All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:26 pm

Post subject: re-re-re-done! Lesser wizards and rune smith V4.0 ENJOY!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:18 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hey guys,

i took in your below C&C and re did the magic and rules, basically the magic table is now the average of every wizard in the main rule book e.g. saruman, gandalf, ringwraiths etc and i added 2 for example the average for chill soul was 4+ and i added 2 to make it cast on 6+, hopefully this means that my lesser wizards are in no way the same league as saruman etc. i also changed the signature spell to make it harder to cast the sig spell (not sorceorus blast on 2+ :-D ), please comment as much as you did before it really help and was great, as before if u want the PDf of this gimme a buzz and i will email it to you for free!

thanks guys

The below characters represent unnamed wizards in the LOTR universe who have been trained under the watchful eyes of the many well known wizards throughout middle earth. These wizards have no actual magical powers; rather they have harnessed the gifts of lesser talismans, which by a regime of harsh and constant training has allowed them to become wizards of sorts.

Below is a list of armies in LOTR and where each wizard is able to ally himself. Wizards may only ally into these factions e.g. a good wizard cannot go into Angmar.

Good wizard
Arnor, the Riders of Eorl(Horse required), Theoden's Host, The Tower of Ecthelion, Minas Tirith, The Fiefdoms, the Army of the High King, the Rangers of Ithilien

Evil wizard
Angmar, the Legions of the White Hand, Isengard Raiders, Dunland, Ciritth Ungo, Dol Guldor, Minas Morgul, Barad-dur, The Easterlings, Variags of Khand, Harad, Far Harad, Umbar

Elf wizard
Rivindell, the Grey Havens, Eregion, Lothlorien, Thranduil's Halls

Dwarf Runecaller
Durin's Folf, Khazad-dum, Erebor.

Highly respected and often renowned throughout the land of man, human mages range from powerful battle wizards fighting the enemy in the midst of combat to subdued healers who aid wounded and care for the needy.

Good Wizard Points= 60
F S D A W C M W F
3/4+ 3 4 1 2 4 1 2 1

War gear:
Human wizards are armed with a staff (two hand weapon) and a hand weapon, in combat they may use one or the other, they may also choose any of the following:

Bow = 2pts
Horse = 10pts
Armour = 5pts
Shield = 5pts

Magic Powers:
Signature spell, Name of spell:……… ……..: dice roll to use…+
Spell 1, Name of spell:…………………………...: dice roll to use…+
Spell 2, Name of spell:…………………………...: dice roll to use…+

Twisted and corrupt, these wicked men strayed to their dark lord long ago. Since then their powers have been entwined with the fate of the one ring and the form of their dark master, Sauron. Their time is spent hunting for the one ring hoping to please their dark master and access greater power.

Evil Sorcerer Points= 60
F S D A W C M W F
3/4+ 4 4 1 2 3 1 1 2

War gear:
Evil Sorcerers are armed with a staff (two hand weapon) and a hand weapon, in combat they may use one or the other, they may also choose any of the following:

Orc Bow = 1pts
Horse or Warg = 10pts
Armour = 5pts
Shield = 5pts

Magic Powers:

One of the oldest races inhabiting middle earth, they are one of the first users of magic however their age and diminishing race has made them suspicious and untrusting of younger races. They use their powers to protect their lands and people.

Elven Enchanter Points = 70
F S D A W C M W F
5/3+ 3 4 1 2 6 1 3 1

War gear:
Elven enchanters are armed with an Elven blade and a Staff (two handed weapon) that is used to cast their spells, they may use one or the other in combat. They may also choose any of the following:

Elven Bow = 2pts
Horse = 10pts
Elven cloak = 10pts
Armour = 5pts

Magic Powers:

There are a few dwarves who are expert rune smiths, these dwarves have learnt to ability carve ancient texts and symbols into their favoured materials and channel these ancient markings into what some would call magic. However due to their perishing race these rune smiths have become rare and somewhat sort after.

