who uses magic as well heroes and the last list would be good all around as well. your armies have lots of bulk to them and are varried pretty nice. With Gothmog I'd give him a troll to help him pack a punch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Before the gates of another fortress, telling those maggots that they have to form ranks!
Glad to see you're army list has vchanged to a LoME legal one. But about your new ones:

A) I would change the orc bowmen for tracers (just add some details and tell everyone it's a tracker)
B) IMO giving Morannon orcs spears to support their friend with hand weapons is not the best thing, I would change it to orcs
C) The dark Marshal is a quite good choice

A) I would change the orc bowmen for tracers (just add some details and tell everyone it's a tracker)
B) IMO giving Morannon orcs spears to support their friend with hand weapons is not the best thing, I would change it to orcs

C) Longe live the shaman! If you could keep him between you're riders, their mounts will keep fighting when their riders are dead
D) I wouldn't give gothmog a warg if you place him between your orcs: he's a good shot for an archer then!
E) I never give my warg riders bows, their quick advantage is lost then (throwing spears are a better choice I think), if not, I would use orck trackers except of normal orcs.
F) I would use the points you have left then for stalkersor a cap on warg for some heroic actions

C) Longe live the shaman! If you could keep him between you're riders, their mounts will keep fighting when their riders are dead
E) I never give my warg riders bows, their quick advantage is lost

F) I would use the points you have left then for stalkers or a cap on warg for some heroic actions
And I'm not sure about the dark marshal ON HORSE, for the same reason as said with gothmog

With a few changes, I would go for nr 2

Last edited by Raggbur on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i am hoping to change my orc archers into trackers. i don't want trackers on wargs because of the low defense. i really like having morannon spearman behaind the swordsmen other wise as soon as the morannon dies i have a huge gaping hole in my line.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

@Raggbur, about the shaman, it will only affect the orc, not the warg I think. They all seem good but how many points are they (my brain is lazy today).