All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:24 am

Post subject: Start with WotR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey all,

I am thinking of getting into War of the Ring, and start with something new.
I don't know much about it, but I thought of this 1000 points army list.

Celeborn - 175
Galadriel - 175

4 Galadhrim Regiments with shield - 200
4 Galadhrim Regiments with shield - 200
2 Galadhrim Archer Regiments - 100
2 Galadhrim Archer Regiments - 100

This takes me to 950 points. I'm not sure what to do with it. Maybe I could get some command or replace the Galadhrim Archer Regiments with 3 Companies of Haldir's Elves.

Is this list too hero heavy? Any suggestions to improve the list are appreciated.
Thanks!

-Meneldil

Post subject: Re: Start with WotR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My suggestion is that Wood Elves are better than Galadhrim for the most part because they are immune to anything that is 12" or more away from them, are cheaper and the +1D makes very little difference, as well as them having Throwing Weapons for if they look like they'll end up in combat. So, swicth the archers for wood elf warbands with longbows and you also gain 10 points.

It's not too hero heavy, but I would say that you have too many points in heroes. That's 35% of your army and they have a maxmimum of 4 companies of protection. Bodies are one of the best ways to win in WotR for me, so drop at least one and take some more troops (ally in some cheaper/tougher guys). I'd even consider dropping both and taking Haldir (whether as a Legendary formation or an Epic Hero - good with Celeborn as well) and maybe Thranduil.

I wouldn;t bother with command upgrades - if you want Might and At the Double!s, then take Epics ;)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi Meneldil,

Elves would be the toughest list to run. However, the better versions I've seen at 1000pts would be Galadrim with Shields, just the one unit of three bow (and they would be WoodElves or better yet Sentinels) a third melee unit. They'd be making up the points by pairing Galadriel with the cheaper heroes like Cirdan (6+ save, spell can lower enemy courage), Haldir (good value and pairs well with Galadriel) and especially the twins Elrohir and Elladan (These guys really leverage the might flow from Galadriel via Counsellors and Epic Renewal).

You can fit a unit of High-Elf cohort in 1000pts and they are worth considering, despite their cost. Elves get a lot of benefit through running bunkers (Epic Defense + the healing spell - blessing of the Valar?). WoodElves can screen other units too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ok so if I'm right I should take either Celeborn or Galadriel and then a cheaper hero like Haldir or the twins. Cirdan wouldn't fit from a thematic point of view.
What would be the best combination?

You also mentioned Thranduil and that gave me the idea of creating an list based on the Fall of Dol Guldur. :) I don't know if this would work, but I think it's better than the first list anyway.

Celeborn - 175 (could also be replaced with Galadriel if that would be much better)
Thranduil - 125

6 Galadhrim Regiments with shields - 300 (Celeborn in here)
4 Galadhrim Regiments with shields - 200
4 Wood Elf Warbands with longbows - 180 (Thranduil in here)

Total of 980 points.

I think a formation of six elf regiments is quite dangerous. :P

To keep the list a bit themed is preferred, and it's only for friendly games. :)

-Meneldil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Spell casting Galadriel, definitely. Cirdan would only be a third choice behind preferably the twins or Haldir.

The issue I see with how you have it above is (minor) 1. for the points I'd be inclined to take sentinels over normal woodelves, since it is a Galadrim based list and 2. (more important) you need to be looking to play the list with more maneuver elements to get the best out of the Elves. It doesn't hurt that this makes the game more interesting to play too, in terms of the turn sequence. So I would suggest units of four for the melee troops and three for the bow. The Epic heroes then need to bounce around (and this is why the twins are so handy and Elven captains so attractive) so that you have 8" move path-finding troops that can double around.

With an army like this (well WOTR generally), you are aiming to separate out target units units; and then hit them with multiple units so that they are flanked (which gets you behind shields and reduces their dice). Then elven abilities like lowering strength (sentinels) and terror can be focused with spells to help them along. This is the type of thing that needs to be happening to make up for the eye-wateringly high Elven base costs!

As long as you aren't trying to combo things with Radagast, it is pretty difficult to make an Elven list that is 'too hard', even when you really want to.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Galadriel, Lady of Lothlorien - 175
Elrohir - 35
Elladan - 35 (are the twins better than Haldir?)

3 Mirkwood Sentinels - 150

What do you suggest to do with the 200 points left? Another formation of 4 Galadhrim Regiments? Are Knights useful?

-Meneldil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Knights are very sueful if they charge( dodge the pikes!)
Now look:
Haldir is faster with Galadriel in the same army and has more courage and three might
Elladan and Elrohil have 1 might each (Watch Dwimmerlaik!) and so with their special rule is like they have 4 might... Also they are good against orcs...
So both ahve useful advantages and I suggest you to choose who you like more... 8)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:35 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You coulsd spend some of those extra points on Radagast or a large cheap block of Minas Tirith Warriors.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi Meneldil, with that lot you have there, personally I'd be adding in more Galadrim. High Elf Cohort are a good option too and have the advantage (though at a cost!) that they don't suffer more vs str4 troops like the Galadrim do.

I do think the Twins are better than Haldir, they allow you to stack up the heroic actions through jointly calling them. This can either make your units do more damage vs the damage they receive (Heroic Fight) or really leverage going second in priority by then using Heroic Charge to pin targets. Best of all, one of the Twins has Epic Strike. In this game, resilience isn't as important as being able to win fights. I've seen that Twin take out Saruman.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

alright, thanks a lot guys!
I'll buy some boxes of Galadhrim, and then take twins + Galadriel I think.
Theme wise more galadhrim would fit better than High elf cohort, but I'll consider taking them. I could always say the twins brought them.

But something else I'd like to know is: Is Glorfindel worth his points, and at what points level is he useful?

Thanks!

- Meneldil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Glorfindel is evry good for killings single models... Maybe he would be good in a 1500 points match... 8)