All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 5:24 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Building a Moria Goblin Army
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Cyndra the Grey wrote:
Where about in Scotland are you? I'm near Glasgow myself 8)

Looking forward to seeing those pics

Cyndra the Grey

I live in Montrose, not too far from Dundee.

Also, I should get them up soon and will link you guys to my W.I.P thread once it's up. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If you're low on cash and are only playing friendly games, you can use some of your goblins as proxies for prowlers (described in the Khazad-dum book). They are an excellent addition to any Moria army. Use some greenstuff to create face masks and paint them red so your friends can see the difference and you should be good to go.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

whafrog wrote:
If you're low on cash and are only playing friendly games, you can use some of your goblins as proxies for prowlers (described in the Khazad-dum book). They are an excellent addition to any Moria army. Use some greenstuff to create face masks and paint them red so your friends can see the difference and you should be good to go.

Thanks, the price isn't really my concern now as I am finding stuff on the cheap. The worst thing now is I'm a slow painter. :(

Here is a link for everyone to my W.I.P Thead!: http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=21053

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

GuardianoftheCitadel wrote:
Thanks, the price isn't really my concern now as I am finding stuff on the cheap. The worst thing now is I'm a slow painter. :(

Here is a link for everyone to my W.I.P Thead!: http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=21053

In that case you could try the dipping method, especially if you want a reasonably good looking mass army on your gaming table reasonably fast.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ares B wrote:
GuardianoftheCitadel wrote:

In that case you could try the dipping method, especially if you want a reasonably good looking mass army on your gaming table reasonably fast.

I've consulted my father - a man who does not care for these models, but he likes my paint work and has a common sense - and I told him due to my slow painting I find painting goblins quite tedious and after my twelve I don't think I could handle another set, e.g. 24 more.

I may be abandoning this army and will just start collecting miniatures that I like that I want to paint.

Sorry for any inconvenience guys and as always, thanks for all your comments!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If moria is just too much painting, join me in Uruk-Hai!! There are not too much guys in that army if you take the right guys in you army. As for good armies, maybe elves or dwarves?

Kiliaan

Blood Angels - 850+
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Orcs and uruks would be a good choice, since you can still use your goblins as allies, they're cheap cannon fodder. Isengard, Angmar and Dol Guldur each offer a nice variety of troop types.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeah, I think I'll probably move onto an Uruk-Hai army or such, but as always, I will keep you guys updated.

Kili, if you want we can talk about Isengard armies through PM, if it is off topic here?

Thank you for your help guys!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

One thing that may help is getting an army that has a little more variety to it. Moria Goblins, Uruk Hai, Warriors of Minas Tirith and a few others are really pretty much one-scheme and can get tedious quick if you're spending a lot of time on each model. Orcs are a nice option because they are pretty rag-tag in their gear. You can set aside 2-4 colors for skin, a couple for hair, a few for cloths, a couple browns and black for straps and boots, and a couple metalics). Also grab a black and brown wash.

After you have cleaned and base coated a bunch of models just put them in a big bowl and randomly pull out four to six. Pick your first pallet from those (one skin, one hair, one cloth and one metal color). Paint this little group with those colors and then give them a wash. You can add a little more "variety" here by washing different parts of the model with brown vs. black, or washing a few in one and the rest in the other. It is a subtle difference only but does help. Then put those guys aside to dry completely. I find when working with six models by the time I finish the skin on all of them the first are done and I can start on the cloths, for example. So it goes pretty quick.

When the first batch of six are drying, mix up your color pallet colors and grab another six models from the bowl and do it again. Doing it this way does help break up the monotony as well as helps ensure that when you look at a big group there's not much "pattern" to it. And you can get through a dozen models in an hour at a reasonable pace (paint a whole box while watching a movie).

After you have a bunch of them that have fully dried then go back thru and add some extra details to some, but not all. This can include some dark red blood here and there, buckles, a red-eye on a shield, etc. Again, if you have 24 Orcs done up to this point you can detail them up in maybe 30 minutes.

