All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:29 pm

Post subject: Beorn / bear profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I didn't know were to post this so moderators feel free to move this to the appropriate place.

Beorn (human)
cost: 170
F--S--D--A--W--C--might--will--fate
6--5--5--3--3----5------3-----3---2

wargear: two handed axe, hand weapon

special rules: (?name?) Beorn may turn into his alter ego bear form after priority is decided, and if in bear form back into a human.

Beorn (giant bear)
cost: --
F S D A W C might will fate
6 7 4 3 2 5-----0----0---0

wargear: teeth and claws (hand weapon)

special rules: (?name?) Beorn may turn into his alter ego bear form after priority is decided, and if in bear form back into a human.
He is but a bear While in bear form Beorn cannot use might, will, or fate. In addition he may not call Stand fast!
If your alter ego dies so do you (bad name, any ideas for a new one?)
If beorn dieds as either a giant bear or as a human he is removed from play and cannot 'change into his bear form and not have died'

So what do you think, I'm new to this profile making thing so I'm not sure about the cost. Also don't be scared to point out more than three bad things, you won't hurt my feelings. :-D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok, just a couple of things...

In his Bear Form, he should probably cause Terror. And I think that his DEF should be slightly higher, even the Wild Warg Chieftain has a 5.

I'd edit his stats slightly, maybe giving him Def 5, 2 Attacks and 2 wounds. The fact that he can't use M/W/F in bear form offsets his cost, and lets you make him cheaper than he should be, because if he's a bear, you are losing the M/W/F rolls.

Rather than giving him different profiles, with different values, perhaps change it to -

Bear form - When Beorn shifts into bear form he gains +2 STR, +1 ATT, and +1 Wound. His movement is also increased to 8". When he shifts to human form, these increases are lost, meaning that if his Bear Form has 1 Wound remaining, he is automatically slain.

Shapeshifter - Beorn may turn into his alter ego bear form after priority is decided, and if in bear form back into a human.

Animal Cunning - Whist in bear form Beorn cannot use might, will, or fate. In addition he may not call Stand fast!

Also, the last rule seems surplus to requirements.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So something like this? I lowered his cost to 140 as on the lotr cost calculator he is 95 points without his special rules or alter ego.

Beorn (human)
cost: 140
F--S--D--A--W--C--might--will--fate
6--5--5--3--3----5------3-----3---2

war gear: two handed axe, hand weapon
special rules: Bear form - When Beorn shifts into bear form he gains +2 STR, +1 ATT, and +1 Wound. His movement is also increased to 8". When he shifts to human form, these increases are lost, meaning that if his Bear Form has 1 Wound remaining, he is automatically slain.
Shapeshifter - Beorn may turn into his alter ego bear form after priority is decided, and if in bear form back into a human.
Animal Cunning - Whist in bear form Beorn cannot use might, will, or fate. In addition he may not call Stand fast!
terror - see the main rules manual
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:11 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nice, but I'd drop the points to 100 or so, since when he changes form he can't use MWF, and with his lowered defence (5), he's more on par with a Mordor Troll. BTW, I do recall the end of the Hobbit, and when he comes back to the battle in bear form iirc the text says the goblin's weapons bounced off him. As it is, if I was fielding him I'm not sure I'd bother with bear form, I'd prefer to have the Might options. Maybe he has to use Will to do it.

How about something like this:

F S D A W C - M W F
5/- 5 5 2 3 4 - 3 2 2

War gear: armour, 2H axe.
Special rules:
Strength of the Bear: Beorn is so strong, he does not suffer the usual -1 to his Fight roll when using his 2H axe, but retains the +1 to Wound.
Goblin Enemy: if there is a Goblin or Warg within 6"/14cm of him at the start of his move phase, he never has to roll Courage.
Clan Chief: as an unruly man of the wilds, Beorn's standfast applies only to Beornings, but it is 12"/28cm.
Skinchanger: by using a point of Will, Beorn can change into Bear form or back to Human form on a 2+.
Bear Form: Beorn gains the following: +1 Fight, +1 Str, +2 Def, +1 Attack, +2"/4cm movement, Terror. He also retains the +1 to Wound due to his huge claws. However, he loses the following: his standfast, due to his inability to provide leadership; and the ability to use Fate dice, due to his headlong berzerker rage.
 Post subject: beorn
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:58 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

yes that seem good characsteristics to me but i would give him more fighting skill.
at least i wouldn't be to happy about it when some stupid cave troll has a lucky roll and rolls a 6, and butchers my big bears friend :sad:
i do like the +1 to wound in both forms.
and instead to not having him rolling for courage when he is around goblins you could say that he can re-roll to wound dice or something.
 Post subject: Beorn
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

This is a good post with good ideas. But now since GW has released the idea of Beornings for WOTR. It's only a matter of time once they release the models, they'll come up with SBG rules. One complaint on the WOTR profile is that they mention nothing about them shapeshifting into bears. Meaning they'll probably will not supply a bear model.