Dwarf Rune smith Points = 35
F S D A W C M W F
4/4+ 4 7 1 2 5 2 1 1

War gear:
Dwarf rune smiths are armed with a hand weapon and armour. They may also choose any of the following:

Throwing Axe = 5pts
Two Handed Weapon = 5pts
Shield = 5pts
Heavy Armour = 10pts
Runes = See dwarven rune craft (you may only have up to one of each kind of rune)

Magic Powers:
Battle rune, rune Name:........................................: Dice score to use 4+
Armour Rune, rune name:................................... : Dice score to use 4+
Command rune, rune name: ................................ : Dice score to use 4+

Rules

Lesser Mages:
These wizards are only a shadow of many more powerful wizards such as Gandalf and Saruman; unlike these more powerful wizards they have not got an unlimited supply of willpower, however through their talismans and staffs they have harnessed a minor level of willpower regeneration. To represent this when a wizard reaches 0 willpower they may attempt to regain one single point of will power. This ability is done when a spell would normally be cast, the player must roll a D6 and on a score of 5+ they regain 1 point of will next turn, this can only be done when the wizard reaches 0 will. If a your staff is broken spell is successful on any of these characters this rule ceases to exist!

Your Staff is Broken against runes:
Runes can be broken in the same way that staffs and other talismans can be broken. If affected by this spell then a dwarf rune smith will not be able to regenerate will power as above, but may still use his runes in the same way a wizard can still cast spells.

Will:
Wizards have a complex and powerful minds; this gift allows them to learn at an exponential rate. To represent this skill they have attained they may buy and extra point of will power for 10pts up to a maximum of 5. When a wizard has 5 will power the score needed for his lesser mage roll is reduced to 4+.

Woodland creature:
Elves only see Legolas entry in main rulebook.

Signature spell:
A signature spell is the wizard first learnt spell, this is a spell they have master to an almost perfection and can cast it with relative ease. Every wizard has signature spell you may choose a single spell on the below table to suit the wizards background or your own personal preference. Any character who uses a signature spell adds +1 to the dice score needed to use.

Learning the will of magic:
Magic is truly mysterious and difficult to predict, however seers and mages have learnt this mysterious force to a very limited extent. To represent this skill a mage may pick two extra spell on the table below along with his signature spell, these spells are then written on the characters profile:

Name of spell Dice roll to use on
Aura of command (not evil sorcerer) 4+
Aura of dismay 5+
Black dart (evil sorcerer only) 6+
Blinding light (not evil sorcerer) 4+
Chill soul 6+
Command/compel 5+
Drain courage 4+
Fury(Evil sorcerer only) 5+
Natures wrath(not evil sorcerer) 6+
Immobilize/transfix 4+
Panic steed(cannot be used if mounted) 4+
Renew 5+
Sap will 5+
Sorcerous blast 6+
Strengthen will 5+
Terrifying aura 4+
Your staff is broken 5+

Dwarven rune craft
Dwarves do not use magic; rather they inscribe powerful materials such as granite and steel with ancient symbols and insignia which in turn cause a magical affect boosting themselves and others around them. Dwarves do not roll on any table; however they may purchase the following runes as if normal equipment. The purchased rune go in the associated area e.g. Rune of Battle (see profile). These runes are used like normal magic spells; dwarf runes may be activated at ANY time during the game, but a rune can only be used once if successfully cast. (dwarves follow all the normal rules for wizards e.g. lesser mages and will):

Battle Runes Points Effect
Rune of Smiting 5pts When activated this rune adds +2 strength to the user.
Rune of Challenge 5pts When in combat with enemy monsters and/or heroes the caster can re-roll any dice for a turn.
Rune of Sacrifice 15pts If the rune smith dies while outnumbered in combat all enemies that were in base contacts suffer an immediate S6 hit.
Rune of swiftness 10pts When cast this doubles the user fight value in combat.

Armour Runes Points Effect
Rune of Iron 5pts In combat the caster adds +2 to his defence.
Rune of Deflection 10pts All ranged attacks (excluding magical powers) can only wound on a 6+.
Rune of Resistance 15pts All magical powers used against this character for 1 turn are automatically resisted
Rune of Invisibility 5pts See Elven cloak in main rulebook

Command Runes Points Effect
Rune of Fury 5pts All dwarves within 6” of the caster move at twice their movement.
Rune of Courage 10pts See aura of command magical power
Rune of Skill 15pts All dwarves within 6” of the caster gain +1 to their dice roll in combat
Rune of Sniping 10pts All dwarves within 12” that have ranged weapons gain +1 to hit.

Last edited by mauler19 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:51 am, edited 10 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Lesser wizards and rune smith V3.0 ENJOY!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:35 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If I'm right that a rune can only be used once, then I like all four, however the elf one should have fight value of 5 as that is the lowerst elven warrior fight - also their strength and fight should be as warriors, but defence and courage as heroes.
And why are the signature spells happy?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:48 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

thanks alot for the great reply, i have changed the elf profile to make it right, as for the smileys everywhere i forgot to put a space between the colon and D HAHA! :) do you think i should make the good and evil mage Fight value 4 or keep it at 3? thanks!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:52 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I think it would be better if it remained fight 3 even though there are fight 4 warriors as most good warriors & most balanced evil warriors do have fight 3. It would make sense for basic magicians to have the same fight.

