[b]The Taming of Smeagol 100 points
RACE TYPE M F S D A R C Mt
Hobbit Infantry 5 3/3+ 3 3 3 3 5 4

Wargear[b\]
Hand weapon, thrown weapons and enchanted cloaks

[b]Special RulesIndomitable, We Stand Alone

Company of Heros

Smeagol will show you the way (Smeagol)[\b]
- While smeagol is alive the formation have movement 7 and pathfinders (master)

[b]Your full of suprises, master Baggins (Frodo)[\b]- Thanks to the mithril coat the formations defence is increaded to 7

[b]Samwise the brave (Sam)[\b] While Sam is alive the company have +1 courage and are steadfast on 4+

please comment on what you think of this and any comments. might make some more
do you think the points cost is accurate

Last edited by Mádoc Redgreaves on Thu May 26, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Gollum, Sam & Frodo Legendary formation
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Neat idea for a formation. I like the effects of each character, I'd have Smeagol give Pathfinders(master) though, he does guide them through swamps and woods too. I do think you need something to indicate the potential treachery of Smeagol. Can't really think what though.

As for the points, no idea. You just have to playtest it a bunch I think.
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nice one...useful...Three hobbits on the way :-D

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:27 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I don't see this formation being Indomitable unless Samwise is the last halfling standing as Smeagol would probably run off with the Ring the moment Frodo and Samwise die nor Frodo trudging on much longer without Smeagol and Sam. You could add that to the Samwise the Brave rule.

Too bad Company of Heroes doesn't allow Epic Actions as it would be fun to give the Taming of Smeagol the Epic Journey ability.

"Oh no, it's four companies of Haradrim Raiders! Don't worry, those three hobbits overthere will hold them off." Hahahaha

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:44 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
"Oh no, it's four companies of Haradrim Raiders! Don't worry, those three hobbits overthere will hold them off."

And that's why they didn't mke them a formation... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:08 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

WayUnderTheMountain wrote:
I don't see this formation being Indomitable unless Samwise is the last halfling standing as Smeagol would probably run off with the Ring the moment Frodo and Samwise die nor Frodo trudging on much longer without Smeagol and Sam. You could add that to the Samwise the Brave rule.

That's true, but a formation of 3 guys really doesn't work without indomitable. Nevertheless, making the rule tied to Sam might allow for some interesting decisions in game.

No reason you can't give the formation Epic Journey, several monsters get Epic Actions. I love that it is so well supported by the fluff and it would be nice if Aragorn wasn't the ONLY thing in the game with that weird, off the wall ability.

Ultragreek wrote:
And that's why they didn't mke them a formation... :wink:

They made Tom Bombadil, Wormtongue, and Gollum by himself into formations. This is less of a stretch than they are.

Maybe Gollum could have a rule that gave him a 50/50 chance each turn of being Smeagol (with a benefit) or Gollum (with a penalty)? I like the fluffyness, but that is getting dangerously close to being too complex to actually use in game.

Regardless, in principle I like the concept of the formation, just needs a little bit of tweaking and playtesting with various options.
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:25 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

edited the pathfinders. the profile for gollum represents him in his 'good' stage like the profile for him in the TT sourcebook. put idomintable in because all other company of heros formations have this rule. might have a rule that states that you must remove frodo last

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would say that the movement, strength, defence and resilience are all too high. If you look at the hobbit companies, they have M4, S2, D2 and the Epic Hero Hobbits both have R1 - all four of them in The Fellowship have a combined Resilience of 3.

Personally, I'd suggest:
Dropping Movement to 4.
Dropping Strength to 2.
Dropping Defence to 2.
Dropping Resilience to a maximum of 2.
Change Gollum's ability to Pathfinders (Master) and Expert Riders (which sounds trange, but look at the rules) - maybe add in always pass At the Double! tests.
Frodo increases Defence to 5 (maybe 6). Possibly add a rule about the ring (costs 1 Might and only Spirits can see them for that round).
Sam provides +1 Fight (like a captain) and increases this by +2 if Frodo is removed (to represent his pan's and devotion) - maybe something else to make keeping him a better choice.

I think it's a great idea, but some of the stats needed to be brough in line with other halflings and the abilities needed to be less powerful. All of that said, the points cost would obviously drop a lot (no more than 75 points ABSOLUTE maximum).