Then spray them all down with a good dull-coat protection and an hour or two later you're ready to play. You can obviously do this even easier with uniformed forces like Goblins/Uruks/WoMT, but it sounds like the lack of variety and the repetition of the Goblins is driving you nuts. I used to spend a lot of time on my Wood Elf army back when I was painting the models for SBG (where you didn't need very many), but that pace was killing me for growing to WotR size. I use a method like this now and can grow the force by another box pretty quick when needed and not dread the process.

One other thing that helps a lot is to get some special models and use them as a reward. For example, finish up 4 Companies ( 32 models ) of Orcs, and then paint a Captain and Banner. These special models can be treated with all the time and care you want to give them, highlight you talents as a painter, and give you some needed leaders for your army. Trolls, Named / Epic Heroes and generic command forces are all good examples of "reward" models.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Beowulf03809 wrote:
One thing that may help is getting an army that has a little more variety to it. Moria Goblins, Uruk Hai, Warriors of Minas Tirith and a few others are really pretty much one-scheme and can get tedious quick if you're spending a lot of time on each model. Orcs are a nice option because they are pretty rag-tag in their gear. You can set aside 2-4 colors for skin, a couple for hair, a few for cloths, a couple browns and black for straps and boots, and a couple metalics). Also grab a black and brown wash.

After you have cleaned and base coated a bunch of models just put them in a big bowl and randomly pull out four to six. Pick your first pallet from those (one skin, one hair, one cloth and one metal color). Paint this little group with those colors and then give them a wash. You can add a little more "variety" here by washing different parts of the model with brown vs. black, or washing a few in one and the rest in the other. It is a subtle difference only but does help. Then put those guys aside to dry completely. I find when working with six models by the time I finish the skin on all of them the first are done and I can start on the cloths, for example. So it goes pretty quick.

When the first batch of six are drying, mix up your color pallet colors and grab another six models from the bowl and do it again. Doing it this way does help break up the monotony as well as helps ensure that when you look at a big group there's not much "pattern" to it. And you can get through a dozen models in an hour at a reasonable pace (paint a whole box while watching a movie).

After you have a bunch of them that have fully dried then go back thru and add some extra details to some, but not all. This can include some dark red blood here and there, buckles, a red-eye on a shield, etc. Again, if you have 24 Orcs done up to this point you can detail them up in maybe 30 minutes.

Then spray them all down with a good dull-coat protection and an hour or two later you're ready to play. You can obviously do this even easier with uniformed forces like Goblins/Uruks/WoMT, but it sounds like the lack of variety and the repetition of the Goblins is driving you nuts. I used to spend a lot of time on my Wood Elf army back when I was painting the models for SBG (where you didn't need very many), but that pace was killing me for growing to WotR size. I use a method like this now and can grow the force by another box pretty quick when needed and not dread the process.

One other thing that helps a lot is to get some special models and use them as a reward. For example, finish up 4 Companies ( 32 models ) of Orcs, and then paint a Captain and Banner. These special models can be treated with all the time and care you want to give them, highlight you talents as a painter, and give you some needed leaders for your army. Trolls, Named / Epic Heroes and generic command forces are all good examples of "reward" models.

Thanks for putting all your time into writing down this information with me and I will definitely take it into account, infact I will use it on my remaining eight goblins models, start my diorama, which may take me quite a few weeks, and then begin other things.

Just a note, I only get £25 a month so you can see that once I buy a box set i'm down to £5 which is just not enough for two pots of paint. So you can see the need for me to shop around for cheap models.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dude do NOT buy anything at retail price when your starting out, use ebay :) If there is a certain model you are desperate for but you can't find on ebay then proxy (use it as) a blank base as that model in a game, if the "model" proves to be incredibly effective then buy it, if not then stay away :)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Dude do NOT buy anything at retail price when your starting out, use ebay :) If there is a certain model you are desperate for but you can't find on ebay then proxy (use it as) a blank base as that model in a game, if the "model" proves to be incredibly effective then buy it, if not then stay away :)

Thanks for the advice mate ;) and I think eBay might be one of my most visited sites in the coming months. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lol same. You know how one of the ad's on youtube is for recommended ebay items based on my ebay search history? Well it is just full of warhammer bargains so i had to ban the ad from my computer so whenever i have someone over and we are on youtube, they don't get all freaked out...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Lol same. You know how one of the ad's on youtube is for recommended ebay items based on my ebay search history? Well it is just full of warhammer bargains so i had to ban the ad from my computer so whenever i have someone over and we are on youtube, they don't get all freaked out...

