All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:19 pm

Post subject: Lesser un-named wizards in LOTR REVISED!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hey guys,

i took in all your c&c and decided to have a second crack at these rules, please tell me whether you prefer the older version or this updated version, i decided to keep the elf lesser mage although i know about the stormcaller i just didnt have the heart to erase to :) , also for background purposes i decided to change the fluff too. enjoy guys!!

The below characters represent unnamed wizards in the LOTR universe who have been trained under the watchful eyes of the many well known wizards throughout middle earth. These below wizards have no actual magical powers; rather they have harnessed the gifts of lesser talismans, which by a regime of harsh and constant training has allowed them to become wizards of sorts.

Highly respected and often renowned throughout the land of man, human mages range from powerful battle wizards fighting the enemy in the midst of combat to subdued healers who aid wounded and care for the needy.
Good Wizard (Man) Points: 60pts
F S D A W C M W F
3/4+ 3 4 1 2 4 1 2 1

War Gear:
Human wizards are armed with a staff (two hand weapon) and a sword, in combat they may use one or the other, they may also choose any of the following:

Bow = 2pts
Horse = 10pts
Armour = 5pts
Shield = 5pts
Magic Powers:
Signature spell (Sorcerous Blast)Spell name if replaced:...............................: Dice score to use 2+
Fate of Magic power (see fate of magic)spell name:...............................: Dice score to use 4+
Fate of magic power (see fate of magic)spell name:...............................: Dice score to use 5+

Twisted and corrupt, these wicked men strayed to their dark lord long ago. Since then their powers have been entwined with the fate of the one ring and the form of their dark master Sauron. Their time is spent hunting for the one ring hoping to please their dark master and access a greater knowledge of magic power.
Evil Sorcerer (Man) Points: 60pts
F S D A W C M W F
3/4+ 4 4 1 2 3 1 1 2

War Gear:
Evil Sorcerers are armed with a staff (two hand weapon) and a sword, in combat they may use one or the other, they may also choose any of the following:

Orc Bow = 1pts
Horse or Warg = 10pts
Armour = 5pts
Shield = 5pts
Magic Powers:
Signature spell (Sorcerous Blast)Spell name if replaced:...............................: Dice score to use 2+
Fate of Magic power (see fate of magic)spell name:...............................: Dice score to use 4+
Fate of magic power (see fate of magic)spell name:............................... : Dice score to use 5+

One of the oldest races inhabiting middle earth, they are one of the first users of magic however their age and diminishing race has made them suspicious and untrusting of younger races. They use their powers to protect their lands and people.
Elven Enchanter Points: 70pts
F S D A W C M W F
4/3+ 3 4 1 2 5 1 3 1

War Gear:
Elven enchanters are armed with an elven blade and a talisman that is used to cat their spells. They may also choose any of the following:

Elven Bow = 2pts
Horse = 10pts
Elven cloak = 10pts
Armour = 5pts
Magic Powers:
Fate of magic power (see fate of magic)spell name:...............................: Dice score to use 5+

Dwarves are expert rune smith, they often carve ancient texts and symbols into their favoured materials, this enables them to channel what some would call magic. These rune smiths have become rare and somewhat sort after this is due to their ability to freeze a cave troll and scare away hordes of goblins with their blinding light.
Dwarf rune smith Points: 60pts
F S D A W C M W F
4/4+ 3 4 1 2 4 2 1 1

War Gear:
Dwarf rune smiths are armed with a hand weapon, and a runic talisman that is used to cast spells. They may also choose any of the following:

Throwing Axe = 5pts
Two Handed Weapon = 5pts
Shield = 5pts
Armour = 5pts
Magic Powers:
Signature spell (Sorcerous Blast)Spell name if replaced:............................... : Dice score to use 2+
Fate of Magic power (see fate of magic)spell name:............................... : Dice score to use 4+
Fate of magic power (see fate of magic)spell name: ............................... : Dice score to use 5+

Rules
Lesser Mages:
These wizards are only a shadow of many more powerful wizards such as Gandalf and Saruman; unlike these more powerful wizards they have not got an unlimited supply of willpower, however through their training and force of will they have harnessed a minor level of willpower regeneration. To represent this when a wizard reaches 0 willpower they may attempt to regain one single point of will power. This ability is done when a spell would normally be cast, the player must roll a D6 and on a score of 5+ they regain 1 point of willpower next turn, this can only be done when the wizard reaches 0 willpower.

