All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:22 am

Post subject: Wargames Factory Orcs
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:54 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Wargame Factory is taking preorders for the new plastic orcs.
I put together a sample sprue. There are 4 extra heads on every sprue. I thought you might like a look at a few conversions.
http://www.wargamesfactory.com/Home.htm

Post subject: Re: Wargames Factory Orcs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:11 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Excellent, looks like they fit in perfect with the LOTR orcs. This may be a silly question as you have them, but have they been shipped to customers yet or did you get them some other way?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:04 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
This may be a silly question as you have them, but have they been shipped to customers yet or did you get them some other way?

No, not a silly question at all. I was able to pick up a sample frame. I think they will ship with in 30 days.

These are Zulu bodies they fit the Saxon and Viking bodies as well. I have not spent much time with them. I picked them up 6pm Christmas eve. I had to work on them between Christmas parties and family things.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:52 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wargames factory is the best.

I plan on getting some of those orcs in the future. They are great quality and are cheap too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:06 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

samoht wrote:
Wargames factory is the best.

I wouldn't say that, they are OK. The early ranges are absaloutly aweful and current ranges still lack the definition and quality of other plastic manufacturers (compare WF WSS models with Victrix/Perry Napolionics - no comparisson) especially in the arms. Half are useless being all different scales, shapes and sizes (the Celts here), it is very difficult to get a decent realistic pose. However, you do get a ton of spare parts and these orcs do look the best so far - but I haven't got them yet.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:02 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
is very difficult to get a decent realistic pose

It does take some modeling work.
Quote:
the arms. Half are useless being all different scales, shapes and sizes (the Celts here)

By brother mentioned he had a issue with some of the Celts only going together one way. They are often difficult to rank up on square 20mm bases. I have Vikings and Zulus and use 25mm round bases so I had not noticed the Square 20mm problem.
I did not have a lot of orcs to work with because I only had the sample frame. The separate torso is interesting but I ran out of the most desirable arms quickly. I think they are a good value.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:19 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I am sorry to say I can no longer recommend this or any product from Wargames Factory. The Company has some problems and is no longer run by my friends or any one trust worthy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

There's been a sudden change of ownership at Wargames Factory?

Ah. I see now. Sad. http://theminiaturespage.com/news/787442/
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:41 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oldman Willow wrote:
I am sorry to say I can no longer recommend this or any product from Wargames Factory. The Company has some problems and is no longer run by my friends or any one trust worthy.

Oh. Thats no good.

Do you think its all gonna turn out fine?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:51 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:

I hope so but do not know. :? :x I am distressed over my friends problems and have no better information. :-X
If it does I will let you know.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:54 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oldman Willow wrote:
Quote:

I hope so but do not know. :? :x I am distressed over my friends problems and have no better information. :-X
If it does I will let you know.

Ok thanks. Hope all goes well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Let me first say that I am saddened by what I have read of this episode here and elsewhere. I agree with those who have found the complaints by the guy squeezed out of WF unedifying and, in parts, unwise. I can, however, completely understand his anger and frustration in the circumstances. First and foremost I am very sorry to see someone with a fine creative talent and such a benign vision having to go through this. I sincerely hope he finds a way back and can continue to do what he has made such a fine start at doing.

However, it never ceases to amaze me that so many people allow themselves to be screwed in this way. How can anyone sensibly handover a majority stake in a business to a stranger? Judging from Mr Reid's letter, he has not been forced out of his company; it wasn't his, he had already given it away. He is, from that point, completely at the mercy of others and, if they are either unsrupulous or merely incompetent, he can do very little about it.

There is potentially a further factor here. If I have understood the various reports correctly it seems that WF accepted outside investment and control from China. People should, by now, have realised that this sort of deal bears an inherent risk. While the US and others seek to impose western standards of commercial probity (e.g. Foreign and Corrupt Practices Act and UK Bribery Act) businesses are understandably keen to do business with and in emerging markets. The problem is that most emerging markets suffer from endemic corruption; it's often been the only way of getting anything done.

So, take a wealthy entrepreneur from an emerging market nation. I put it it forward as a general proposition that, in order to get where he's got in the sort of society in which he operates, he is almost bound to be, by western standards, in a word, DODGY.

In otherwords, what the Hell did you expect would happen?

I don't want any politically correct cr@p at this point; the US government introduced the FACPA because in certain foreign places corrupt acts are prevelant. I'm not making a judgment here or advocating the absurdly over-keen boy scout approach that the US, OECD et al take in these matters. I've just knocked around a bit and seen this many, many times. Everyone, sooner or later, gets screwed in Russia. Big corporates, like Danone, have been completely taken for a ride in China.