I noticed that too, I think I had a load of SBG figures in mine, haha.

Also I'm thinking of this as my first Goblin/Uruk Scout army.

1x Lurtz
24x Uruk-hai Scouts
1x Durburz
1x Goblin Shaman
12x Moria Goblins
1x Cave Troll

I am not sure how much points this is worth points wise or money wise. I also know (thanks to you!) that Durburz is not available in this alliance but I don't think people will mind as i'm a beginner.

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:27 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

WOW! You get £25 a month! You think that isn't a lot!
Oh and, you to buy list looks good.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
WOW! You get £25 a month! You think that isn't a lot!
Oh and, you to buy list looks good.

I didn't mean to say it wasn't alot, I just mean that when it comes to GamesWorkshop miniatures then it's not that much (a box of figures being £20) .

And could you recommend any tweaks or changes to that list, or do you think it's fine?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I did some point cracking for you and this army costs 513 points total, so remove a scout and a goblin and you will have a nice 500 points force (which is a "standard" sized army) I personally quite like it, it has 7 might, and 38 models (once you've removed the goblin and the scout) which isn't ideal for evil but nonetheless this list has high stength and fight value across the board, with goblins to provide spear support and soak up enemy arrows.

I suggest buying a ringwraith, simply because it can be used as one of 9 different named heroes OR can be used as a "budget wraith" which are great for filling up points (they cost anywhere from 55-110 points depending on what stats you give them) So for a beginner, they are pretty useful :)

Another note is that a shaman is, unfortunately, not allowed in a "dwellers below" list, but as you say no-one will mind. Also when choosing an army you need to choose one of your heroes to be the leader, this does not mean that you should choose the hero with the better stand fast, you should choose the hero with the highest killing capacity/survivability, in this case lurtz. This is done because many scenarios revolve around the survival of your leader/how many kills the leader can get.

Anyway...More goblins in place of durburz or the shaman would help this force alot :)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
I did some point cracking for you and this army costs 513 points total, so remove a scout and a goblin and you will have a nice 500 points force (which is a "standard" sized army) I personally quite like it, it has 7 might, and 38 models (once you've removed the goblin and the scout) which isn't ideal for evil but nonetheless this list has high stength and fight value across the board, with goblins to provide spear support and soak up enemy arrows.

I suggest buying a ringwraith, simply because it can be used as one of 9 different named heroes OR can be used as a "budget wraith" which are great for filling up points (they cost anywhere from 55-110 points depending on what stats you give them) So for a beginner, they are pretty useful :)

Another note is that a shaman is, unfortunately, not allowed in a "dwellers below" list, but as you say no-one will mind. Also when choosing an army you need to choose one of your heroes to be the leader, this does not mean that you should choose the hero with the better stand fast, you should choose the hero with the highest killing capacity/survivability, in this case lurtz. This is done because many scenarios revolve around the survival of your leader/how many kills the leader can get.

Anyway...More goblins in place of durburz or the shaman would help this force alot :)

How does this sound?

1x Lurtz
24x Uruk-Hai Scouts
1x Ringwraith
24x Goblins
1x Cave Troll

Anyone fancy tallying this up for me? It would be much appreciated. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well, you are 1 over the modellimit :( but aside from that, it looks pretty good :)

Kiliaan

Blood Angels - 850+
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Kili wrote:
Well, you are 1 over the modellimit :( but aside from that, it looks pretty good :)

Kiliaan

Guess I can just remove one of the Goblins or Uruk-hai Scouts? I don't want to give up the Cave-Troll. :no: I really want to get one in my collection.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next