All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:26 pm

Post subject: WOTR D3 + Might
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:23 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This is very much a RAW vs. RAI problem and I wouldn't even ask it except for the fact that I'm practicing for the Forging of Fates tournament and this came up in my playtesting. When I use Might to increase the score of a D3, can I increase it to 6? The rulebook states on page 65 "Each point of Might that is expended can be used to adjust a single dice score up or down by one to a maximum of 6 or to a minimum of 1." The War of the Ring FAQ/Errata states "Although we use a D6 to generate the D3 result, the D3 has just as much dignity as its big brother – it can therefore be modified as if it was a ‘real’ dice. For example, if you roll a 3 on a D6, this would normally give a result of 2 on the D3. If a point of Might is spent to increase the score, then the score becomes a 3 (the D3’s 2 increases by 1)."

This seems like just an oversight by the developers and/or whoever wrote the errata/FAQ but logically it means I can use Might to modify a D3's score into a 6. While it seems out of spirit with the rules(and I wouldn't use nor condone the use in casual play), I would like to know if this is the correct ruling in a tournament setting.
 Post subject: Re: WOTR D3 + Might
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:48 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Might can be used normally there... When rolling a D3 you can change the roll to 6 which would mean 3 as 5,6 on the dice for D3 means the number '3'. 8)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:56 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Had they not written the FAQ/Errata, I would be inclined to agree with you but as it states if one were instructed to roll a D3 and then rolled a 3 on a D6, a single point of might could be used to increase the score to 3.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The D3 is a die - it just happens to be worked out by rolling a D6 and dividing it by two.

Resultingly, you are rolling a 1, 2 or 3. To make it a 6 with Might, you roll the three (on the D3. 5 or 6 on the D6, divided by two.) and then spend three points of Might.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:30 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
The D3 is a die - it just happens to be worked out by rolling a D6 and dividing it by two.

Resultingly, you are rolling a 1, 2 or 3. To make it a 6 with Might, you roll the three (on the D3. 5 or 6 on the D6, divided by two.) and then spend three points of Might.

This is how I read it but I just wanted to make sure. It seems pretty strong in some situations.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It seems strong, but it's not stronger than adding one to a D6 - it's theoretically weaker because one point of Might can get you a maximum of 4 on a D3, but 7 on a D6.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:50 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

But you can't get a 7 on a D6 as evidenced in the original post.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Which is superceded in certain circumstances in the main rulebook - E.G. Charge distance, which can be taken to above 6. I also feel like rolls on the Ridiculously/Extremely Hard to Kill tables can,b ut I don't think it's mentioned as an exemption.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:53 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
I also feel like rolls on the Ridiculously/Extremely Hard to Kill tables can,b ut I don't think it's mentioned as an exemption.

Yes it is. Charge distance and rolls on tables (such as extremely hard to kill) are both specifically mentioned as being the only die rolls that can be raised above the die's normal maximum.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Been a while since I read the FAQ, lol.