By the way, what armies can the magicans and rune caster be selected from eg Durin's Folf, Thranduil's Halls etc...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:56 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

ok sounds good, i honestly designed them to fit in any appropriate army e.g. good wizards go in rohan, gondor, arnor etc. to be honest i love LOTR but i dont know much of the history. if you have a recommendation you would like me to add to make it clearer please let me know and i can add it for you! thanks!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:57 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'll get my copy of LOME and return.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:59 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

sorry this is gonna sound bad, but what is LOME? thanks! :)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:00 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

LOME is Legions of Middle-earth - it list all available armies, troops, what troops go where, allies etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would recommend:

Good wizard - Arnor, the Riders of Eorl(Horse required), Theoden's Host, The Tower of Ecthelion, Minas Tirith, The Fiefdoms, the Army of the High King, the Rangers of Ithilien

Evil wizard - Angmar, the Legions of the White Hand, Isengard Raiders, Dunland, Ciritth Ungo, Dol Guldor, Minas Morgul, Barad-dur, The Easterlings, Variags of Khand, Harad, Far Harad, Umbar

Elf wizard - Rivindell, the Grey Havens, Eregion, Lothlorien, Thranduil's Halls

Dwarf Runecaller - Durin's Folf, Khazad-dum, Erebor.

The majority of armies can field a magicain and the rest, except the Shire & Sharkey's Rogues can ally them in.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:26 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

thats fantastic will update asap
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think you need to reshuffle the spell lists, or change how they are selected, because the odds on 2d6 center around 6, 7, and 8. You have a 1 in 6 chance of getting a 7, but a 1 in 36 chance of getting a 2 or 12. Unless that was your intent, people will usually end up with Transfix, and hardly ever with blinding light.

Also, it's pretty clear from the regular rules that some spells are easier to cast than others, which is roughly based on their power. Allowing a Sorcerous Blast on a 2+ is extremely potent for anyone, never mind a 60 point model. Compare the spell difficulties of a wraith or wizard to get an idea of relative power. Maybe the allowed signature spells should only be a subset of the less powerful options...after all, there's no reason some apprentice, who's life is a blip in Saruman's eye, should be better at Sorcerous Blast than he is.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:47 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Oh yes, the same with black dart (6+) and a few others. I don't have any problems with the likelihood of some spells over others though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:49 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

ok thanks will have a look into that, as i said i did this at work today so still needs a bit of ironing out, :) thanks!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:56 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

mauler19 wrote:
to be honest i love LOTR but i dont know much of the history.

Ah, this makes sense then why you came up with the original rationale. No offense, but there's a reason none of this has been done. LotR doesn't really fit most fantasy old wizard/young apprentice story models. Gandalf isn't like Dumbledore or Obiwan Kenobi :)
Still, there's enough reference to other magic that it's still possible someone found things out for themselves. For example, when Merry stabbed the Witch King, the dagger he used had a spell in it to break the bond of the ring the WK was wearing.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:59 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
I don't have any problems with the likelihood of some spells over others though.

Me either, I just think the likelihood should be based on relative power, and nobody should get Sorcerous blast, black dart or natures wrath for 2+
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:12 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hehe, im sorry if i cause controversy, also whafrog, there is a bit of mention in the way of different magicians e.g. orc shamans uruk shamans, warpriest etc, and i thought to myself if these guys can do this why cant gondorians? :) also i agree the 2+ is a bit silly so i made all the spells a little harder
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:34 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Rather than fate of magic powers randomly 4+ or 6+, maybe the spells themselves should have their own limit, other =wise you could get Black Dart, Sorcerer's Blast, Nature's Wrath on a 4+ and Fury and Sap Will on 6+

Post subject: Re: re-re-re-done! Lesser wizards and rune smith V4.0 ENJOY!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dwarf runesmith is overpriced, considering you have to buy all his spells ontop of the hefty 65pts, he could cost up to 110pts for a model that can cast 3 spells.The runesmith should NOT be defense 4, make it 7, which is the standard defence for a dwarf hero. Id say he's worth about 35pts.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Yes he should have defence 7 or 6 as dwarf heroes do, and strength 4 as dwarf warriors do, to make him on par with the others

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:44 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

i have updated the dwarf rune crafter now has strength 4, defence 7 cost 35 as suggested, cheers for the input guys!