All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:28 am

Post subject: WotR force?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:03 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I'm going to start a WotR 1000 point force and I want it to be of Rohan only. I want to include The Three Hunters in this, what selection of Rohan could i include? I'm totally new to WotR so i don't know how it really works, I've scanned through and know a little about formations and such but need a hand making a decent army. Please help

Post subject: Re: WotR force?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As a quick heads up, Rohan is going to be a harder force to play well. Cavalry in general is very potent on the attack but fragile on the defense. So it takes a lot of practice and understanding of the mechanics to get the feel for them. You can have a lot of fun with them but I wanted you to be forewarned so you don't get frustrated early with the game. That being said, the Rohan Royal Guard / Royal Knights are a solid Cavalry formation with a high Defense (but they are metal models so unless you proxy it will be expensive to have more than one Formation). Their infantry are cheap (both in cost and points) and you can have a lot of them to provide some significant support to your Cav forces. They have some good, affordable Heroes too though some will point to the lack of Epic Strike-based Heroes as a weakness (it really probably is only in power-gaming or tournaments).

The Three Hunters, like most Legendary Formations, is fun and thematic (and can let you have them for a cheaper cost in points) but is actually "weaker" than taking the three as separate Epic Heroes. Again, this shouldn't matter in some games but you may find after a couple games you just want to take them as normal Heroes.

Hope this doesn't sound like I'm trying to dissuade you from your plans. If it's an army you have a personal love for and put in the time to learn to play it well you can have a great time and there are few things as impressive as a few dozen Companies of Rohan lined up on the table edge. 8)

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject: Re: WotR force?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Having a basic understanding of the rules is really going to help. The rule book may look like an imposing tome, but the mechanics of WotR are very simple. There is some complexity in how special rules interact, but what would help is to find someone who does know how to play, and have them show you how things work, and maybe get a game in. It'd only take 30 minutes or less for somone to play a game with you and say 'Ok, here's how the turns work, here's how shooting works, here's how we do combat, and FYI, here's how you do magic'. Then a look at the stats and special rules for characters and formations would make a lot more sense, and you'd have a clear idea of what's good (for you). Nothhing but a brief scan of the rules means that even when people do try to help, it's reasonable to say they're likely to use terms that just won't make much sense. Also, you could have the 'best' army in the game, without knowing how to use it, you'd get beaten easily, and find yourself wondering what's going wrong.

When I started, I had a brief game at the local G.W., and it clarified everything I needed to know. I then had a flick through the Battlehost book, and decided Lurtz's scouts looked cool, so got them. Simple, and a decent way to get started!

The good news is that, because of the way allies and army building works in WotR, there's not quite as much scope for completely screwing up your army as there is in other games. Also, the mechanics are again really simple and straightforward to learn (not to say the game's simplistic, i means you can play the game, rather than the rules, if that makes sense). A practical demonstration of the game in action would just help you pick things up so quickly.