All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:43 pm

Post subject: The Tainted
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:59 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey everyone, the other day I managed to get my hands on one of the named Nazgûl, The Tainted!

I've being looking in the Tomes of Wisdom for some kind of guide on painting Nazgûl, specifically on how to get those very subtle greys and blues on the mini (shown above), finding this article kb.php?a=116 in which the author achieves hints of blue and grey, mostly on the neck and legs of the Fell beast, with a technique called Glaze. I'm not quite sure I totally understand it, I'm getting the idea that its a very thinned highlight that goes over highlighted painted areas. If possibly could anyone explain this technique or share some useful links? Also if any help can be given on painting The Tainted Nazgûl, Nazgûl in general or even just how to achieve subtle colours on minis like shown above would be most appreciated! :-D

Post subject: Re: The Tainted
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Here is The Tainted's general info!
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... rod1570028

Last edited by DeadLurtz on Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:58 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Remove his profile, stats and specila rules, I believe it is illegal to post them on here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey Deadlurtz could you edit that last post? We're not supposed to post profiles as GW could get the O-R in trouble. Thanks :)
As to glazes, they are very thinned washes yes. But you don't just pile it on the figure and let it go into the creases, as you don't want that. Normally you dab off the majority of the paint onto a piece of paper towel, then apply the glaze to the raised edges. Glazes are normally used to get very smooth transitions, as well as subtle variations in the same colour. (A coloured glaze or two on a sword blade to give it some colour, some purple glazes on a figures face to give it some depth, or some brown glazes on grey clothing to give it a little bit of variation and warm it up.)
I haven't really used glazes myself, so I'm not necessarily the one to speak. You could send a pm to macgothmog or tidoco and specifically ask about glazes and see what they have to say. They would definitely know more about them than I would.
Hope I helped
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A Glaze is basically made from paint, liquid hand soap and water.

Mix 1:1 paint and liquid hand soap (I like clear SoftSoap), then mix in 3-4 parts water or enough to make it a wash-like consistency. The soap breaks the surface tension of the paint/water and allows a smooth cover as a glaze for an even tone all over the applied area.

What I would do in this case, is give it a light drybrush of the highlight color, then mix a 1:1 of the base and highlight for the glaze. That should give you an overall even transition from dark to light.

For example, drybrush the cloak shadow grey.

mix 1:1 Shadow Grey/black. Add a drop of liquid hand soap to this mix (equal to or a bit less than the amount of paint) and add 3-4 parts water.

Glaze the parts of the cloak that were drybrushed.

Hope this helps.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Wow that helped a lot actually! Thank you! I understand what it is and what its for but I must admit, it sounds pretty advanced and I'm sure it takes some good practice and time which, in a way, is awesome! I'll pm macgothmog and tidoco for sure and with their permission share the information here for everyone else interested!
(Sorry about the profile, didn't know it could jeopardize the place)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Elland wrote:
A Glaze is basically made from paint, liquid hand soap and water.

Mix 1:1 paint and liquid hand soap (I like clear SoftSoap), then mix in 3-4 parts water or enough to make it a wash-like consistency. The soap breaks the surface tension of the paint/water and allows a smooth cover as a glaze for an even tone all over the applied area.

What I would do in this case, is give it a light drybrush of the highlight color, then mix a 1:1 of the base and highlight for the glaze. That should give you an overall even transition from dark to light.

For example, drybrush the cloak shadow grey.

mix 1:1 Shadow Grey/black. Add a drop of liquid hand soap to this mix (equal to or a bit less than the amount of paint) and add 3-4 parts water.

Glaze the parts of the cloak that were drybrushed.

Hope this helps.

Lets say I do the Shadow Grey/Black Glaze over my dry brushed area, is it possible to Glaze that area again? and now with a Blue? Or I do insert the Blue in the Shadow Grey/Black, liquid soap, 3-4 parts water mix?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I found this video on YouTube and I think is pretty explicit on glazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX_OVsEL ... re=related