All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:15 pm

Post subject: Does 'Spirit Legions' Battlehost make Angmar a viable army?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Angmar really seems to be getting no love. I can see why; limited selection of units, crappy rules that nurf themsleves (Chill Miasma), and very expensive points costs.

However, what of The Spirit Legions of Angmar Battlehost? It may seem a wee bit desperate to consider an army viable purely 'cos of a battehost, but it SEEMS awesome. So you have to take two ringwraiths (oh, how awful), along with a bunch of units you were surely going to take anyway. Then, for an extra 75 points (and this does depend on being within 12" of The Dwimmerlaik or Tainted), you get +1 Defence, +1 strength, and Chill Miasma NO LONGER AFFECTS YOUR OWN FORMATIONS, so anyone within 12" is Fight 2! That seems huge! When you include the three Ring wraiths you can take as part of Angmar, any enemy formation, no matter how legendary and mighty, can quite easily become completely enfeebled (Spectral hosts' sap strength) and rendered utterly incompetent in combat (shades chill Miasma) All you have to do is have your wraiths chuck courage reducing spells around left-right-and-centre, and even your lowly Angmar Orcs become like Gods of War compared to the spahgetti limbed, freaked out enemy as they flail around at S1, F2!
 Post subject: Re: Does 'Spirit Legions' Battlehost make Angmar a viable ar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:27 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I have not picked up the Battlehosts book, since I have yet to find any opponents since moving to Kentucky, however, this definitely sounds like a good boost for my Angmar army. I really need to pick up that book!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I respectfully disent form the 'accepted wisdom' that Angmar is not viable. :P

Also, check out this guy's blog: http://fearandloathingonthetabletop.blogspot.com/

My Carn Dum heavy format is not the only way to make Angmar work, and he has some good ideas on alternatives. His articles are pre-battlehost too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Xelee wrote:
...My Carn Dum heavy format is not the only way to make Angmar work...

It sure is a GREAT way to go with them, though. Much more effective, in my estimation, than trying to go all-ghost.

I used to be of the opinion that Angmar should have been a dedicated allies list, like Forgotten Kingdoms for the good side, but have since changed my tune. If only GW would come out with some awesome plastic Carn Dum!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Angmar isnt bad, its just a difficult list for a beginner to pick up since its so fiddly. Lots of combos required as well as lots of experience.

Its my first pick. That said, I think the battlehosts book does make Angmar a lot more viable.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:32 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Erunion, I just checked out your blog. In amidst all the RL troubles, did you get anywhere with the project to make Ghostly Riders out of Rohan figs? I had briefly considered the idea, before a mate took my spares off my hands. So I'd love to see pics, if possible.

My biggest issue with that Battlehost is that it seems to not be a 1000pt thing. At 1000pts, your army would be too vulnerable to having weaknesses targeted, IMO. Ghostly troops are expensive enough, without having your choices further constrained and having to pay the upgrade cost. I think this game balances a lot better RAW at around 2000pts and at that level the Battlehost will have friends.I'd love to do a larger Angmar force, with Ghostly Cavalry striking from behind thin but durable lines of orcs etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:05 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Actually, I did get them converted but they languish away in my backlog, unpainted at the moment. The only thing left to do is to convert a bannerman. I do need to update my blog with some pics or something.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies