All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:59 pm

Post subject: Dry or not...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hi guys... Tomorrow probably i will buy my first minis and i have painting questiona...
1)When you spray your minis do you begin paintng immidielty?
2) Whn you add a colour do you wait for it to dry or you aplly the next colour?
3)When a painting guide says drybrush it eman your brush mus not be wait right?
:)
 Post subject: Re: Dry or not...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

1) No, I give them time to dry, which can be helped with a hair dryer, just don't hold it too close for too long... I then inspect the minis for any areas that the spray has missed and touch them up by brush, and allow this to dry. (I get through a lot of coffee...)

2) Unless you are wet blending, the paint should be allowed to dry before you add the next layer. Drying time will depend on how much you water the paint down.

3) Dip the bush in paint and wipe most of it off on a tissue or towel, this is what you would call over brushing, in that passing the brush over the mini deposits a lot of colour and can be used for quick basecoating. It is still a messy practise and should be done before any more detailed painting.

Or (both techniques are pretty similar)

Dip the bush in paint and wipe most of it off on a tissue or towel, wipe it again, and again, and again. There should be almost no visible paint on the bristles, and this is what you would call dry brushing. Pass the brush over the model and you will (hopefully) get a very slight amount of paint deposited on the mini. It sometimes leads to a slightly dusty look, but this can be covered by multiple drybrushes and glazing or washes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks very much :rofl:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:21 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Also, when drybrushing, a good way to gauge whether there is enough paint on the brush is to wipe it over your finger. It should only put the paint on the high points, showing your fingerprint :). If not, then not the right amount of paint 8)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

With drybrushing, the consistency must me right. Too thin and it wont work, too thick and it will leave irregular blotches and will clump up. Ideally I dont use drybrushing with acrylics if I can help it as oil based paint is better as it has a longer drying time. However, I tend to use a piece of rag or kitchen towel and rub the paint out on that. I use my old brushes for this but have converted a few brushes as dry brushers as you do need a good brush. Just make sure you dont use your best brush for the job as it will ruin the bristles. And I find flat brushes work better than rounded ones (as in the bristles!)