All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 12:36 pm

Post subject: Should spells stack?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Can spells stack? In other words can a unit be the target of more than one of the same type?

I notice that originally Epic Actions, such as Epic Defence could stack.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=4400007&pIndex=2&aId=12800001&multiPageMode=true&start=3

The most recent FAQ disallows this.
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1440049a_FAQ_WaroftheRingv1_1.pdf#page=4

So why would something like spells that are free, be more effective than something that costs 1 Might, such as Epic Actions?

Post subject: Re: Should spells stack?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Spells are not really "free" IMO, you pay for them in the points of the model, and after the 1st one there is no guarantee on many hero's that you will get the 2nd one off. Many times I only get 1 spell off.

I dont have my rulebook at work, but I guess Id have to see if spells can stack. Be interesting to read that tonight and see. Anyone else know if they can?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

As far as I know they stack (when applicable), but remember that each specllcaster can only cast the same spell once a turn.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I know I've raised this before, but the most extreme example of 'stacking' is when Mordor casts 2 or more 'Pall of Night' on a formation to make sure that more than one 'Call Winds' is required to negate it. Other examples include the increasingly common-place 'Strength through Corruption' on an enemy unit. This spell, used offensively, makes a mockery of the spells of Ruin, and, come to think of it, Epic Shot.

I guess the concensus is that this is how the the rules are written.

Stephen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

BoromirofIpswich wrote:
I know I've raised this before, but the most extreme example of 'stacking' is when Mordor casts 2 or more 'Pall of Night' on a formation to make sure that more than one 'Call Winds' is required to negate it.

That's why I said "when applicable" . May not charge is may not charge. There is nothing to stack. Multiple sunder spirits can keep lowering your Courage, but once you get to zero they have no more effect. Once Pall of Night prevents you from charging, additional "prevents you from charging" effects wouldn't do anything (I would think).

And I have mentioned before that I don't see anything that says a counter spell only eliminates one instance of a spell. If spells stack, and I can certainly see an argument that they shouldn't, I would think one Call Winds would cancel any number of Palls.

This is a tricky question, really wish they would FAQ this one.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

RAW, there is nothing that says they do not. For example Strength through Corruption is +2 Strength and D6 hits. Cast it again and it's what's already happened, but you get +2 Strength and D6 hits.

Play it however is most agreeable amongst your group/friends, but the rules give no bearing as to the spells not stacking. As said above though, the second Pall of Night would have no effect because they already are prevented from charging, so the spell actually does nothing.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I absolutely support (and we play) that counter spells are NOT needed on a 1:1 basis. If someone casts 3 stacking spells, then it still only takes one counter spell to clear them all. In the current environment where magic seems to tip the balance of a game more than anything else keeping the ability to counter such tactics "reasonable" is critical.

And yes, SfC is definitely a major offensive spell in our local group. Siege engines are pretty much eliminated in one turn if an Evil player can Wings of Terror over nearby and blast it with SfC, for example. I have never one time seen it used, or used it myself, on the same side as the caster. It always targets an enemy, preferably one that can't charge you that turn.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Oh, the guys with access to SfC around here use it for both all the time.

Best use though was in a 3 player game I was in a couple weeks ago. Easterling player cast it on me a I was about to fight the third players dwarves. Talk about efficient.