All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:25 pm

Post subject: Finecast Question
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Are they replacing all the metal models with finecast instantly or will they slowly release them over the next few years?

it is apparent the prices seem to have dropped too. 8)

Post subject: Re: Finecast Question
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They are doing it immediately and they are actually increasing prices.
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That's the only disadvantage...
Hey what material they use to create them?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
They are doing it immediately and they are actually increasing prices.

Wrong.

What's released tomorrow is the first wave, then the older models will slowly get replaced. Until they do they're still metal.

New releases will be finecast though.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I wasn't so much wrong as, not completely correct, lol. They're doing a large chunk of the metal models straight away from all three systems and updating them constantly.

As for "the only disadvantgae", I personally disagree. The moldlines are worse, there's still more potential for respiratory problems, there's the fact that the models aren't any better than their metal equivalents because they use the same mold. This last one doesn't bother me, but some people like the weight of a metal model as well.

The material is a "secret recipe" of a blend of resin and plastic. But you still have to use superglue.
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:46 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

it's not the same molds, the old metals never came on sprues ;) If you go look at the saruman and grima blister.. you will see the difference in detail immediately.

Moldlines are easier to remove on finecast than on metal, all dust is bad for you, finecast is pretty safe compared to FW resin.

The finecast is slightly porous, meaning superglue bonds it together VERY well, literally a second and the bits are solid, it's also flexible, meaning snapping isn't a problem!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:40 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

yeah realise that finecast was more expensive but at least there are 4 models in a blister rather than 3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nobody experienced any melting yet in the heat?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:19 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showt ... #pid162215

Several people. Even testing for it.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'd suggest that there is a big difference between a sprue twisting when left in direct sunlight and a miniature melting. To suggest that a = b is spurious and a strawman argument at best. I'm not saying it can't happen but I'll reserve judgement until someone provides actual evidence that miniatures are melting.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:17 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'll simply redirect you to my comment in the other thread. For those that can't be bothered to find it (understandable), it was an experiment to show the difference and it had already been shown by a blogger and some people over at Warseer. The fact that gaarew asked the question shows he may have had some experience with it as well. It should also be noted that this was 24 degrees centigrade in Britain - nothing compared to Arizonan Summer (as an example)...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:08 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

HeavySoul wrote:
I'd suggest that there is a big difference between a sprue twisting when left in direct sunlight and a miniature melting. To suggest that a = b is spurious and a strawman argument at best. I'm not saying it can't happen but I'll reserve judgement until someone provides actual evidence that miniatures are melting.

It hasn't happened to me yet, but, I do work under hot lamps so I'm wary of it.

IMO, As the miniature is part of the sprue before assembly, if a sprue warps in the heat, then a miniature will, or at least any pieces thinner than the sprue will.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Also, many pas of a mini are far thinner than the sprue...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:15 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

HeavySoul wrote:
I'd suggest that there is a big difference between a sprue twisting when left in direct sunlight and a miniature melting. To suggest that a = b is spurious and a strawman argument at best.

no it isn't. i'm sure it's a logical fallacy of some sort, but in order to be a strawman it would require a misrepresentation of an opponent's argument.

Mordor-ob bot-tuk
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

HeavySoul wrote:

Is that to say that if a plastic sprue melts when over a flame (and it does) then there's no evidence to support the theory that a mini would too?

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
someone provides actual evidence that miniatures are melting.

I had some old plastic orcs that melted in the car , I thought I would see if some were in the bit box. I looked a few moments then I realized that the GW apologist would simply would say they were put in the micro wave or something.You know, it is not up to me to prove anything.Prove the figures don't melt. Prove they don't droop from gravity alone.I am not going to hold my breath. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:23 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

HeavySoul wrote:

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
I'll simply redirect you to my comment in the other thread. For those that can't be bothered to find it (understandable), it was an experiment to show the difference and it had already been shown by a blogger and some people over at Warseer. The fact that gaarew asked the question shows he may have had some experience with it as well. It should also be noted that this was 24 degrees centigrade in Britain - nothing compared to Arizonan Summer (as an example)...

I think there is some differences in word usage going on. I think when most people make a comment about the miniatures "melting" what they mean is "softening in the heat to the point that them simply existing causes unacceptable warping or distortion of shape or possible loss of surface detail" while I kinda got the impression that what HeavySoul meant (and maybe he can confirm or deny here) by "melting" was "reduced to a shapeless pile of goo similar to what happens when you put an ice cube in your oven"

So, when it was said

Quote:
I'd suggest that there is a big difference between a sprue twisting when left in direct sunlight and a miniature melting.

that is true from the point of view of the second usage of the term, but not so much with the first. There isn't a big difference between a sprue twisting when left in direct sunlightand a miniature doing the same, and this is what (I think) most people mean when the comment on a miniature "melting"
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I was referring to the fact that it approached melting point, thusly being liquid enough (with a high viscosity) to distort its shape, a.k.a. warp.

Having said that, in all honesty, how often do we leave models outside for 10 hours, in direct sunlight, in warm weather? Still, it's something that I'm wary about and, as many reports of warping, there have been as many not.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
how often do we leave models outside for 10 hours, in direct sunlight, in warm weather?

It was over 120F or more than 50C on my work table were I often prime figures. That is usually safe for Plastic. In the Car it gets hot enough to kill children and pets. Ordinary GW plastic will warp in about 1/2 an hour. Now if the Fine cast warps in 30C weather in a store window. It will warp in my storage area at 40 C So it is not a matter of 10 hours in direct Sun. 10 hours in the sun around here will fade the paint. It will not melt ordinary GW plastic. Now the material I think the GW fine cast figures are made from seems to do ok in long term storage in my storage area so long as the parts are not too thin. I would avoid the areas were light and heat might be magnified like car widows or window displays.Gravity seems to be a factor as well. Some of the older resin models I have seem to have developed bad posture.

I was going to post a photo but photo bucket is down for now.

I want to say that the melting issue is real but not as big a problem that some people have made it to be. Don't think that if you can fix them in warm water they will not droop in hot weather. I not sure that I would store the models in foam cases as the swords and spears will likely bend out of shape.They will grow brittle with age.