All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:22 am

Post subject: SBG 600pts Harad n Allies
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:25 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So, after turning over the idea of doing a Grey Company force for an upcoming 2-day event, I have changed my mind (yes, fickle, fickle me), back to one of my first loves: Harad. So here goes. Please note, I am at work, so points values may not be exact because I do not have any of my stuff with me.

Harad
Haradrim Chieftain
25 Haradrim Warriors (might all run with Spear, or might max out the bow limit on the Haradrim contingent by having 2 of them with bows, thoughts?)
Haradrim Warrior with Banner
10 Watchers of Karna with Bow

Far Harad
Mahud Chieftain with Shield
1 Half Troll with 2 handed weapon
6 Mahud Warriors

The Nazgul
Khamul the Easterling

Bows: 10
M:6
Models: 46

Now, I am pretty please with this list so far, and, bonus, I don't have to buy anything extra. I feel it is in line with the background (only thing I could change here really is switching Khamul for either The Betrayer or The Knight of Umbar, but I figure the Wraiths are no longer tacked down to any specific regions, except maybe the Witch-King. Any experts out there wanna call me on that, be my guest, it has been a while since I read anything Tolkien.) I have enough shooting built in thanks to the Watchers, at least enough accurate shooting to maybe slow down some unbarded cavalry (which considering I will probably see a fair share of evil v. evil) or fast gribblies coming my way. Khamul and the Half-Troll can provide assassination shenanigans (Transfix + S5 2hw should crack most nuts, no?), and once whoever closes in I got me plenty of multiple attacks to win fights and save the day. The only 2 weaknesses I can see (which doesn't mean there aren't more, obvs) are that it is low on Might points (only 6, 2 of which are tacked down to Khamul to help him survive), and that I have a low model count. 46 guys when my best D outside of the Wraith and the King is 5...

Post subject: Re: SBG 600pts Harad n Allies
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Unfortunately the Mahud chief is a terrible hero, you really need to upgrade him to a king. The main problem is he will run as fast as a goblin when broken, and all his warriors will follow. The king at least has decent courage, and he has to use his move to charge into a fight, or his troops will run. Finessing the endgame with Mahud can sometimes take a bit of doing...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yeah man, I always write up my list with a King in mind, then get greedy for a few more bodies and end up downgrading him to Chieftain. 15 pts is a small price to pay for C4 and 1 more point of W. Will have to recompute all of this, must have some points lying around somewhere...

Here:

Harad
Haradrim Chieftain
24 Haradrim Warriors (might all run with Spear, or might max out the bow limit on the Haradrim contingent by having 2 of them with bows, thoughts?)
Haradrim Warrior with Banner
10 Watchers of Karna with Bow

Far Harad
Mahud King with Shield
1 Half Troll with 2 handed weapon
5 Mahud Warriors

The Nazgul
Khamul the Easterling

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Cool theme! :) I would definitely max out the bow limit, and might even drop a few Watchers to add in more basic Haradrim bowmen. Even though the Watchers are great, you really need more than 10 shots with a 600 pt force, especially when the majority of your army is D3 or D4, otherwise you will quickly lose a shooting battle and will be subsequently destroyed by enemy bowfire on the way into combat. I would keep a few Watchers for their combat prowess, but build the majority of my archers from the super-cheap, yet effective, Haradrim bowmen.

I would also consider adding a few Raiders for speed and tactical flexibility (if you have them). I've also found that putting Khamul on a horse allows him to make the most of his Will-regeneration rule.

Very cool theme and overall should be a fun army to play with! Cheers!

"With hope in our hearts, and wings on our heels" - Chariots of Fire
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Unfortunately, I just realized that by maxing out my bow limit...that means just adding 2 archers. Now I could probably drop a few Watchers as you said to add both Spears and a few bows, will see what I have knocking around... However, I prefer to have fewer, more reliable archers, than the reverse. Plus, this event I am going to will have a lot of evil on evil games, meaning I need something, other than Martial Pride Mahud to tackle/slow down trolls and such. I feel the Watchers can do that, plus provide a wealth of attacks and such. I guess I will have to playtest this a bit more.
On the subject of cavalry, I have never had any good results with Raiders. I have plans for a cavalry expansion once I have built up the main tribe (which will be the main body of spears, chieftain and banner)To be able to use them effectively, I would have to mount either Khamul or my Chieftain...which would leave my center a bit bare...
On the subject of Khamul, I am growing increasingly tempted to switch him out for the Dark Marshal: he is cool + he saves me 30pts from not having to take a banner, points which can be allocated to switching my Mahud Chieftain to a King and maybe adding some more spears/bows in the form of more Haradrim.

Dilemnas, dilemnas, dilemnas!!!
Keep it coming guys! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:12 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

10 bows in 600pts with a majority of force being D4 and only 46 models - you're not winning many tournaments with that (or many friendly games either).

I would drop the Mahud part completely and boost the Harad contingent, you need at least 60 models with about 18+ bows at this level with Harad. Watchers are good, but saying that they're more reliable in shooting is illogical because if you swapped them for Haradrim then you would have more Haradrim, almost equalling their shooting capabilities, plus you would increase your numbers and not lose volley fire after first dead model.