Personally I'm waiting for the Hobbit films to come out and hopefully GW will release a proper Beorn model as human and bear with profile stats.

P.S. I wouldn't be surprised if the custom created rules here are better than the ones GW will eventually come out with.
 Post subject: Re: Beorn / bear profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:28 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I do more like 2 profiles, this is clearer than if you have to check everytime what his stats are as a bear.

Also, how about this?

Beorn (man)
F S D A W C - M/ W/ F
5/- 5 5 2 3 4 - 3 2 2

War gear: armour, 2H axe.
Special rules:
Strength of the Bear: Beorn is so strong, he does not suffer the usual -1 to his Fight roll when using his 2H axe, but retains the +1 to Wound.
Goblin Enemy: if there is a Goblin or Warg within 6"/14cm of him at the start of his move phase, Beorn can make a free heroic move, as long as he charges the Goblin/Warg. If there are multiply goblins/wargs, he can choose wich one to charge.
Clan Chief: as an unruly man of the wilds, Beorn's standfast applies only to Beornings, but it is 12"/28cm.
Skinchanger: by using a point of Will, Beorn can change into Bear form or back to Human form on a 2+.

Beorn (giant bear)(move: 20 cm/ 8")

F S D A W C M /W/ F
6/- 6 7 3 3 4 3 2 2

Wargear: teeth and claws

Special rules:

Skinchanger: After priority is decided, Beorn can try to transform back into his human form. to do this, he must roll a dice, on the roll of a 2+, he is replaced with his human form.

They are still the same: Beorn (giant bear) and Beorn(man) always have the same number of wounds, might, will and fate.

Terror

He is but a bear: Beorn (giant bear) cannot use might to modify a dice, will to modify a courage test and can't use fate points.

Animal cunning: Beorn is a giant bear and so, only animals can use his Stand Fast! or benefit from his heroic actions. (don't know what a beorling is, probably they should be included overhere too)

heavy weight: If Beorn charged, wins the fight but did not kill his enemy/enemies, the enemies are knocked to the ground. note: this is after the wound roll so they don't count as trapped

Huge claws: Due do his giant claws, Beorn gets +1 on the wound chart.

First profile is copied

If I'm not using correct English, I'm really sorry but I'm Dutch
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:08 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

there should be a larger disadvantage to the bear form, doesnt appear to be much reason to be in human form to me, maybe im wrong i am new, i would think there might be a cost of some form to changing as well, it would take a lot of energy (i assume) to do that, rather than just a 2+

liking the idea though definitely a character that needs to be put on the field :)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:48 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Maybe he's dangerous to non-Beorning allies in his bear form? Remember Gandalf warned Bilbo and the dwarves from going outside Beorn's house at night.

My suggestion: If there's such an ally within 10 cm/4" at the beginning of turn, Beorn must roll 3+ or spend a Will point, or the enemy player controls him for that turn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ares B wrote:
Maybe he's dangerous to non-Beorning allies in his bear form? Remember Gandalf warned Bilbo and the dwarves from going outside Beorn's house at night.

My suggestion: If there's such an ally within 10 cm/4" at the beginning of turn, Beorn must roll 3+ or spend a Will point, or the enemy player controls him for that turn.

quite like that idea, i think once in a fight he would go beserk so probably wouldnt differentiate between friend/foe quite so easily, considering his stats make him quite a good fighter a penalty for people backing him up sounds good.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ares B wrote:

That was because of the other bears. There's nothing to suggest otherwise, in fact after changing to bear form he rescued Thorin, which shows he could retain his presence of mind.

Funny to see this thread resurrected after 2 years. I've been on here too long :)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

He should be much more powerful as a bear; Beorn pretty much single-handedly defeats the Goblin army at the Battle of the Five Armies.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well, how much more powerful? Mordor Troll? Troll Chief? Drake? Balrog?

Also, he chose to start the battle as a man, and only went "bear-zerk" :) when Thorin when down. What are the implications?

All kinds of possibilities:
- he loses standfast in bear form but gains attacks, strength and defense equivalent to cave troll
- he spends will to turn to bear form but can't turn back, gains attacks, strength and defense equivalent to cave troll +1D
- he spends *all* his heroic stats to turn to bear form, but gains S7, D8, +2 attacks and a free heroic fight every turn (like Elendil)
- etc.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah, funny to see a second of my old threads (camera one aswell) resurrected. Anyways, maybe give beorn 4 or 5 will, but after he turns into a bear he has to spend one will every turn or he will turn back into a human. (This is at "TheGoblinTacticus" profile)
That way if he succesfully rolls the 2+ the first time he can be in bear form for four more turns, or he can come back, but then he will have to take the chance of rolling a 1 when he next tries to turn bear. I also really like that he can't use might/will/fate when he is a bear, his normal stats are way stronger, but he is still vulnerable to rollling something low on his three attack dices and losing, and then he can't boost them with might. A good trade off in my mind.
Anyways, all that to say I like "TheGoblinTacticus" profile, but maybe make the change of the 4/5 will and expend one a turn to stay in bear form. :)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:48 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Does anyone know where to get any 28mm miniatures to represent these Beornings in WotR?
Perhaps use the Wild Men of Dunlending?
Any help appreciated
Cheers
Kev
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog wrote:

Probably similar to a Dragon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:31 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

General Elessar wrote:
whafrog wrote:

That seems excessive. Gandalf could have sent Beorn after Smaug then. Never mind that the model would suffer from the Aragorn (King) problem: too expensive, nobody would field it.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog wrote:
General Elessar wrote:
whafrog wrote:

That seems excessive. Gandalf could have sent Beorn after Smaug then. Never mind that the model would suffer from the Aragorn (King) problem: too expensive, nobody would field it.

I do understand, but it's tricky to give a profile for Beorn that is in harmony with every other profile. He should have a profile that is capable of taking out a horde of Goblins, but isn't quite as powerful as a Dragon. How's this?

F-7 S-7 D-7 A-5 W-5 C-6

Post subject: Re: Beorn / bear profile ((SBG))
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I play him as::
130pts
Bear Form:: F7 S7 D7 A3 W4 C5 Might 2 Will 3 Fate 2
Human Form:: F5 S6 D6 A3 W3 C5 Might 2 Will 3 Fate 2

Human Form::
Using a 2hd axe, only a 2hd axe, without the -1 penalty to his FV due to his strength.
Bear Form::
Terror - as in the Main Rulebook.
Bodyguard - Must nominate 1 hero at the START of the game PRIOR to placement of troops/figures that Beorn feels an overwhelming sense to protect (unbreakable bond). If that Hero is immobilized, transfixed, knocked-down, killed or otherwise taken out of "action;" Beorn goes into a Rage that automatically transforms him into Bear form. He then must do all that he can do to charge the model, he is allowed one and only one free Heroic Fight, that incapacitated the nominate hero (up to and including the use of Might for Heroic Moves and Heroic Combat). Once in Rage, Beorn is unable to transform back into Human form until the end of the battle (NOT the fight).
Standfast - 12" only with other Beornlings, either in human- or bear- form.
Once he switches into Bear Form, for any reason, he STAYS in Bear Form till the entire BATTLE is over. There is no swapping back and forth.
He also does not gain advantage of other Good Hero's Stand Fast. He is his own entity, his own...race.

**To clarify a few points: My profile for Beorn allows him to switch into and out of Bear Form at will, because once he switches into Bear Form he is that till the Battle ends. He also can use M/W/F in Bear Form because in the books it gives me the sense that he is not "gone"...not a true wild animal. So he is able to still use M/W/F. Also Fate is a mystical thing a "something" that makes Hero's ..hero's and not mundane. So his abilities play both in Human- and Bear- form, after all Beornlings KNOW Beorn is Beorn.
I do like the "Hatred of Goblins" idea. Where if he's within 6" of a goblin/warg he does not have to take a Courage Test. Though I can see that being misused...ex. Charging a Terror monster with Goblins nearby; instead of charging the goblins/wargs that generate his hate. As to the +1 wound, I did think about adding it but decided against it cause I wanted Beorn to be of flesh and blood ((Though a 145pt version of Beorn WITH the +1 wound ability can be feasible)) . If he was to "much" then no one would allow him and where is the fun in that? I would have given him 3 Might, but then the sense of Beorn being an imposing creature would be negated if he was easily transfixed/immobilized/etc.**

This puts him on par with Buhrdur, Warg Chieftain, Mordor Troll Chief, etc. and still give Beorn Bear Form the feel that he was in The Hobbit. The Defence was the one point that drew a lot of thought. He does have in literature a crazy "iron-hide," but that was against goblins. So I finally decided on having 1pt less than most of the mentioned Trolls and left it at that. The Attacks, well after looking as some of the "Hero" profile from both sides...3 attacks seemed about the highest and rightfully so.

His low point cost is due to the fact that once the nominated hero goes down he is "out-of-control" ..in a sense. He's always throwing himself in combat, no tactics to it... just wham-slam-bam. (course I've seen players in my club not follow this guideline, which defeats the purpose of having Rage)

Anywho...let me know what you guys think of the profile. Never occurred to me that others would have thought of a profile for Beorn.

-Scar :puppy:

((Wild Men are excellent Beornlings in human form. My Beorn is a converted Dunlending 2hd warrior that is slightly converted. Beorn bear form is a heavy conversion of warhammer bits...he's got to be a LARGE :-X TERROR!! LOL))

edited:: to include the true profile of Beorn that I wrote up. At the time I wrote this I did not have my sheet readily available. -Me :puppy:

Last edited by ScarpeIron on Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I like your concept! The bodyguard/uncontrolled change fits his role in the battle game very well. I'm also wondering if as a bear he might get movement 10", or is that too much?