All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:22 am

Post subject: Gondor army
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:18 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi all.
I am beging a Gondor army for the SBG. I am going to start with a 500point list witch goes something like this.

Hero's
Farimir capitan of Gondor 75points
Heavy armour

Warriors
8 warriors of Minas-tirith 72points
Spears, Sheilds

8 warriors of Minas-tirith 64points
Shields

bows

8 rangers of Gondor 64points

8 rangers of Gondor 64points

8 rangers of Gondor 72points
Spears

Total= 475points

Please give me any suggestions on what would make this list better. I am looking to bring it up to 1000points eventually by adding a bunch of knights of minas-tritith and some knights of Dol Amroth.
 Post subject: Re: Gondor army
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:26 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Better write your army this way:
Hero's
Farimir capitan of Gondor 75points
Heavy armour

Warriors
8 warriors of Minas-tirith 72points
Spears, Sheilds

Shields

bows

16 rangers of Gondor 128points

8 rangers of Gondor 72points
Spears

Total= 475points 49 models, 3 Might, 32 bows

I see you don't have Legions of Middle earth which is a book for official armies ( Is a MUST in tournaments)...
Good beginner army... By the way are you from Greece???
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:59 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You could add Beregond or Pippin, I believe they are 25 points (don't have my books with me). Or you could add Damrod from the Rangers list.
It doesn't sound like you're playing with the Legions of Middle Earth rules. Most people do, so you might want to consider it. The important parts are the army lists, the model limit, and the bow limit.
The bow limit is usually 33%. What this means for your army is that only 8 of your rangers will get to shoot, which, by convention, is only the models posed as shooting. Unfortunately this is quite the waste of equipment and talent...they shoot better than WoMT and you can't drop their bows to save points. A more efficient list might be:
16 WoMT, shields, spears
16 WoMT, shields
16 Rangers, spears

This way all your rangers can shoot. Of course, it requires another box of each...

The model limit at 500 points is 50 models, and 75 models at 1000 points. This is to keep goblins and other cheap troops from completely owning the game.

The army lists are designed to keep armies relatively themed and balanced. What you have looks like a Rangers of Ithilien list, except in that list Faramir can't have heavy armor. He can only have heavy armor in the Tower of Ecthelion list, which rangers aren't part of. A couple solutions are: give Faramir armor and a bow from the Rangers list (naturally, he can't have a bow in the Tower list). You can still ally in Beregond or Pippin from the Tower list, since the Rangers and Tower lists can be allied. Or you could keep Faramir's heavy armor from the Tower list, and use a Rangers list hero like Damrod to lead the rest of the troops.

If you expand you'll have to consider which lists you're adding to and whether they can be allied.

None of this really matters in home games, except you will get more balanced results if you use the LoME rules. Hope that helps.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I agree with whafrog and Hilbert.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:23 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for all your advice.

Hilbert: I do have the legions of middle earth book I forgot to add the amount of models how many bows I have and the armies might. I am not from Greece I am actually an Australian but I have begun to learn how to speak ancient Greek as it was my favourite ancient civilisation.

Whafrog:Thanks a lot mate I understand I have not yet designed the list from the LOTR rule book. I do have the legions of middle earth book but I haven't played for years and I forgot about the different lists.

Thanks for your advice guys I really appreciate it. I will rewrite the list via the legions of middle earth book. I would like to see what you have to say about it.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:05 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok then... I just ask because Alexander is a common Greek anme... Thanks for your interest in our ancient language, is one of my favourite subjects too...
Anyway I can't wait for your list :-D
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If you can find a copy, the Gondor in Flames sourcebook is pretty useful.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hilbert: I prefer my full name it is much better then the shorter name and its what my girlfriend likes to call me. I have always had a fascination with ancient Greece a people constantly at war with each other but on so many occasions the individual kingdoms would take up arms together to repeal a common enemy.

Whafrog: I will do my best to get a copy of the Gondor in flames book. Does it contain any addition units, rules or anything that may affect the way an army is played?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:16 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yep, a few extra heroes for your Rangers, some fiefdoms profiles (Dol Amroth pikes, clansmen, etc), Knights can have shields, and some decent scenarios. There are also a couple new profiles on GW's website, check their White Dwarf archives for PDFs, there is a new ranger leader and a different type of ranger (more effective against monsters). There is also a new Faramir model and profile (which IMHO is great), but I think it hasn't been released on PDF yet.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:34 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks I will have to purchase it next time I get down to my hobby store.