Will:
Wizards have a complex and powerful minds; this gift allows them to learn at an exponential rate. To represent this skill they have attained they may buy and extra point of will power for 10pts up to a maximum of 5. When a wizard has 5 will power the score needed for his lesser mage roll is reduced to 4+.

Woodland creature:
Elves only see Legolas entry in main rulebook.

Signature spell:
A signature spell is the wizard first learnt spell, this is a spell they have master to an almost perfection and can cast it with relative ease. Every wizard has sorcerous blast as his default signature spell, this can be replaced by and single spell on the below table to suit the wizards background or your own personal preference. When this is done you must replace the spell that you chosen on the table with sorcerous blast e.g. if an evil sorcerer swapped sorcerous blast for black dart, sorcerous blast would now be a 5 on the below table.(There is space to write this new choice on the character entry)

Fate of magic:
Magic is truly mysterious and difficult to predict, especially for lesser wizards. To represent this two spell on the wizards profile are marked fate of magic, these spells must be rolled for at random on the below table at the beginning of the battle, if two of the same spell are rolled you may re-roll until a different result is obtained; also players must openly nominate to their opponent what spell goes where, the result must also be written in the space provided:

Roll 3d6 and consult the table for your fate of magic spell: for the details of each spell see the LOTR rulebook:
3: Aura of Command 11: Natures Wrath
4: Aura of Dismay 12: Immobilize/Transfix
5: Black Dart 13: Panic Steed
6: Blinding Light 14: Renew
7: Chill Soul 15: Sap Will
8: Command/Compel 16: Strengthen Will
9: Drain Courage 17: Terrifying Aura
10: Fury 18: Your Staff is Broken
 Post subject: Re: Lesser un-named wizards in LOTR REVISED!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:09 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I think that is good, the 'fluff' is definately much better as is the randomness of spelll selection. However I don't think for eg that elves should be able to have fury and black dart. Maybe a different chart for each of the four spellcasters?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

you are right about the elves with fury and black dart, it doesnt quite fit their fluff, and i will eventually do different tables in V3! :D . as for now the idea of corrupt elves for back dart might work but hey that might be me making excuses :-D , cheers for the reply and nice words!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:39 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

this is cool - like the initial justification. i'm working on something similar for battle companies and am using a similar will regeneration rule... i think it makes alot of sense. keep up the good work.

the way i've seperated my "spell" lists is 3(1/2) ways --> elf-magic, light magic and black arts.
elf-magic covers elves and numenoreans (who don't have access to the most powerful spells)
light magic covers the istari, eg. Maia like Gandalf & Radagast
black arts covers all the "deceits fo the enemy" including shamans, war priests and nazgul. this one is the hardest to seperate effectively im trying to use a D33 table. feel free to check it out there is a link to the website in my signature. (blog has a rough draft download covering the above).
numenor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:39 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Looks interesting. However the dwarf one doesn't really sit right with me; in Lotr runes held no supernatural power- the runesmith mage thing is more of a WHFB thing for dwarves. I think that they are more into manipulation of metals and things like that eg. Narsil was a powerful sword, the dagger Angrist could carve through iron...et cetera. Perhaps you could do something like that, for example the dwarf mage spends a point of will and rolls a D3, that many dwarf warriors get a +1 on their wound rolls.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:48 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

thanks alot for the replys guys, Elros i may very well take your idea of rune smthing being about boosting their abilities rather than zappy magic! numenor, its great to see im not the only one bothered by the ommission of lesser mages and i am very interested in what you are planning, be sure to post it, also if you wanted to use some of my rules go ahead!