All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:27 pm

Post subject: Aragorn-Arathorn conversion
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Im just wondering how easy you guys think it would be to convert an aragorn model into arathorn, this would entail lengthening his hair and adding a big manly beardand maybe some chainmail! I have got two potential aragorn models, which are these two:

(Those pictures are not mine, one is by a user named macgothmog's and the other is from a site called "coolminiornot" incase anyones interested...)

The mini i want to convert them into is this (guy on the left):

What i would like is some tips on how make green stuff beards and armour, i would also appreciate someones opinion on which model would be better for the conversion, thank you very much :)
 Post subject: Re: Aragorn-Arathorn conversion
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have thought of this as well since I have several Aragorn models but don't intend to paint and play more then a couple (likewise I'm converting some spare Legolas models into Sentinel Captains and will figure out what to do with extra Gimlis when I ever get around to Dwarves). I think the one with him standing static on the stone and his sword held high is the one I will go with. I always think of Strider / Aragron as a very active leader. Right in the mix of battle, swinging away with Anduril and generally making the lives of his enemies much shorter. This pose, though dramatic, isn't that.

Another plus of converting (besides not spending overpriced rates on a mini) is that you have a guaranteed family resemblance. 8)

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

second aragorn looks a fair bit easier, just need to replace his right arm with a spare you may have that doesnt hold weapon, or leave it as it is or you could even give arathon a bow to hold in his non-sword hand.
:legolas:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:41 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'd also pick the second option for the same reasons stated above. I'm not good at sculpting myself, but you might want to look through the tomes of wisdom as there are some brilliant guides to sculpting in there, hopefully some of them have some information of use to you - http://one-ring.co.uk/kb.php?c=16

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks for the tip, i read all the articles (that smaug is amazing!!) Someone on TLA pointed out that with the first aragorn, all i need to do is raise his sword arm and maybe turn his head a bit, whereas with the other one i would need to detatch the arm, which could be a pain seeing as how it is part of the mini...

What kit do you guys use for getting clean cuts when removing limbs, and heads?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:22 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I haven't done much converting, but people generally use a razor saw/jewellers saw because it has lots of small sharp teeth and the saw itself is fairly stiff.

In addition to the sculpting articles on this site, there is also this list of articles (just scroll down a bit) which cover all sorts of things, as well as some general info on different putties.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:42 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Like Elros said, Razor/Jewellers saw would be one of the best for a clean cut.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:06 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'll throw in my 2c:

Firstly, on the concept: I didn't like GW's take of Zach Galafinakis as Arathorn. In the books, due to his high Numenorean blood, Aragorn had no beard and thus Arathorn probably didn't either. I'd bulk the existing beard out a little, but not to the Santa Clause-like extreme of the GW mini.

Secondly, on the conversion itself: be very careful with the saw, as it should be able to cut through flesh and bone with ease. Also, I'd do the cutting on a stable and flat, but not hard surface. Pressing down on the metal mini while you cut the arm off can cause you to lose detail if it's being pressed against a hard surface like a desk. Learned that one the hard way in my early days...

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeh, if you have one of those self healing cutting mats, it would be a good time to make use of it. It has some give, and if you nick it it's not as bad as nicking the nice new dining room table edge. :shock: :P