However, while standards in business ethics are relative, it is by no means clear that there is any cynical intent in this instance. You could quite easily interpret Mr Reid's letter as a matter of differing views as to the direction the business must take, lack of communication or understanding, differing expectations of performance. All this only goes to show how easy it is for these deals to break down and, therefore, why it is madness to give away control. Someone only needs to let you down with his incompentent best and then act to protect his commercial interests and you are screwed.

Most people in the hobby industry could no doubt have made more money doing or selling something else and I am generally happy with the idea that the passion for the thing is more important than the bottom line. I suspect this is behind a lot of the resentment that Games Workshop manages to foster; in this fan-based sector, people don't like you throwing your weight around like a big hard-nosed corporate. On the otherhand, here we might be seeing an example of trust to the point of niavety, of purity of vision unlaced with common sense.

I would feel a lot happier if I though that Mr Reid had a sensible plan and the right advice to extricate himself from this mess and set up again independently of his previous partner. For instance, can he walk with any of the intellectual property, or does that belong to a company, control of which he has apparently given away? Will he ensure he has adequate protection next time: a controlling stake, a shareholder agreement? These are basic things, for goodness sake.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:51 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

My major concern is that I recommended a product and I did not wish for some young person to loose their money based on my recommendation.
Who, what, when and why are probably best left to other forums. There is a lot of speculation about what will and did happen but it is best to stay clear as a consumer for now. It will not be wise to buy directly or preorder anything from Wargames Factory at this time.
It is my understanding the new owners have dismissed everyone and are moving the Shipping to Utah.The Target date to ship the out standing orders is March 31.

http://wargamesfactory.lefora.com/2011/ ... chapter-2/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:35 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Fair enough. I felt the need to express my frustration at this outcome, though this was not necessarily the best place. I wish I could help; I'd love to be able to support the hobby and I am sorry that such quality models may be lost to the market and a talented producer compromised in this way.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
wish I could help

Me too

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:48 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for posting the warning Oldman Willow, and thanks for your take on it Spodulike.

I've been following the saga since the news first broke, but I'm unsure exactly what to make of it all. There is certainly a lot of bitterness and anger on the part of the former owner of WGF, and I suspect a part of that would be his realisation of his own folly. The company isn't entering into any arguments in defence of their decisions, and that is understandable, so I very much doubt we'll ever hear the whole truth of the matter.

But the bottom line is that the creative talents behind WGF have departed and the company is left with a bad reputation that they'll have to work hard to overcome. I personally hope that the company recovers from this and continues to produce their model ranges, and also that the original team members can pull together something new and bright out from the ashes. If WGF go under and the old team fall away from the industry, then the hobby itself is the loser ultimately.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oldman Willow wrote:
My major concern is that I recommended a product and I did not wish for some young person to loose their money based on my recommendation.
Who, what, when and why are probably best left to other forums. There is a lot of speculation about what will and did happen but it is best to stay clear as a consumer for now. It will not be wise to buy directly or preorder anything from Wargames Factory at this time.
It is my understanding the new owners have dismissed everyone and are moving the Shipping to Utah.The Target date to ship the out standing orders is March 31.

http://wargamesfactory.lefora.com/2011/ ... chapter-2/

I was planning on getting into historical gaming sometime this year when I could afford it. I'm very disappointed now, because their Hammer of the Gods range looks FANTASTIC and I was looking forward to it. It'll be Gripping Beast for me then - at least they're more trustworthy than a Company owned by some dodgy Chinese businessman.

Corporate greed at its worst. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:14 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I quite like the Gripping Beast, and Warlord (Perry, Immortal etc etc), stuff but I hope Wargames Factory get their act sorted.

Having them there provided a lot of good options for plastic historicals and their forays into fantasy were promising as well. So even being able to rely on their existing ranges would be of real benefit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:50 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
So even being able to rely on their existing ranges would be of real benefit.

So even being able to rely on them is the problem. I wish there was something positive to say.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:47 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yeah. I count myself lucky to have got my Celts (wildmen!) late, in November. Many people online seem to be having trouble getting orders fulfilled.

Personally, I feel trust is crucial if I am buying online. That doesn't preclude getting some stuff from the LGS if I need a box, and they have it. I am actually eyeing up one of the boxes of Saxons sitting in-store atm, but I am scrounging around alternative heads to convert them a little.

So I guess it is a bit like the Black Tree situation. cool stuff, nice price, not sure that I will get my stuff if I hand over money.