All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:16 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Citadel finecast
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think GW just rushed it too much. They should have had the price rise, like normal. Then they should have waited a little while so they could stockpile more figures and ship them out so this limit of 3 could have been a limit of 5 or even no limit. They should also have taken more time to make sure that the blisters they shipped out were good, with no defects, etc.

Overall, like the miniwargaming video review, I think this is not that bad. The price rise was coming anyway. The resin seems to be a better material in regards to paint chipping. And if you want more wieght to your fiogures glue a penny or washer to the bottom of the base.

I think the residual bad feelings from the thought that GW were raising prices for a cheaper material (when they were actually doing their normal spring price rise) combined with the lack of quality control from the start is what's wrong. Once everything settles down I don't think this will be as bad as some people are making it out to be.

Bear in mind I have not seen the finecast figures first hand, and NO, I don't work for GW, this is just my thoughts... :P :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Here is a quote from a very wise person talking about the price-rise:

Quote:
In a few weeks people will forget there was a rise and just get on with it. We go through this EVERY year.. so many people shout and cry exclaiming they will quit and never buy anything again.

I would just like to say how much I agree. Now, can we please move on?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yes i agree, how about what's the big item people have talked about being released soon? I hope its Stone Giants.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:46 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Have to say I do like the new box art and the open terrain backdrops. Gives a less claustrophobic feel to the whole line.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I was just happy to see the normal warriors moving up to 4-pack sets. The old Berserker, for example, ran about $5 each in the 3-pack. They are about $5.75 now so that's not too bad. Until it was confirmed they are 4-pack though it was really an ugly thought to be spending about $7.60 each based on the old 3-pack model. This actually makes it easier (and only slightly more expensive) to build WotR formations as they require 2 instead of 3 sets to make a Company now.

Again, lack of early (and hardly "trade secret" worthy) info on GWs part makes for some unnecessary bad feelings.

I'm still not happy about the cost of Finecast Heroes being $10 more than the old metals, but thankfully I have most Heroes that I care about for a while.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'ver seen one blog that praised the new casting material to no end, but it wasn't a critical analysis - they didn't try to find any faults, which there always would be (even if this didn't have the major faults that have been mentioned, there would be something of a downside, even just the lightweight nature of it or something...).

I think using a Games Workshop article to back up the praise given to this isn't as helpful as a blogger though, personally. A blogger will (usually) find faults as well as pros, whereas GW will either ignore them, try to spint hem as a good thing or diminish the actuality of the problem. On CDO nobody has found a single model without air bubbles and there are some who found that the entire stock of some products were unusuable because of the size of them (remove half a head, both feet and putting a gap in backpacks etc).

As has been said, it is bendier, but on thin parts (such as a Rohan Royal Guard lance or Gandalf's staff) they will snap quickly. By it's nature, resin is more brittle than plastic and metal and the thin parts were desinged for those materials.

Regarding an outcry about price increases: I thinkt hat it'll take longer for people to forget this time and that more people will drop out. Also, previously, people have reduced the amount bought, but not the amount spent. I think it's becoming an increasing phenomenon that people are spending less overall as well and many are simply finishing off collections or armies. People are buying second-hand, from discount retailers (getting closed off to the RoW) or other companies to justify staying in the hobby.

For a product called Finecast, from the leading company in the market, where they claim the new material is the pinnacle of a product, I'd expect the product to come out perfect. A couple of air bubbles that can be filled with superglue is fine (which they've stated in White Dwarf AND on the website in at least two places because it's such a common problem) by me, but that's not it. There's no quality control despite people cleaning the mold-lubricant from the model.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

aelfwine wrote:
Jamros - there's still quite a lot of Fellowship sets that pop up on ebay. Probably worth your while.

Thanks Gavin. I don't have an ebay account myself, but my father does. After you suggested it, I guess it finally clicked that ebay was more or less my last, best option (barring a costly, possibly risky Amazon transaction). So, a barely used original Fellowship set arrived two days ago. I've been busy, and have only gotten around to cleaning a few of the miniatures.

It was $41 and included Bilbo Baggins. Compared to GW's around $60 for the Fellowship and Bilbo---though its now discontinued.

I'm still very disappointed with how they arranged the Finecast Fellowship. It just doesn't make sense, that set cannot be used as the Fellowship itself, but only for individual heroes that make up the Fellowship.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Okay, if you want proof that Finecast/Finecost/finecast is a bad idea, check out this thread: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showt ... #pid162215

There is undeniable proof that they will warp and melt in even British weather. Australians and Americans (as a couple of examples) beware...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:56 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Jeez this is bloody disgraceful so I can go to GW buy some great new fine cast minis at a rip off price only to take them home to have them warp and melt. Really GW did you actually think any of this through?????????

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

simply, NO :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It is hot enough where I live for the normal plastic models to melt in the car.If the fine cast will melt in Europe there is no way to expect they would even survive shipping.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think people are over-exaggerating, no-one on this site has said anything about warping and melting with their models and besides GW are a good company no matter what you say. Anyway, if you have such a HUGE problem with finecast most of their models are re-moulds of classics that are so cheap on ebay i never would have considered buying them from GW new, and i highly doubt they will release many new finecast models for lotr until the hobbit comes out, and maybe their releases for the hobbit will be cheaper than lotr sets:)

Lets be honest the finecast models are better minis than metal and are not guaranteed to melt or anything, besides who leaves miniatures in direct sunlight for 10 hours a day?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My local GW has had finecast in the front window for the past 2 weeks now. It's been a hot 2 weks here and there's been no melting/warping/bending.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
Australians and Americans (as a couple of examples) beware...

We know plastic will melt in the car on a hot day We now know fine cast will melt on a warm day. As far as leaving miniatures in direct sunlight- at the very least the paint will fade over time. So it is not a good idea. So you feel fine cast is better than metal. Cool let see what the used figure market does.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If what they are saying about warping in 25 degrees is true then I am definietly NOT getting finecast. Summers were I live (although not as high as australia) are extremely hot and I am not home during the summers to account for all my models.

If GW are going to make us pay more for good quality, then it better be GOOD quality!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
Okay, if you want proof that Finecast/Finecost/finecast is a bad idea, check out this thread: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showt ... #pid162215

There is undeniable proof that they will warp and melt in even British weather. Australians and Americans (as a couple of examples) beware...

There is no proof in the linked to thread of miniatures melting, only that an empty sprue will warp in direct sunlight. I'd suggest that there is a big difference between a sprue twisting when left in direct sunlight and a miniature melting. To suggest that a = b is spurious and a strawman argument at best. I'm not saying it can't happen but I'll reserve judgement until someone provides actual evidence that miniatures are melting.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well heavysoul would you use a brand new finecast mini to test if it would warp and melt? I know i certainly wouldn't.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:56 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

{aD}??? wrote:
Well heavysoul would you use a brand new finecast mini to test if it would warp and melt? I know i certainly wouldn't.

No, but I also won't claim that it will melt when I do not have any evidence to support my assertion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

HeavySoul: Are your Finecast miniatures made of something different to the sprue? QAlso, there is a link to someone's blog who has said the same thing, it's been said on Warseer as well. If you read the thread, it's that the sprue was a somewhat-controlled experiment to test the theory that had been proved by others before hand to show what the effects were.

To those saying 10 hours in direct sunlight wouldn't happen, that may be, but an Australian Summer inside is easily more than 24 degrees centigrade and lasts longer than a mere 10 hours.

Lastly, the ones inhe store window are possibly protected by the paint (I doubt it), which would be an upside, but it may also be inconsistency with the resin/plastic blend.

Regardless, paying a premium price for something that has such a low warp-threshold is stupid when it's called Finecast.

I appreciate people are excited, but the bottom line is that some are refusing to acknowledge that there are ANY problems with the product. Personally, I see there are advantages (crisper modling, less paint-chipping and lighter cases as a result. Plus, generally more non-heroes per buy than before), but these are far outweighed by the disadvantages (the amount of miscasts, the price, the melting factor, the metal-resin models aren't substantially different [although new models made FOR resin are good])...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

HeavySoul wrote:
{aD}??? wrote:

No, but I also won't claim that it will melt when I do not have any evidence to support my assertion.

Fair enough looking back yes no evidence of melting but clearly it will warp. Will the finecast warp in direct sunlight at a certain temp or at a certain temp?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next